It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Value, Cash and the American People

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by tonygal

Most likely from contributing countries. Think of it as an insurance company.

That's what I thought. And since the US contributes more to the UN and IMF than anyone else, it probably came from us. What a racket these IMF guys have. they just made $7 billion.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Risking being rude, I will repeat," Gold feeds nobody"
spend the money on tangibles.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

Gold and silver have been standards of wealth since pre biblical times and have always held value beyond what a person could carry with him to eat or save in the root cellar.

Not everybody feels the need to have 100% of their money in mre's, ammo and toilet paper.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Gold and silver have been standards of wealth since pre biblical times and have always held value beyond what a person could carry with him to eat or save in the root cellar.

Not everybody feels the need to have 100% of their money in mre's, ammo and toilet paper.

Gold is not a standard of value. Gold traded for over $900 an ounce 30 years ago. Since then the cost of living has increased 300% while the price of gold has only increased what is now 22%. S&P 500 has increased about 1000% plus annual dividends averaging 3% in the same time. I will stick with buying real companies that make real things that a growing population needs. That is the way to hold onto value. Many people find out the hard way.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I won't be selling the little bit of gold jewelry I have to "Cash-4-Gold" or anybody else. It has too much sentimental value to me.

So I don't care how much gold and silver is going for, I will keep my box of trinkets...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonygal
Can anyone tell me where the IMF got their 200 tonnes of gold?

The majority of IMF Gold , just over 3,000 metric tons , was acquired prior to the Second Amendment of the IMF’s Articles of Agreement 1978..and is subject to restitution (resale to the pledging member countries). Most of this Gold was acquired through member quota subscriptions , loan repayments , and interest payments on IMF credit. Also prior to the SA , the IMF acted as a clearing facility for foreign currency trades. Member-states could purchase foreign currencies with Gold through the IMF , and avoid causing exchange rate fluctuations in the FX.

Subsequent to the Second Amendment , the IMF has acquired 403.3 metric tonnes of Gold. Not subject to restitution , this is the 403.3 tonne allotment that was recently approved for sale. India snatched the first 200 tonnes.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
buy gold and buy it with religious context.
This place sells gold and has gold and silver coins that have Biblical refrences on it...

Also one of the safest bullion banks in the world...
www.anglofareast.com...

Not spruking for the company, there are a few reasons why I said buy gold with religious meanings...
It was one of the only except reason for not handing over your gold when Roosevelt confiscated it in 1933
www.the-privateer.com...
Executive Order 6102
en.wikipedia.org...
About gold coins
www.reformation.org...

the melt down is only in phase 1...there will be worse lots worse...Gold is the only real currency ever in any time through out the history of the earth.
The paper stuff of shares and the dollar mean absolutely nothing...if you have them sell them and buy gold and silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Forget about gold. When you buy it, the price will crater.

Anyway, a chick that says ''sheesh'' and ''stoked'' won't have any problems in America.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Does it matter? They sure let go of it in a hurry!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire

Anyway, a chick that says ''sheesh'' and ''stoked'' won't have any problems in America.

Why is that ?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1

The majority of IMF Gold , just over 3,000 metric tons , was acquired prior to the Second Amendment of the IMF’s Articles of Agreement 1978..and is subject to restitution (resale to the pledging member countries). Most of this Gold was acquired through member quota subscriptions , loan repayments , and interest payments on IMF credit. Also prior to the SA , the IMF acted as a clearing facility for foreign currency trades. Member-states could purchase foreign currencies with Gold through the IMF , and avoid causing exchange rate fluctuations in the FX.

Subsequent to the Second Amendment , the IMF has acquired 403.3 metric tonnes of Gold. Not subject to restitution , this is the 403.3 tonne allotment that was recently approved for sale. India snatched the first 200 tonnes.

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
reply to post by onepissedoffsaint

same reason they bought:

Tulips
Internet stocks
Oil
Real Estate

When everyone is saying you can't lose, it is time to run away as fast as you can. Good work selling your stuff. In a year or two you will be able to buy it new for 2/3 of the price.

28 grams in an ounce
1/28 gram = 1/784 ounce
1/784 (X) = $1

Means that before long one ounce of gold (X) will be worth $784 and it will stay at that price for a long time. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

First of all,
Your reasoning offers absolutely no logic,
secondly,
If you are going to give out advice on precious metals, perhaps you should learn the difference between an avoirdupois ounce and a troy ounce.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
Forget about gold. When you buy it, the price will crater.

Let me say you are entitled to your opinion, and I am glad yo are not my finical adviser.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In the last 10yr bull cycle , Gold rose from approx $42oz in 1970 , to $850oz in 1980....with 70% of that gain occurring in the final 6mo
That 6mo parabolic rise , occurring in the final stage of the mania phase , represents the much touted bubble associated with bull market progressions....characterized by dumb money chasing prices near the top. When your relatives/gardener/neighbors begin giving you tips on Gold/Silver , and when on your way to work you see block long lines of buyers/sellers waiting for the local coin shop to open....you can start thinking bubble. Currently we're nowhere close.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ba92dfd458a.jpg[/atsimg]

Bull Markets: Generic thumbnail sketch - *Phases will deviate*
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b41373d49e3.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7301f9583f45.gif[/atsimg]

Contrary to popular myth , the general public hasn't really discovered Gold......yet.

Recent 10yr chart shows a healthy bull market stair-step beginning in 2001 , punctuated by corrections....no parabolic mania , no bubble. As usual , the smartest money came in early
and we're currently still in the awareness phase.

In the past year we've seen increased institutional buying. Powerhouse hedge funds like the Paulson Fund & Greenlight Capital moving heavily into Gold....

World's richest & most successful speculator warns of great inflation

David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital Stores Physical Gold

Pension funds....

Pension Funds to Buy Gold as Insurance

Central banks...China , Russia , Ecuador , Venezuela , and most recently India and Sri lanka

Central Banks Buy Gold

Not only is Chinese officialdom looking to diversify out of USD , but by deregulating restrictions on Gold/Silver ownership over the past 3yrs , and aggressively promoting their purchase , China is openly encouraging it's citizens to follow suit.

When the mania phase in precious metals finally ignites...the first match will be struck by 1.3BB Chinese.

Betcha!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Man, those places give you about 30-50% of what they're worth, so if they paid you 580, you probably could have gotten over 1k easy. Oh well, if that's you in the picture, I don't think you'll do too badly in this economy.

Holla at me!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by onepissedoffsaintToday I took the very little amount of gold jewelry I had to a local jeweler. I am talking a few 14k thin bracelets 3 small gold rings and 2 thin gold necklaces one being 10k. I kid you not, I walked out of there with $580.00.

Originally posted by American_Soviets
Man, those places give you about 30-50% of what they're worth, so if they paid you 580, you probably could have gotten over 1k easy.

14k - 58.3% bullion...10k - 41.667%

$580 would be more or less consistent with a gross weight of +/- 1 ounce of 14k jewelry sold @ current pennyweight (dwt) buy prices.

Using a spot basis of $1000 , apparently over 1/2 ounce of actual Gold was traded...but we'd have to know the total bullion weight in ounces to accurately appraise the premium extracted by the jeweler.

Shot in the dark: Unless the trade involved well over 1oz gross 14k , the OP received substantially more than 30-50% melt value.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by badgerprints

Gold is not a standard of value. Gold traded for over $900 an ounce 30 years ago. Since then the cost of living has increased 300% while the price of gold has only increased what is now 22%. S&P 500 has increased about 1000% plus annual dividends averaging 3% in the same time. I will stick with buying real companies that make real things that a growing population needs. That is the way to hold onto value. Many people find out the hard way.

What?? Where did this info come from? Gold was decoupled from the global market in 71', 30 years ago gold reached it's highest point ever in 1980 at $850! It never reached $900 till only a few years ago. And the 1000% gain in the S&P? are you serious? Look at the track record of the stock markets, the Dow is still less than 50% recovered from last year's crash, the S&P is recovering even slower. and the DOLLAR that all these stocks are denominated in is fading before our eyes. If gold was to even reach the same 1980 record with todays inflated dollar, it will have to surpass $2200 just to tie the record in real terms! This is not opinion or sepculation..these are real facts.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by American_Soviets
Man, those places give you about 30-50% of what they're worth, so if they paid you 580, you probably could have gotten over 1k easy. Oh well, if that's you in the picture, I don't think you'll do too badly in this economy.

Holla at me!

Trust me looks have nothing to do with it lol. I lost my job and recently filed for bankruptcy

I really wish I held onto it now....!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The following are a couple of choice excerpts from the article at the link.
ANYONE buying Gold bullion or Gold coins should beware. Everything is NOT as it seems to be!!

Why Tungsten?

If anyone were contemplating creating “fake” gold bars, tungsten [at roughly $10 per pound] would be the metal of choice since it has the exact same density as gold making a fake bar salted with tungsten indistinguishable from a solid gold bar by simply weighing it.

"And here’s what the Chinese allegedly uncovered:

Roughly 15 years ago – during the Clinton Administration [think Robert Rubin, Sir Alan Greenspan and Lawrence Summers] – between 1.3 and 1.5 million 400 oz tungsten blanks were allegedly manufactured by a very high-end, sophisticated refiner in the USA [more than 16 Thousand metric tonnes]. Subsequently, 640,000 of these tungsten blanks received their gold plating and WERE shipped to Ft. Knox and remain there to this day. I know folks who have copies of the original shipping docs with dates and exact weights of “tungsten” bars shipped to Ft. Knox.

The balance of this 1.3 million – 1.5 million 400 oz tungsten cache was also plated and then allegedly “sold” into the international market.

Apparently, the global market is literally “stuffed full of 400 oz salted bars”.

Makes one wonder if the Indians were smart enough to assay their 200 tonne haul from the IMF?"

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE FULL STORY:

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Just wanted to warn all my friends NOT to buy any 400oz gold bars!!!!
)

Can anyone say: "Criminal Government"? We are talking Fort Knox!!!

If my calculations are correct there is about half a TRILLION dollars worth of fake 400 ounce gold bars in the worlds vaults. Who knows how many gold coins are simply gold plated tungsten!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join