It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Times: Rare virus poses new threat to troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Washington Times: Rare virus poses new threat to troops

www.washingtontimes.com

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan | U.S. military officials sent a medical team to a remote outpost in southern Afghanistan this week to take blood samples from members of an Army unit after a soldier in the unit died from an Ebola-like virus...

The news comes as the Pentagon disclosed that it has sent 150,000 doses of vaccine for the H1N1 swine flu virus to Qatar for distribution to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan - half of what U.S. Central Command has requested. More than a half dozen Afghans have died of the disease, which apparently was transmitted to the country by foreigners.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
homelandsecuritynewswire.com

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The Ebola virus? Good lord i thought that virus was all but gone and now it shows up killing a US troop. As if things couldn't get any worse over there.

The Times acts like this is a massive surprise when the telegraph reported on an ebola type virus in Afghanistan in 2001 so it is already understood that it is in the country.

The worst part of the article is when they mention the 150k swine flu vaccines that had been sent there. What does H1N1 have to do with this story.

Just another example of the media using anything possible to promote the vaccine even going so far as to mention Swine Flu in an article about Ebola. Classic

My heart goes out to the victims family.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here is the telegraph article talking about Ebola in Afghanistan back in 2001

Telegraph: Ebola like virus in Afghanistan

THE largest outbreak in history of a highly contagious disease that causes patients to bleed to death from every orifice was confirmed yesterday on Pakistan's frontier with Afghanistan.

At least 75 people have caught the disease so far and eight have died. An isolation ward screened off by barbed wire has been set up in the Pakistani city of Quetta, and an international appeal has been launched for help.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Lots of sand, unclean water and everything else...pretty similar to Africa I'd assume so it wouldn't surprise me if it was there...I wonder though, if there is a possibility of the taliban sending infected people or animals [not sure if animals can get ebola but whatever] to military bases on purpose

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
You are being misinformed on a few points.

1. Ebola rarely causes people to bleed from their orifices, and never to the extent that it kills them. The death is caused by the virus' other effects.

2. Ebola is not actually all that contagious. It spreads by bodily fluids. It's not airborne. Of course, in a war zone where your goal is to relieve people of their bodily fluids, that's a small comfort...

[edit on 7-11-2009 by mattifikation]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Please read what the text clearly states. ONE single soldier has died from it. Many more Afghans have died from it, but you see only the solitary US soldier as a loss worthy of concern. And it's even postulated there that the invaders - I mean foreigners (those being the soldiers, btw) - brought the disease along with them. No pity for those damned locals though, filthy beasts that they are. Just like Africa it is! Disgusting, isn't it? Nasty, filthy heathens....

Please, please, please THINK before you post. THINK about what you're saying. I truly hope you all aren't as misguided in heart and mind as you seem to be from the words you wrote. If you are though, God help us all.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Did a search for missing/ stolen vials of ebola virus on google as in 2001, results attached, quite interesting.

www.google.co.nz...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Please read what the text clearly states. ONE single soldier has died from it. Many more Afghans have died from it, but you see only the solitary US soldier as a loss worthy of concern. And it's even postulated there that the invaders - I mean foreigners (those being the soldiers, btw) - brought the disease along with them. No pity for those damned locals though, filthy beasts that they are. Just like Africa it is! Disgusting, isn't it? Nasty, filthy heathens....

Please, please, please THINK before you post. THINK about what you're saying. I truly hope you all aren't as misguided in heart and mind as you seem to be from the words you wrote. If you are though, God help us all.

What are you screaming about this is a breaking news story and no one has said anything offensive at all. Some people have theories and that is fine this is a conspiracy site yet you pop in and just throw insults.

How about commenting on something worthwhile like how the Times is talking about H1N1 in the story even though it has nothing to do with Ebola showing how the MSM will consistently mention Swine Flu every opportunity they get.

I think you are the one who needs to think before you post.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Where there is war there is going to be diseases. Hard fact of life. Not everything is a conspiracy, but I will say that there is a lot of different diseases popping up all of a sudden.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

Remeber this:

At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with the disease that devastated Europe in the Middle Ages. null The killer bug, also known as the plague, swept through insurgents training at a forest camp in Algeria, North Africa. It came to light when security forces found a body by a roadside. The victim was a terrorist in AQLIM (al-Qaeda in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb), the largest and most powerful al-Qaeda group outside the Middle East. It trains Muslim fighters to kill British and US troops. Now al-Qaeda chiefs fear the plague has been passed to other terror cells - or Taliban fighters in Afghanistan. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

At the time I thought these 40 fanatics may have died as a result of trying to "weaponise" the plague.
So did the Washington Times:

www.washingtontimes.com...

Maybe AQ in 'stan have been trying to spread similar diseases?
Hope thats not the case though.

[edit on 7/11/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

top topics

join