It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No real hero's in Texas army base shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
They are starting to parade various solders in the media, all of them are called "hero's" for their actions during the shooting spree.

They way I see it these men and women are trained in combat and quite frankly it seems they may have failed. Way too many people got shot IMO. Why didn't someone rush the guy?

I bet if some crazed person ran into a military base over in Russia someone would have ended that BS with a chair across the dome.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap
I bet if some crazed person ran into a military base over in Russia someone would have ended that BS with a chair across the dome.

Yep, whoever he was, seems to have planed it quite well. Not sure how you call soldiers heros.

But the media try to portray it that way for some reason.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Why didn't someone rush the guy?

Are you certain that it wasn't the case, somebody did and got blasted?

Oh please, I was born in Russia. Killings within the ranks do happen there, it's just not so easy to take out a trained person who's using a handgun or, especially an AK-47. I shudder at the thought of "rushing" somebody who trains a Kalashnikov at me

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

No way of telling the situation in the suck unless you're there. For all we know, the shooter waited until he was in a fortified, strategic position, and then let fly. For all we know, the police officer was the only armed person in the immediate area, and others did heroic things that ultimately lead to the takedown of the shooter.

For all we know, it's just as you hypothesized, although I tend to think that things happened quickly, and I wouldn't consider it "heroic" to run unarmed into a leadstorm.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Most people that sit comfortably behind their keyboards judging others make ignorant posts on this web site. It is getting more and more blatant.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The woman police officer who confronted the shooter and shot him 4 times while getting wounded in the exchange is a hero.

I'll say it again. She is a hero. She stopped the carnage right there and then.

I don't know what your definition of hero is and I don't really think that you know either.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Your post is foolish, THE NUMBER One THING WE GET DRILLED IN OUR HEADS IN THE ARMY IS TO TAKE COVER,

2nd thing Check out the sitiuation, find the threat

3rd thing is Move in on the objective and destroy.

The soldiers that were at the Deployment center DID NOT have weapons.

Check your facts before you play "Monday Morning Armchair Hero"

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A couple questions ?

1.) Does anybody carry a knife around base and could those have been thrown at the shooter to try and take him or at least slow him down?

2.) Where in the base did this take place? or has that not been told yet?

I ask this because maybe if it were near barracks where some soldiers could have had personal weapons they could have used....

3.) How did he get off so many rounds with only 2 handguns, and .....?

4.) When he had to reload the 10-20 times to get that many rounds off, why was nobody able to take him down during the 10 or so reloads ?

This leads me to believe he was in a fortified position possibly near the only or one of the exits and that way all his victims and others had to run a certain way to escape , and that , that escape route was close enough to his ( shooter's) fortified position that he was able to escape retaliation and also maintain the constant fire rate of the bullets...

Nobody knew it was coming so we could maybe assume that 2-3 people were dead within the first 2-5 seconds and that the next few were the ones he aimed at directly after his first victims......

most people take a split second to react.....maybe the soldiers a bit faster but he could and most likely did the most damage right in the beginning as that was when he had his biggest advantage..

It's all up in the air though until we find out more facts...

I just hope the "facts" are actually facts...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You are either very young or watch way too many action movies or play video games.

The real world does not have a reset button and bullets move faster than they do in the Matrix movies.......

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hey guys, I'm not trying to be unpatriotic here. I'm just curious how a lone gunman was able to shoot that many people in a room filled with trained soldiers.

Now, I assume the soldiers are well versed in hand to hand combat and use other tactics to survive without a weapon. It seems to me the gunman caught them off guard and it may have been complete chaos.

I guess we will find out.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm sure there were certainly some heroes in this mess. But, I did just raise the same question in another thread. With so many Army personnel with basic hand to hand combat training on the scene I am also interested to know why this guy wasn't simply bum rushed and taken down during a magazine change.

He allegedly only used two handguns. Even if he had a gun in each hand he would still have to drop one to execute the magazine change. That split second is enough time to throw someone off balance long enough to subdue them.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It's the authors of posts such as this who are the TRUE heroes!

How dare those people volunteer to defend our country fully knowing their efforts can be marginalized with a few strokes on the keyboard by geniuses such as yourself!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
simply appauling..the really really sad thing is that the OP will probably feel no remorse at all for making this post...

here is your hero:

Responding to an alert, the policewoman rushed to the Soldier Readiness Centre at the base and confronted Hasan as he ran around a corner.

Witnesses said a bullet from Hasan's gun passed through both her legs as they exchanged fire. Despite her injuries, she kept firing back, hitting him four times.

Emphasis mine, link to story and her picture HERE

Everyone involved is a hero, although very few of them were armed they are all trained in first aid and several more lives would have been lost if not for that initial treatment. There were also actions taken to protect a graduation ceremony nearby.

If anyone kept themselves alive and got out safely, they are a hero. And if you don't think so ask their families and loved ones who they are still alive for.

And the ones that died, they paid the ultimate sacrifice, regardless if anyone agrees as to the hows and whys. In fact, I am willing to bet if you asked anyone, including the police officer, they will tell you that they are the real heroes.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by toepick]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
A couple questions ?

1.) Does anybody carry a knife around base and could those have been thrown at the shooter to try and take him or at least slow him down?

Throwing knives are specially designed and weighted and require a decent bit of training to use effectively. The standard issue knife of the Armed Forces is not one of these.

In short, no. In long, Noooooooooooo.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Your post is foolish, THE NUMBER One THING WE GET DRILLED IN OUR HEADS IN THE ARMY IS TO TAKE COVER,

2nd thing Check out the sitiuation, find the threat

3rd thing is Move in on the objective and destroy.

The soldiers that were at the Deployment center DID NOT have weapons.

Check your facts before you play "Monday Morning Armchair Hero"

Nicely said.

Just going to add the fact that we don't have enough info from what I've seen to make any judgements or question why nobody did this or that. So this thread is a bit too quick to question.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Hey guys, I'm not trying to be unpatriotic here.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! ~Albert Einstein

You asked questions as your should always and I do not think you should falter just because your question is frowned upon. Never fall into the trap that your level of “patriotism” should be of concern to others. People are manipulated by the ignorant or cynical in such ways?

As to the questions of the media and heroes: This incident is an electric shock to the system, in my opinion the media wants to catch the mood and what better way than to make something good out of something very bad? Create a hero out of someone who was fighting for all she was worth to just survive! The media are snakes and this should have been expected – I expected it!

Soldiers are people, they have been taught skills but they still feel confusion, indecision and fear. Films and TV shows are liars, nothing is real about them. I do not think it imprudent to think that some that died were slain trying to fight the killer.

My respects to the dead, my best wishes to the wounded.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
At fort Bliss, TX. the only ones that have weapons on them at all times are the gate guards. Not every soldier on post have a fully loaded weapon on them and personal weapons are banned on post for single soldiers unless stored in the arms room.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I do not know what is definition for a hero - but if i was there and even armed, it would take some time to understand that it is officer who shoots at soldiers. Imagine yourself , how would you know what really goes on? Maybe those soldiers major shoots at are "bad" guys? And while you try to figure it out, in all those precious seconds - you can get shot easily.
So once again, i do not know what one has to do to be defined as hero - stop a 100 km meteorite falling on Earth or eliminate horde of evil alien invaders. But life is life, Hollywood is Hollywood and kudos to real-life guys who did end the killing.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

You must be a hero then.

Too bad you weren't there to save the day.

Do you wear a cape and a mask?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join