It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads and Pop-ups online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I tend to watch TV programs online because I can watch them when I want instead of being attached to some sort of schedule. But there's a problem.

I'm so sick to death about pop-ups from Netflix and Safecount. I just wish there were a way for me to watch programs that I like without being inundated with asinine advertisements every few minutes from all kinds of companies.

It seems that advertisers have many rights as to how they can sell their wares and how loud the volume on my computer can be when they do. But I don't see any real rights for viewers like myself. Aren't we the targets of all of this? Shouldn't we have rights as the individuals who have to listen to all of this crap?

As usual, the people with the money get whatever they want. I've contacted many advertisers about how loud their commercials are in relation to the volume of the program I'm watching. They all claim that it's the result of an audio process called, "Compression". As a sound engineer, I happen to know that this is not the case. It's just an excuse.

When will consumers have a set of rights for themselves? Why do the advertisers always seem to get what they want?

I've even checked the FCC website, and they specifically say that there is no rule about how loud the commercials can be. Why is that?

I hope that others will agree with what I'm saying and contact the FCC about it. I don't need to be yelled at in an advertisement. I can ignore it quite nicely at regular volume.

Thanks for listening.

Duke

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
use firefox. it has some nice addons such as ad blocker plus and noscript.
no script is a little more complicated to use though. i use both and never get pop ups. i still get a few ads every now and then, but not many.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I agree that firefox works nicely, however ads have a purpose and they help suport and pay for what we watch. In the case of the net most sites to watch shows are illegal and pop up ads are the least of my worries-I'm just greatful that we have a way to watch. We do not have any rights towards tv, it's just a priveledge-or entertainment ..if it's online and we are getting it free I wouldn't worry bout a lil ad.... just my two cents.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
yeah adblock plus rules

you will see the ad one time...tell it to go to heck and bam never see it again

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I was unaffected with any ads on ATS even while people were reporting viruses. On the flipside I do sometimes click links over and over in IE (20+ times) with sites I use a lot of bandwidth on to help pay for my use. As a webdev myself, I know how vital banner ads are.

new topics

top topics

join