It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Shown Giving Thumbs Up Sign By Body of Dead Iraqi Prisoner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

it's not the way to victory over terrorism
(((

smobody said :when you fight with monsters you may become one

((

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Why ar the eyes of the body covered?? theres no point in trying to hide the ID of the decesaased cos his name has been released already.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Wow, good thing we got rid of Saddam's brutal regime!

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Why ar the eyes of the body covered?? theres no point in trying to hide the ID of the decesaased cos his name has been released already.

Mild attempt at medical attention? Kind of looks like gauze or something.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wasn't that the man the private contractors killed during interogation and then packed on ice to transport the body to cover it up? Not to be confused with the contractors who won a bronze star and purple heart, which, in all fairness, the Army said was a mistake, after people started asking who these guys are loyal to. Country or company?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a psychological aproach is that the spirit of the enemy have to be undermined.
so in this case it is done to find out who did what among the prisoners.
if the general public does not understand that these prisoners have killed americans in the most brutale way than this is the problem of the general public but not the military !

most of the pictures are looking as "set up scenes" !
i would like that somebody publishes actual pictures of the real saddam torture chambers with uncensorized
pictures ! because in the pictures here made by the USA couple i do not see any traces of torture done or in progres.

the only mistake the USA have made is to keep the prisoners and not to dispose them off as they like to go:strapping explosives to them and let them blow up in the desert.
this would have been the nicest way to clear the enemies problem !

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Wasn't that the man the private contractors killed during interogation

It looks like it.
Here's the story from Amnesty International:

Amnesty International:
Amnesty International repeats here one of the allegations made in the journal of Staff Sergeant Ivan L. Frederick concerning a death in custody of an Iraqi prisoner in Abu Ghraib: "They stressed him out so bad that the man passed away. They put his body in a body bag and packed him in ice for approximately 24 hours in the shower� The next day the medics came in and put his body on a stretcher, placed a fake IV in his arm and took him away."

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i advise strongly the USA military staff to publish a list of the prisoners with the full name and functions they did for the saddam regime !
the general public looks now on them like poor harmless soldiers been captured and tortured by these "terrible american monsters"...
let the truth speaks for itself !
all these saddam commanders,executers,tortures and aides in these operations can tell a story !

this would explain the way the USA is handling them
by the reputation the had under the saddam regime.

amnesty international ?? why should the arabs been given amnesty for their war crimes ???????

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
i advise strongly the USA militariy staff to publish a lost of the prisoners with the full name and functions they did for the saddam regime !

And if they were never able to determine what part, if any, these prisoners had throughout this conflict? Many of them are believed to be innocent Iraqis. You are really thickheaded if you think they're all guilty of 'terror'. American prisons are holding innocent people; what makes you think Abu Ghraib is any different? Didn't they release 300 prisoners last week after Rumsfeld made a visit? Why would they do that if they were all guilty of such bad, bad things?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well this pretty much ruins the credibility of the argument that the republicans own ABC.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
the ones kept as prisoners are not common soldiers as in "potato peeling,using against their will a riffle" but commanders !! people who gave orders !
military with a rank ! they did military actions against the USA and they were BEATEN ! no matter if they surrender to the USA on the battlefield ! they are prisoners and have to bear the fact that this happened DUE to THEIR actions.
so you see the USA is just paying them back with "even money"

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Taking pictures next to the dead guy is really not worth getting prison time is it? I know of a story where a young woman pulled out of McDonalds and got smashed by another vehicle, after the ambulance loaded her up a Cop reached in the car and took out her big mac and started eating it. This shocked people and he had to apologize. It's not really against the law it is just without class.
People who work in morgues do weird things to, you get used to being around this crap. Gallows humour is right. If this dead guy was a big time terorist that the SEALs brought in for interrogation whos to say he isn't a famous guy over there. I would bet troops took pictures standing next to Uday and Cusay as well. Probably gave the thumbs up too.

Variable

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
"the general public looks now on them like poor harmless soldiers been captured and tortured by these "terrible american monsters"... "

Thats ridiculous, thats not how we see them at all, we see them as poor harmless CIVILLIANS been captured and tortured by these "terrible american monsters"

The red cross estimates that up to 90% of all prisoners captured in Iraq were probably detained without trial by mistake.

Besides, if the place was full of high ranking leaders as you claim, why were so many released days after the pictures came out. There is no justification for what has happened except that this is a war, and in war horrible things like this happen.

If your for the war then just accept that our side is going to commit atrocities and stop hiding behind bull**** explanations.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
civilians ??

do you forget the self declared warlords and their gang operated without a uniform ??

they hide and live among other civilians but they actually do war crimes dressed in civilian !

so when the USA shot some of them or captured them it is easy to make the story up as the USA is abusing civilians !

come on ! do not step into the trap of their propaganda against the USA !
...and also every individual who supports the enemy...is an enemy too !
this includes:sheltering,making food,acting as a messenger,giving supply of weapons...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Large numbers of Iraqi's that are or were being held in custordy are civillians. As I'm sure you are aware, 300 detainees were released from Abu Ghraib last friday, because they were innocent of any crime. I'm not being hit by anti war propaganda, I'm simply stating the obvious. If these 300 men were vicious high ranking terrorists then I doubt the US would have let them walk out of the place.

Why do you find it so hard to accept that the US would inprison large numbers of civilians and expose them to abuse and torture during a war ? We did it in WW2, we did it in vietnam, this is how wars are waged, if you don't like it, don't blame me, blame war.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Simon]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i would not give way of political results above military results.

read the "convention of wherever text" telling that in warsituations soldiers uniform must clearly tell what side they are on.
selfdeclared warlords in rag tag civilian dress are violating this convention but never the less they form a most deadly weapon against the USA !!

anyway...wait till after USA elections results are made public

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
I wish you people would make your mind up.

Excluding the numerous civilians that have and are being held in prisons in Iraq, are the actual soldiers who are being held:

Soldiers - i.e. protected under the Geneva convention
or
Illegal combatants - i.e. not soldiers and thus not tied to the Geneva convention and thus not accountable for flouting international agreements on conduct in war.

It seams to me you want them to be soldiers when they're fighting you so you can arrest them for not wearing uniform, and illegal combatants when you catch them so you can torture information out of them.

Sorry. You can't have it both ways.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
everybody who makes an act of war becomes a "soldier" and should expect counter actions of the one it is attacking.

all the so called innocent civilians you mention are NOT innocent civilians.

co-operating with the enemy makes you an enemy too !

if an entire family works with and for the enemy then it should be considered as enemy and handled also by the USA. (there is a war situation one,you know)

i could also take it this way:
if unlawfull and without fitting to a convention doing action against the USA than they are kinda outlaws with the label wanted "death or alive" !
(so as with terms of justice if you kill somebody in that category you do not have to give a reason for it)

i prefere they handle this as "death" so the individual does not get a 2nd try to attack the USA !

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Could you direct me to the charges that were brought against the 300 "soldiers" or "illegal combatants" who were released on Friday from Abu Ghraib because I can't find it anywhere...
I assume they were released because after 6 months of questioning it was realised that they were innocent but you seem to have information regarding them being some sort of non fighting Iraqi resistance group or something...

Hang on that sarcasms going to go over your head isn't it...

Y'know what, forget it. You obviously don't know what your talking about.

I think I'll have to add you to the increasingly long ignore list.

Are there any pro war people on this board who can construct actual coherent arguments and rebuttals or are you all like this guy ?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
either way the USA have to pass the coming up elections and this will play a mayor role considering the war.
the pentagon will go on in planning and executing
operations there.

top topics

join