It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Gives Shout Out to 'Congressional Medal of Honor Winner' Who Isn't

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Once again Obama demonstrates the dangers that he faces when he dares to speak without a teleprompter.

Bare in mind that this was all stated lightheartedly prior to him addressing the tragedy at Ft. Hood.

SPEAKER: PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA

• OBAMA: Please, everybody, have a seat. Let me first of all just thank Ken and the entire Department of the Interior staff for organizing just an extraordinary conference.

I want to thank my Cabinet members and senior administration officials who participated today. I hear that Dr. Joe Medicine Crow (ph) was around, and so I want to give a shout out to that Congressional Medal of Honor winner. It's good to see you.

Ah, the dangers of giving shout outs without a teleprompter. Crow is not a Medal of Honor recipient. As noted by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society:

• Crow's name is not included on the Society's Medal of Honor recipient list. He was, however, awarded the Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, in August.

Obama, often described as "cerebral" by the mainstream media, should know the difference between the Medal of Honor and the Medal of Freedom, especially since he personally awarded the latter to Crow. Don't expect his blunder to receive wide coverage. It's not something he can blame George Bush for.

Yes, Yes I know... It was just a blunder.... Obama defenders save your breath. The idiot has spoken without his teleprompter. He personally awarded the Medal of Freedom to this man (a CIVILIAN) in August. Surely, he would remember that.

newsbusters.org...

[edit on 6-11-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:46 AM
    link   

I was reluctant to start a thread on the topic, but I've made mention of it a couple of times in discussion of the event. I'm not saying its an impeachable offense or anything, so lefties, don't get your shorts in a knot, but the truth is, I thought the whole episode was really in bad taste, considering the gravity of the situation.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:15 AM
    link   

Originally posted by vor78
    I thought the whole episode was really in bad taste, considering the gravity of the situation.

What was in bad taste? I don't understand...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:18 AM
    link   
    reply to post by jibeho

I would really like to see you up there.... I mean i'm not much of an Obama person but when you have 300 million plus people watching you, i'm pretty sure you'd make a few blunder's as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If you can't understand why some might find it at least a little distasteful that the president of the United States is smiling and giving a 'shout out' two minutes before discussing a national tragedy, then its probably something I can't explain. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, and I apologize because it does sound that way, but IMO, its less than presidential behavior and the type of gaffe I would expect from Biden.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
    link   

Well, when it took him over two minutes after thanking just about everyone he knew and a "shout-out" to finally get around to talking about the shooting at Ft. Hood. I'd say that's bad, it shows how little he cares about the military.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
    link   
    i don't think it was wrong for him to give a shout out. maybe in bad form before talking about ft hood..but i dont think its too big of a deal. he couldve waited till after and been criticized for jumping off it too quick.

i think what is odd is that the media will not bring this up, where if this was during the election, and mccain, or especially palin made this mistake, they'd be ripped apart for making a small mistake. and if bush was president, he'd get that treatment too.

it shows the leaning of the media.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
    link   
    I do not care for bush or obama, but if this was bush, the daily show would be laughing its socks off.

Hypocrites, and do not say this is a right left rubbish statement. Its a fact you people are hypocrites towards obama.

I just wonder if obama can fill a whole dvd of blunders liek bush can, and will the media feed that into your psyche, i doubt it.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:48 AM
    link   
    reply to post by iamsupermanv2

As I said, I don't think its particularly serious, I just don't think it was at all appropriate under the circumstances.

In regards to the media, you are absolutely correct. This will never, EVER see the light of day in the MSM unless someone on a news commentary show mentions it. Even Fox has clipped that statement from their replays of his comments.

Now if that had been Palin who had done this...oh dear lord...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
    link   
    I was waiting for the President to speak about what had just taken place at Ft. Hood..He finally comes on, and I'm listening thinking.."Did they not go live, and accidently put up an earlier taped speech" Then almost 3 minutes into his "Shout outs" and laughing, with a smile on his face..I realize it is in fact live...I was thinking.."What the hell is wrong with this man" Loved ones of those just shot are sitting at home, glued to the tv waiting for any word on what just took place, and Obama comes on joking, laughing, giving his shout outs..
    I was completely floored, and disgusted with his lack of caring, his lack of sympathy... This man is a complete EGO MANIAC, who should not be able to run a meeting, much less our country. He is a DISGRACE to OUR United States of America. If that's the Change everyone voted for, wanted, and accept, then I am NOT living in the America I once knew, and by God with all I have, all that I am, I will do everything in my power to help take back our country and restore it to what it once was...
    For those posting, who say that they don't see his shout outs, or joking, as a big deal, or dont understand why it's become a big deal, maybe you should step back away from your damn party, and see the coldness of his actions..Maybe you should step into the shoes of the loved ones at home, gathered around the tv waiting for word on thier son or daughter..Instead they got 3 min. of "Shout outs" and jokes from our leader of "Change"

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:10 AM
    link   

Originally posted by kick Flip
    reply to post by jibeho

I would really like to see you up there.... I mean i'm not much of an Obama person but when you have 300 million plus people watching you, i'm pretty sure you'd make a few blunder's as well.

I really don't think that 300 million people were watching his message yesterday. Yes blunders are going to happen. However, with Obama they only seem to happen when he speaks without his teleprompter. He needs to practice more without his coaches and prompts. Furthermore, if this were any number of assorted conservatives or Republicans making this statement it would be fodder for all of the left MSM "news programs" and commentators. Remember the relentless assault on Dan Quayle? His blunders were minor compared to those of Biden. Yet, Bidens blunders are downplayed as well. All they have to state is that they misspoke and all is well. Blah Blah Blah.

Last but not least. I am not the POTUS. He should have given the events at Ft. Hood all of the attention right off of the bat. His lightheartedness and his signature smirk speak volumes as to his detached nature. Just like he claimed to have not watched any of the election returns on Tuesday night. Detached... He said he was watching an HBO special about himself that night. A special that he had already previewed... Nevermind the countless hours that he spent campaigning for Corzine. But, He wasn't following the elections. Right?

Please check the Double Standard at the door.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:11 AM
    link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld
    Maybe you should step into the shoes of the loved ones at home, gathered around the tv waiting for word on thier son or daughter..Instead they got 3 min. of "Shout outs" and jokes from our leader of "Change"

Looking at the incident from afar, as I said before, I found it 'distasteful'. But now that you've put it in that context, which is something I hadn't really even considered before now, you're right...its actually infuriating.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:21 AM
    link   
    He did seem entirely to cavalier before his statements on Fort Hood. It isn't the worst thing a president can do, but I think it shows his true nature. In a moment like that I want my president to march up to the microphone and deliver something reassuring or poignant. I don't want him swaggering to the lectern, joking, smiling, and giving shout outs.

To me it was very disrespectful to the families, the wounded, and the slain. It shows that their suffering does not affect him in the least. It also makes me wonder how much he really cares about the average citizen. If he doesn’t care about the people that have sacrificed day in and day out for centuries, to ensure that we have a president instead of a king, what makes me important enough for him to care?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:31 AM
    link   
    I, too, was waiting for him to get to the point I had tuned in for - The President of the United States was supposed to be addressing the nation about the current ongoing tragedy at Ft. Hood.
    I waited while he joked and talked about something else entirely, and left us wondering what giant piece of the puzzle we had missed. What was he talking about?!
    Then came the "shout out", like he finally got his chance to be on tv or something!
    We all noticed and thought it was incredibly disrespectful. Just not the right time or place for such a comment.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:29 PM
    link   

Originally posted by vor78
    If you can't understand why some might find it at least a little distasteful that the president of the United States is smiling and giving a 'shout out' two minutes before discussing a national tragedy, then its probably something I can't explain.

Oh! OK. I see what you're saying. But look. Your video clip was at the Department of the Interior. He was there to speak at the Tribal Nations Conference. He gave the opening and closing statements. He just heard about the shooting and announced his feelings on it there. This was NOT a press conference for the shooting despite what FOX news splayed across their screen. Notice the flags in the background. But if y'all need something else to be outraged at him about, carry on.

Source

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:02 PM
    link   
    So our benevolent leader was giving a shout out prior to his statement on Ft. Hood. So was he at a pep rally? That strikes me as unprofessional. Given what he was supposed to comment on that was tasteless. No matter where he was prior to hearing about the shooting he should have put on his potus shoes and acted like the leader of this country
    Instead we get shout out's? Obama is not a leader and he just showed what he really is

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:33 PM
    link   

I know that, but your statement that he'd 'just heard about it' is absolutely false. He knew about it BEFORE he walked to that podium and before he gave his little shout out. Don't try to play that game, because you and I both know its false.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
    link   

What was in "bad taste?" Let the Major count the ways. Confusing the Medal of Freedom, a civilian award to the Medal of Honor, a military award that has no comparable civilian equivalent in deed or merit. Proclaiming Dr. Joe Medicine Crow as a "winner" of the MOH which he was not, and the fact that he used the term "winner." No one has ever "won" the Medal of Honor; they are recipients. The Major has had the distinct pleasure to meet, break bread with and on one memorable occasion plumb the depths of fine bottle of single malt scotch with recipients of the MOH. The Major can assure you and Barry Sotero that they are not inclined to receive a "shout out" from anyone. Engaging in the levity and sophomoric banter before addressing the horror of the terrorist act at Ft. Hood further demonstrated the complete and utter lack of understanding of the gravity of the situation.

The Major can only assume you have been drinking a little too much of the Barry Sotero mouthwash to notice the bad taste. How is that new and improved EPIC FAIL flavor working out?

Dismissed.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:00 PM
    link   
    reply to post by vor78

I'm not playing any game. I know he heard about it before he walked to the podium. Jesus, chill out. I'm saying that this wasn't a press conference devoted to the shooting, as FOX News' banner said. It was his scheduled speech at the Tribal Nations Conference. He took time out of that (as was appropriate) to speak to the news of the shooting.

Major, I don't converse with people who speak of themselves in the third person. It's too creepy for me.

If you guys think it was inappropriate somehow, that's cool. It's a bunch of false outrage in my opinion, but I'll leave you now to continue your daily Obama bash.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:21 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
    Oh! OK. I see what you're saying. But look. Your video clip was at the Department of the Interior. He was there to speak at the Tribal Nations Conference. He gave the opening and closing statements. He just heard about the shooting and announced his feelings on it there. This was NOT a press conference for the shooting despite what FOX news splayed across their screen. Notice the flags in the background. But if y'all need something else to be outraged at him about, carry on.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

For 8 years Bush got butchered for less, MUCH less and was regularly skewered on television. I recall hearing all of the MSM and news shows railing on him for reading a children's book during 9/11. To use your reasoning, that was NOT a press conference for 9/11 despite what CNN and MSNBC splayed, REPEATEDLY, across their screen. He had just learned of the attacks and responded the best way he knew how at that moment.

Now, I'm not defending Bush - I thought the guy was a baffoon. But I feel it is safe to say that Obama is as big a buffoon but in a much more dangerous way - because he is a narcicist!

I think what people are referring to is that REGARDLESS of the occassion, or his reason for being there, he IS the POTUS - first and foremost. When a tragedy of this magnitude occurs it is his OBLIGATION to address the bigger audience first. That audience being ALL OF THE CITIZENS of the US. In summary, regardless of the event at hand it should have been handled like it was a press conference! For Christ's sake - you cannot excuse the POTUS for shirking his responsibilites because he was busy giving a different speech! We already know that the left and the MSM wouldn't allow it under Bush - so why the excuse making now??? It reeks of self-rightousness under the best of circumstances and hypocrisy under the worst.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join