It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Time Travel is Possible - Couldnt We Lure a Traveller in?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hi all,

sorry if this has all the hallmarks of a silly post, but its a niggling question that wont escape my head this evening!

OK, "IF" time travel is possible, any time in the future, wouldnt it be possible to attract a future traveller to a specific place at a specific time purely by building some kind of monument thats going to last a long long time with a specific message on it. (like a pyramid but only smaller)

It Could read something like this -

Dear Future Traveller. Please visit this location, at this specific time, for a meeting with this specific person. Thankyou.

Then all you have to do is turn up and wait for a response off someone who can provide proof of who they are!!

Could this work? any ideas?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
OK, "IF" time travel is possible, any time in the future

I like your question and I'd say yes but, theoretically if at any point ever time travel were to become a reality then it always was a reality. I personally think if it were ever possible we would of already known because we would of told ourselves.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I read a smiliar question posed before to a group of intellectuals, in which the majority concluded no enlightened life forms would want to breech a planet deemed as a staging area for insane hedonists isolated by their own physical manifestations and laws.

So another question arises: would you want to visit a prison for the criminally insane knowing there would be very little chance of escape or ever returning to your origin?

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Well many in the science community are now believing that someone from the future is sabotaging the LHC as they may see it as an "abhorrent of nature". More like they know what it would do and trying to stop the damage it will cause.

i mean the altest problem... "A bird throws bread into it" my ass! it's deep underground!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Time travel is theoretically possible. The only problem is that physics says that the earliest time you could travel back to is when the time machine was created. So since I don't know of any time machines that has been created so far, this time in history will forever be off limits.

Also, if you want to know how a time machine can be created read on.

1. Make a wormhole.
2. Take one end of it on a high speed ride (~speed of light)
3. Done! Each end of the wormhole sits in different times. (see theory of relativity)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think we are better off without such power.
Imagine it in the hands of humans...

It wouldn't be pretty.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
kinda cool thought that.... im going to try that when time travel had been mastered, if am alive! lol.

but, who is to say i havent came back and posted.... or that posts havent been posted from the future already . (i dont think it has personaly, but you never know)

on other thoughts, i wouldnt.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

LOL ..... Most prisoners can be rehabilitated

... and if the time machine is portable , the traveller
wouldn't be stranded , unless he and or she / them somehow
lost or involuntarily lost .... said machine !

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

Well many in the science community are now believing that someone from the future is sabotaging the LHC as they may see it as an "abhorrent of nature". More like they know what it would do and trying to stop the damage it will cause.

Errr no, that isn't what the scientist meant, and as far as I know only a few are saying this:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

They have come up with a theory that it will "ripple backward through time" and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

"It must be our prediction that all Higgs producing machines shall have bad luck,” Dr. Nielsen said.

He meant that by nature this occurs, although the analogy can seem misleading at first.

If the LHC begins working eventually, then this theory is proven wrong.

It seems birds are coming back from the future to drop bread inside the LHC to stop it from being switched on!

Large Hadron Collider broken by bread dropped by passing bird

The Large Hadron Collider’s woes have taken a faintly comic turn after the huge particle accelerator got broken by a piece of bread dropped by a passing bird.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by john124]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Is it possible that the Grays are humans from the future? They're humanoid in form and more advanced. People at present only use something like 10% of their brain power (some less), if we used 100% maybe our brains would grow. Maybe we would become experts in telepathy and telekinesis. All the hallmarks of reported Grays. Maybe they're just on history trips.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I did watch a clip a wee while ago with Kaku and he says that time travellers may be here indeed, but why make yourself known. They could be around, especially at major events in History.

I tend to think more doom and gloom than this though. If time travel is indeed possible, yet there are none coming back to visit, surely it could mean that nothing is here in the near future.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

But what if some advanced alien civilization already made a time machine thousands of years ago. So it could be quite possible

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by assteroid
Is it possible that the Grays are humans from the future? They're humanoid in form and more advanced. People at present only use something like 10% of their brain power (some less), if we used 100% maybe our brains would grow. Maybe we would become experts in telepathy and telekinesis. All the hallmarks of reported Grays. Maybe they're just on history trips.

Please go back to 9th grad biology and pay closer attention. That statement you made is completely false. We use 100% of our brains, just not all of it at the same time, as different areas are designed for different tasks.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think this would make a great movie.

However, time doesn't really exist...therefore making time travel impossible.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
there probably are a few (nothing is impossible) but they probably try to fit in as best as they can i.e. work and pay taxes...so chances are if they are out there ( and they are in the us). they are probably asleep right now because it is important to rest before work

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
We use 100% of our brains, just not all of it at the same time

so really, your saying we Do not use 100% of our brains at the same time. *shakes head* . Call me crazy, but im fairly sure if you are not using all of something, you are not using said thing(here a brain) at 100%.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Physical time travel is a very difficult situation to approach. The paradoxes multiply so fast, largely due to the fact that we don't really understand how time works on the physical level.

Lets postulate a scenario. Jack is a military officer chosen for a mission. His job, if he chooses to accept, is to return to the present from a specific point in time in order to facilitate us with information about the future choices of world leaders and political environments. There are only two requirements, in theory, needed to fulfill this mission:

1. The machine must be turned on and remain on and working
2. Jack must be willing to carry out his duty and return from the appointed future to the appointed past.

The machine is turned on, and an hour later the time of return has been reached. What happens?

If Jack emerges from the machine we will have instantly created a universe wherein there are two Jacks, the present day Jack who has not yet reached the future point whereupon he is to return, and the future Jack who has, right?

We have a serious problem now, because we are no longer certain if the future Jack is from a future that is even relevant to our present universe. Present Jack was to wait 10 years to return, but clearly he is still here and only an hour has passed. How is it then that future Jack can even exist?

Two main possibilities come to mind. The first is that by merely building the machine, turning it on, and giving someone this mission we instantly create a future wherein this mission is fulfilled, and thus despite the fact that only an hour has passed, a man from ten years in the future returns to us with information about our future. However in this scenario we are dealing now with a present which is different from the present of the Jack who has returned to us (his past). In other words, in his past he is the only Jack, whereas in our Jacks past there are two. This changes something, if not potentially many things, about the world our future Jack is from, his information cannot be 100% reliable.

The second is that we will never see this event unfold ourselves. Since we are the original time line wherein the machine is created, we have actually created an alternate past, one which we will never experience. We will have to wait for ten years, then send our one and only Jack into the past. However in this case we are forever doomed to this fate until the end of time, if there is one, since we will forever be the first to create the machine, it will be our duty to perpetually send people back into the past to fulfill these missions, with no knowledge of how it is effecting the future of the worlds upon which these men are emerging. For that reason alone the mission may eventually be abandoned since it does us in the present no good, and because of its unpredictable nature we may be precipitating and creating new problems rather than fixing existing ones.

The question here is can we of this world and this reality ever experience the presence of a physical time traveler due to these problems?

In one scenario we end up with two Jacks, in another we end up with none.

In yet another far more complex scenario we must shut the machine down entirely, or perhaps the machine breaks down in quite a mess. See, if we are able to create the future by merely building the machine, there is the possibility that we create multiple futures wherein Jack returns to the present to inform us of our future. How many Jacks do we have then? Do the numbers approach infinity? Do they all try to come through the machine at once? Would the machine even respond? In this case its easy to imagine many possibilities wherein the machine is unable to handle the load, or where the present suddenly explodes with Jacks (in quite a bloody and horrifying mess) at the moment of return and the machine is destroyed in the process.

Thus there is no guarantee that creating a time machine will actually result in meeting people from the future.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
We use 100% of our brains, just not all of it at the same time

so really, your saying we Do not use 100% of our brains at the same time. *shakes head* . Call me crazy, but im fairly sure if you are not using all of something, you are not using said thing(here a brain) at 100%.

Not 100% of it 100% of the time, genius. How much sense would it be to have the neurons firing away in ht balance area of your brain while you're laying down, watching television in bed? It doesn't. Until you study some psychology or biology, please refrain from filling the board with your "facts". It was completely false information.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
To the above poster... If we used 100% of our Brains 100% of the time, we would go insane and literally burn out.

You could prolly get a traveler to go to a specific point in time, the only problem is that it wont be in your Universe, or your dimension for that matter.

Theoretically speaking of course but if you went back in time, then the act of you even being there is creating a new future, and thus a new reality.

So they would come back, We ( as in us in this reality and dimension ) would not be there to greet them. We'd still be here going man, I wish we could get a time traveler to come here.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

you cant use 100% of something and at exactly the same time only use 10 % of the same something .. thats just not logical dude...

our brains may well use 100% all the time all the time, and at the same time use a % for subconcious thought, but its more of a split than a trade off, like 60% sub concious thought 40% concious thought! but tou cant use 100% on concious thought, and Another 30% on top for sub concious thought, as we can only go up to 100% ..

really, i kinda agree with you, just not the numbers ... but the paragraph above should show what im meaning.

how off topic has this gone now, from time travel to brain percentages >.<

to kinda veer this back on topic , hopefully, in all honesty, i dont think time travel is possible, but if it was possible every jump back or forward would branch off as its own paralell demension/ timeline (one of them ) and not cause any effect to their native dimension/timeline.

I see time as a firmly man made measurement and nothing more, it would be great to travel in time, but really,a second in time for us is the same as a centimetre .. they are both man made measurements for lengths of "things" ...a centimetre is to lenth as a second is to time . (i think i worded that sentance correctly)

[edit on 8-11-2009 by boaby_phet]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join