It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Gives Shout Out to 'Congressional Medal of Honor Winner' Who Isn't

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Your video clip was at the Department of the Interior. He was there to speak at the Tribal Nations Conference. He gave the opening and closing statements. He just heard about the shooting and announced his feelings on it there. This was NOT a press conference for the shooting despite what FOX news splayed across their screen.

Just heard? How kind of you to provide the "official time line."

Barry was appraised of the situation well before his remarks and had ample time to confer with a bevy of department heads from relevant defense and security organizations.

The president said he’s spoken to Defense Secretary Robert Gates and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen “and I will continue to get a constant stream of updates as new information comes in. We are working with the Pentagon, the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, who all have been assured that the fort has been secured, and we will continue to support the community with the full resources of the federal government.”

blogs.abcnews.com...

Barry had a couple of hours before his remarks to be briefed, and to be well aware of the gravity of the terrorist attack at Ft. Hood. Barry chose not to respond in a presidential manner.

Major, I don't converse with people who speak of themselves in the third person. It's too creepy for me.

How extraordinarily convenient. The Major could pontificate that the facts got in the way not the Major's chosen tense, but that would be superfluous to the troops. Suffice to say the Major finds those so in the tank and agenda committed that they fail to see the obvious are similarly "creepy," but the Major's devotion to "deny ignorance" will prevail over any feigned and childish exclusion to erudite edification of the assembled masses.

Dismissed.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's Obama bashing when you point out the same things that would get cheers if Bush did it
Get real, he did not respond as the POTUS should! The response to the shooting was almost an afterthought. "I want to give a shout out to my boyz, and oh yea we had a shooting on a military base."

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Obama's Frightening Insensitivity Following Shooting

Well I cant post my own thread on this THANKS MODERATOR, I’ll just have to add to yours. I watched this speech on TV yesterday and was about to punch the TV I was so mad at Obama. He just doesn’t get it always about him, there his 12 solders died and took over 3min to even start to talk about. What the hell is thinking. This man needs to get a clue. He has not idle what’s going on out side of himself.

www.nbcchicago.com...

President Obama didn't wait long after Tuesday's devastating elections to give critics another reason to question his leadership, but this time the subject matter was more grim than a pair of governorships.

After news broke out of the shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Texas, the nation watched in horror as the toll of dead and injured climbed. The White House was notified immediately and by late afternoon, word went out that the president would speak about the incident prior to a previously scheduled appearance. At about 5 p.m., cable stations went to the president. The situation called for not only his trademark eloquence, but also grace and perspective.

But instead of a somber chief executive offering reassuring words and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and inappropriately light president making introductory remarks. At the event, a Tribal Nations Conference hosted by the Department of Interior's Bureau of Indian affairs, the president thanked various staffers and offered a "shout-out" to "Dr. Joe Medicine Crow -- that Congressional Medal of Honor winner." Three minutes in, the president spoke about the shooting, in measured and appropriate terms. Who is advising him?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I myself am frankly saddened that many of you on this thread are taking the time to complain about something so minor and turning this tragedy as a way to nit-pick someone who you obviously don't agree with politicaly. You are the ones belittling the needless deaths of these people.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

[Oh! OK. I see what you're saying. But look. Your video clip was at the Department of the Interior. He was there to speak at the Tribal Nations Conference. He gave the opening and closing statements. He just heard about the shooting and announced his feelings on it there. This was NOT a press conference for the shooting despite what FOX news splayed across their screen. Notice the flags in the background. But if y'all need something else to be outraged at him about, carry on.

Another "Obama Save" by BH.

You know, I think the Tribal Nations Conference would probably have understood if Obama addressed the shooting at Fort Hood before anything else.

And then mixing up the Medal of Honor with the Medal of Freedom. But then again, they don't compare at all to his Nobel, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by savagecupid
I myself am frankly saddened that many of you on this thread are taking the time to complain about something so minor and turning this tragedy as a way to nit-pick someone who you obviously don't agree with politicaly. You are the ones belittling the needless deaths of these people.

Not in the slightest. Did you watch the clip of Obama's flippant behavior, his laugh and even his smirk?

Yes, the original intent of the speech was not to address the shooting. However, he should have worn his POTUS hat instead of his Kangol hat and put the Shooting to the forefront!! He is the POTUS that is what they do in the time of tragedy. He was fully briefed before he hit the stage that he loves so much. He would have been better off with the teleprompter telling him to act in a proper manner. He does not get it.

And before you try to mention Bush on 9/11, keep in mind that Bush was speaking to CHILDREN when he was informed of the terror attack. He had no prior notice. Despite what some may think. He maintained his cool until his staff was ready to make the next move to get him to safety and into a complete briefing. These two incidents are very different.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Major, If I could give you more than one star I would.
You certainly hit the nail on the head. The truth hurts and there are some here on ATS that simply can't handle the truth. If there is anyway to polish a turd they will find it.

Obama had a brief moment to shine and he chose to display his foibles.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I feel he acted in the appropriate manner, as did Bush in his 9/11 situation. They are both human. It is easy to be a critic after the fact. It is obvious that most of the posters complaining, are doing it for political reasons. Nit-pick here and there just to justify there own political bias. You make it sound as if he thought it was no big deal and I am sure that is not the case. Perhaps he could have handled it better and will look back and wish he had, but to make a big deal about every little thing is useless.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by savagecupid
Perhaps he could have handled it better and will look back and wish he had, but to make a big deal about every little thing is useless.

You're right. He could have handled it better, and is probably kicking himself in the ass for not.

But, why shouldn't the American Public make a big deal out of this? He's the face of America, and the rest of the world is probably wondering if he doesn't give a rat's ass for his own military members that are dead.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Seriously ...is nothing out of bounds?

This conference was incredibly important to Native Americans.

He chose to acknowledge the conference organizers briefly before addressing the Fort Hood event.

I read the posts about his "shout out" and then watched the video half expecting him to wave his hands in the air hip-hop style and literally shout.

He simply dead-panned "shout out"...

He condensed an entire speech down to simply acknowledging the organizers so he could move on to and address the Fort hood event.

He could have dissed all the Native American Tribes and the conferences organizers and not acknowledged anyone and simply gone into press/photo-op mode....but it was a conference whose purpose was to show some long overdue respect to the Native American people..

HE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.

It is freaky... the hate parade that emerges on ATS with regards to the POTUS...even in times of tragedy...actually it makes me sad thinking about posters out there who are eagerly looking for an angle to Bash Obama in the midst of national tragedy.

13 dead at fort hood....hmm how can I rail into the POTUS on this?

Makes me feel a little sick about how people think.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by maybereal11]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

thank you for putting this a way better than i could.

you make the group who was kind enough to invite you mad, or you make half of the american people mad. he would've made that half mad regardless. as the absurdity i've seen here has proven.

it was no big deal. let it rest. lets pay attention to the real problem at hand.

and speaking in the third person makes you come off as highly arrogant. it's rather annoying, any chance of you stopping?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
It shows that their suffering does not affect him in the least. It also makes me wonder how much he really cares about the average citizen.

Is this the first time this has occured to anybody? How can this be a surprise?

Does nobody understand that these people don't give a damn about the average citizens?

No. Obama doesn't care, nor do his cabinet or staff. For that matter, most of the politicians from either side of the aisle are so disconnected from the real world that they wouldn't know empathy if it bit them on the ass.

They are not living in our world. They live in an ego driven power trip that is in no way connected to reality.

At least he didn't swing from the far left and imply that the shooter was a hero.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by savagecupid

It isn't making a big deal out of every little thing on my part. I have defended and condemned him on this site. The reason I commented on this incident is simple. Moments like these go to prove character.

How would you feel if your best friend had just died at the hospital, and the doctor came in to the waiting room laughing, and giving high fives to his friends? Then he went and told the nurse that he was planning on getting her a raise. Then after he did all of that he came back and said, "Oh yeah your boy died and well we will get an autopsy and see what happen." Then he turns and walks out of the room.

You would feel angry and probably question his professionalism, and character.

edit for spelling

[edit on 7-11-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

What he should have done is address the Fort Hood incident fully and solemnly. Then he should have delivered the full speech he planned for the conference. The stations could have pulled away of their own free will. The situation was badly handled.

It isn't about railing against Obama because of political bias. At least it isn’t in my case.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Exactly. I'm sure that the people at the conference wouldn't have minded had he done that. As you said, the way it was handled makes it look like that the dead Soldiers at Fort Hood were not important to him.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
It shows that their suffering does not affect him in the least. It also makes me wonder how much he really cares about the average citizen.

This is ABSURD....

If he had lost his composure you would be posting how he is easily shaken-up and not qualified to lead .

When he keeps his composure you accuse him of being uncaring.

We all wear colored glasses.

When he misspoke and said "Medal of Honor" instead of "Medal of Freedom"....

Could it be that he was just told that 13 soldiers were killed by a Major on a US Military base and he was just a bit shaken?

Or was he perfectly polished and uncaring?

Did the miss-statement simply indicate he is human and was still processing the tragedy? Or did it simply indicate he isn't intelligent?

The truth is not always easy to see and objectivity takes work, but has many rewards. We all wear colored glasses.

For me...he is human and far from perfect...and I can forgive a miss-statement in light of the news he had recieved moments before...but of course you folks are welcome to believe as you wish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join