It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you seen the Fourth Kind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i know there are several threads about this movie, but i wanted to start one for people who have actually seen the movie to discuss it.

thought it would be good to cut through the clutter and rumors and marketing and just have a chance to talk about what we thought about the actual film and how it treats the topic alien abduction.

anyway i'll be going to check it out tonight or a matinee tomorrow at the latest. based on the trailer i'm expecting it to be pretty good - or at least interesting - but we'll see. you never know what you're going to get from hollywood.

so have you seen it?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I saw the movie this afternoon and loved it. Some will find the side-by-side shots of the "archive footage" and the re-enacted scenes off-putting but I found it to be an evocative and effective storytelling method. The "archive footage" is by far the creepiest part of the movie. I walked out of the theater with the sensation of my skin-crawling.

Those looking for frights or jump scares won't find them here; instead you will get an oppressive feeling of dread and sometimes hopelessness.

Those hoping to see creatures or even an explanation won't find them either. This is very smart on the part of the director. No alien could be as frightening as the very human horrors you witness or what happens to the characters. And any explanation would ultimately both unsatisfying and cheapen the terror. If you know why it is happening then you can rationalize why it won't happen to you. If you don't know then you do not have that security; if you don't know why it is happening then it could happen to you.

All in all, I found it very effective horror. I am a skeptic but the lights are on in my house right now. And is there any other word to describe the alien abduction phenomenon, whatever the cause may be, than horror?

[edit on 6-11-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I thought it was a good, entertaining movie. And that's where it ends for me. I'm not all confused or delusional and I'm not going to get online and pretend that this movie is a documentary or some sort of brick in the "disclosure" wall......

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
And is there any other word to describe the alien abduction phenomenon, whatever the cause may be, than horror?

That would depend on how you view it. Yeah, it is on the surface level highly debilitating fear. But, there is something beyond that.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann
That would depend on how you view it. Yeah, it is on the surface level highly debilitating fear. But, there is something beyond that.

Perhaps. Now, I'm saying this with the caveat that I don't necessarily believe aliens are behind it, but if they are I think no matter what their intentions are it will invoke feelings of terror and horror in a human. Even if they are benevolent*. I would imagine it is akin to when human scientists pluck a hibernating bear from it's den to fit it with a collar; the bear has no means to understand what is happening and though the humans have the best of intentions, can the bear feel anything other than fear?

(*and to be certain, what is happening in the movie is not benevolent. Though I would not go so far as to say it is malevolent. It just is. And I think if the phenomenon is driven by aliens in real life, human concepts of positive and negative do not apply to them. They just are.)

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Im seeing it tomorrow with my mate, if it scares the crap outta me im gonna be so pissed XD

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

So is it bloody or violent at all? I love suspense movies that just kind of mess with your mind the whole time, but can't stand blood and gore. I usually don't get into movies at all, but this one seems like one I would be interesting in.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Horrible horrible film. The trailers looked promising but aside from a few cheap scares it got to be really cliche really really fast.

Nothing special there.

Mitch

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
So is it bloody or violent at all? I love suspense movies that just kind of mess with your mind the whole time, but can't stand blood and gore. I usually don't get into movies at all, but this one seems like one I would be interesting in.

There is some violence. Though the violence is not bloody (in fact, you see no blood) and you do not see much, it is still horrific.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I heard this movie was getting major bad reviews

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I kind of wanted to go see it but I heard it wasn't that good. I came to this thread to see if anyone had anything good to say aabout it. I don't like really scarey movies either or gratituous violence. If it's not a terrific movie I don't want to shell out the money for a ticket. I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think it depends on whether you know your ufology or not

if you do.. then its an interesting movie, not great, and a decent way to spend a hour 38 mins of your life

if you don't .... well, my gf doesnt, she was quite adamant about not wanting to see it, but the foot went down
and she ended up enjoying it, it was better then she expected

its not a horror per se, but it is creepy in places

top topics

join