It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit Psychology and Philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Does anyone think suits and ties are still fashionable?

The following is my own opinion/philosophy on suits.

It used to be that wearing an expensive suit meant you were a success or someone important, today I personally feel this has changed.

When I see a person wearing a suit today I immediately think uncomfortable, stuffy, scam, hidden agenda, high pressure sale, liar, con-artist, dirt ball, possible politician or lastly Who Died?

Suits for the most part signify not success, but manipulation these days.

Maybe it's just all the classical conditioning over the years by scumbags on Wall Street and lying politicians, but I do remember when the Big Three went to dress causal, instead of suits and ties.

Savvy sales people these days shy away from wearing a suit, and choose something that is comfortable, but dressy.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You could be kinda right. I still expect to see men wearing suits at funerals out of respect but the rest of what you say is somewhat true I suppose.

I mean if you hear a knock on your door and open it and there stands a man in a suit...what is your first thought? I myself might be suspicious of him at first.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
You could be kinda right. I still expect to see men wearing suits at funerals out of respect but the rest of what you say is somewhat true I suppose.

I mean if you hear a knock on your door and open it and there stands a man in a suit...what is your first thought? I myself might be suspicious of him at first.

Even at funerals I see less and less suits being worn.

It's just that creepy feeling you get when you see someone in a suit.

I remember wearing suits to work everyday and I couldn't wait to get the damn thing off at the end of the day and put something comfortable on.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

What are your thoughts?

It depends on the type of suit, how it's worn, and with what accessories. The suit itself is simply in indicator of formality. Solid color gives a different impression than pinstripes. What color is the suit? Dark blue? Black? Brown? White? How is the jacket cut? Do they have cufflinks? How large are they? Are they wearing a third-piece vest? Do the shoes match? Are the socks thin or thick? Are they wearing a watch? How expensive does it look? Hat or no hat? What kind? Handkerchief in pocket? Corsage?

Compare
white suit, vest, black tie and handkerchief, corsage

with

pinstripe black & white, no vest, no handkerchief, fedora and corsage.

with

Black suit, vest, diagonal striped tie, bowler hat, white handkerchief, umbrella, watch on string.

Suit-yes or suit-no is a gross ismplification. Different looks will give very different impressions.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Interestingly enough I recently inherited my parents photo collection.
I was surprised to see my Grand dad boating off the Jersey shore in a SUIT and TIE.
Neat old wooden Chris Craft.
Most of the family photos are from occasions. The folks were always well dressed. Not just ties but hats . The ladies did hats well. My aunt was a flapper in the 20's and dressed to the nines.
The fedora was popular for the men. Go back a little and you never left home with out your top hat.
Can you get a picture in your mind of Dickens characters and their dress. The word FAD seems to have even disappeared. Mini skirt, Maxi Skirt. Now it's Wal Mart sweats and jeans.
I will venture a reason, off the top. Americans have been stripped of their Heroes and Heroin's.
Nobody is held accountable for anything, Take another toke.
Leno is on and wearing a suit. My Hero!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
When I see people in suits in 100 degree weather, I think wtf?
Makes no sense.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

When I see people in suits in 100 degree weather,
I think wtf? Makes no sense.

No different than wearing sunglasses at night, a skirt when it's 40 degrees out, or anything else people do for fashion. Simply ask yourself which is more important: looking good or being comfortable?

Depending on the circumstances, the answer might go either way.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Night Star

When I see people in suits in 100 degree weather,
I think wtf? Makes no sense.

No different than wearing sunglasses at night, a skirt when it's 40 degrees out, or anything else people do for fashion. Simply ask yourself which is more important: looking good or being comfortable?

Depending on the circumstances, the answer might go either way.

NS
Can you give us your take on why and who are in fashion these days?
Who is not and why?
Thanks donny

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm not a fashion expert. All I know is when it's hot and humid, you gotta be comfortable.

top topics

join