It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment rate hits 10.2% in October

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by obamalivechat

An alien invasion might help. Brings us together for a common cause and all the people who where eaten would help to lower the unemployment numbers!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

If you have the start up capital, now would be a good time to
create a start up company or maybe buy your way into an existing
company that is doing well even during a recession.
Buying a 20% stake in a good small company is a good way
to get a look at the books and the profit margins.
-------------------------------------
For example - Pet Store -
People spend money on their pets even during a recession.
-----------------------------------------------
A laundromat that acts as a middle man to the dry cleaners
is boring but always makes money. People wash clothes even
during a recession.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
May have to switch careers to the health care industry!
Lord knows it's already a cartel with insane profits!

Keep the people fat, unhealthy and sick. Kewl.
Makes for repeat bidness, the best kind!

Specially the kiddies!
After all Trix is good healthy food!(now)

Take the choice away from the peeps and give it to big pharma!
Perfect plan! They'll fall for it everytime!
No wonder they are the only ones hiring fulltime workers(slaves).....

I could always give the sheep flu shots!

[edit on 6-11-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
CONGRATULATIONS OBAMA! Its official, more people are unemployed than uninsured. That's change....right?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by obamalivechat
Well here we are at 10% unemployment. How are we going to bring jobs back, we need something revolutionary. BUT, WHAT?

All we need is something new.
In the 90s it was the World Wide Web.
Jobs......Jobs.......Jobs!
We actually ran a surplus in Washington DC.
----------------------------------
I think i know what it is.
It's even better than the internet.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The jobs arent coming back, unless you want to work for the government. The military has finally met all of its recruitment goals for the first time since the draft ended in 1973. Interested in fighting the mujahadeen in Afghanistan? You get about $2000 a month, lots of vaccinations, and possible the loss of a limb or two, if you are lucky.

Otherwise, buckle down for a long haul into the abyss of joblessness, and increasing government dependency. This recovery aint happening. In fact, before there is any real recovery, the entire system is going down the drain, and we are going to face social and economic chaos. Better become familar with the survival board before its too late.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

perhaps the industry does run the risk of being a cartel. all the more reason for reforms that focus on competition. its sad that our president complains about areas of the nation that have but 'one or two' health insurance options but has stated his support for a healthcare MONOPOLY. if we want to stop this job loss we need competition, we need creative destruction, we need to reject cartels and monopoly, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT MONOPOLIES.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

He, he, get ready because now congress is been considering the creation of an Asian alliance like the NAFTA, as usual the US will become the losers as Asian nations are very good at using protectionism but the US can not do that because other nations will file against it to the WTO and we know who the loser really are.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The funny thing is that back in Sept. the Fed and the rest of the govt. and financial pundits trumpeted that unemployment won't break the 10% mark until fall of 2010. Now we see it shoot up .4 from 9.8% to 10.2%, we are in trouble. And these numbers they are giving us are the massaged and manipulated ones. Here's something else to consider to, every season that goes by with job loss increasing overall is helped along by an increase of college people coming in the workforce to compete with people that where laid off or let go. By this time next year, I wouldn't be surprised if the these numbers aren't up to 15% (by that time the U6 numbers should be close to 30%). We are in a depression, pure and simple. A depression is a really really bad recession (sounds familiar), but they are playing word games.

And to add cream on the top of this news, look at how well our market is being manipulated. With bad news the market goes up, with good news the market goes up (wow the market is resilient :barf
. If where doing so well and recovering, why hasn't the interest rates moved up even a quarter of a percentage point? It's because they need the interest rates low to keep the bank books somewhat liquid and to keep the economy from melting down faster. The rest of the world knows what going on except the sheep of the US. The fed has decided to sacrifice the dollar to delay the inevitable reckoning of fiscal and leadership irresponsibility. Where not out of this, not by a long shot. We still have a some bubbles that need to burst. We have the prime housing and the still subprime housing bubble to burst in the spring. We have the commercial property bubble that is bursting as we speak and will come out by Feburary in full force. We have the Treasuries and Muni-bond bubbles that will burst late in 2010. First the Munis because almost all the states and local govt. are underwater and are begging for money from the fed that they won't and don't have. The Treasuries because less and less foreign buyers are buying our Treasuries, it's being bought by overseas entities but as some and I have researched it's by shell companies off shore that the fed has set up to buy our notes (In essence it's like the snake eating it's tail because it's hungry). Then we have the pension (both state and federal the corporation ones will follow later) implosion because the states haven't been keeping their workers pension funded adequately. And thats because the states passed laws (funny how if you want money just pass a law to get it) to make it okay to fund it later or on promises or on future economic promises that haven't came. The Federal ones will be the last because as with all organizations they will protect their people up until they can't, thats it. And then Finally the Baby Boomer bust of medicare/medicade and Social Security. They will have to raise taxes so high that it won't be worth working just to maintain what is needed now (it's all being paid by printing and promises). And also they will have to cut those programs benefits to the point that it's nothing (and it's not rich insurance or rich security anyway).

We have alot of stuff that is waiting for us around the corner and are adding more to it on top of a world ready to dump the dollar. We are a people and a govt. that is playing a weird fom of the see no evil hear no evil or speak no evil game. We tell the people what they see is wrong and not their, we tell people what they hear is wrong and not there, we tell people nothing is wrong and nothing is their. We are obfuscating because finally the bill is due for all the promises and snide deals that have gone forward over the decades to make us look like we where a prosperous nation. The Whitehouse and the Fed know whats coming but they want to make sure the apparatus is all set up so when the hammer comes down and we finally see how screwed we really are (A third world nation with it's populace and it's officials fighting for what is left over in the country), they will be able to respond to the hatred and riots that will come.

Remember they really wanted that martial law provision in bushes bill in case of a terrorists attack, but it won't be a terrorists attack but a way to protect the apparatus of the country from the mobs having found out that they actually are poor as dirt.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by hoghead cheese]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

NAFTA is not the issue, I don't see too many goods that read

1)Made in Mexico
2)Made in Canada (Unless it's Maple Syrup)

Most good says PRC these days, and I hate it.
We can't produce anything anymore, even food, I bought some garlic the other day grown in China, it's sad that we can't grow Garlic in America that would be competitive, how pathetic is that?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Well we do have a lot of food from Mexico and south America specially fruits and vegetables, plus they have some killer hot sauces.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Everything bad in the world is Obama's fault....rabble rabble rabble......George Bush and $3 trillion spent in Iraq for no reason are irrelevant......rabble rabble rabble.......Obama is responsible for $800 billion bank bailout in 2008 too.......rabble rabble rabble....Acorn.....rabble rabble rabble.....Van Jones......rabble rabble rabble.....Liberal media...rabble rabble rabble.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Unemployment is a BIG problem here where I live. I am currently facing a BIG problem! And its lucky for me I am who I am, and can do what I can do!
I can work from home, and I can work online to make ends meat.
I am barely getting by right now.

I remember a few years ago I could go to any kitchen and find a job doing dishes, or working on the line cooking.. Dime a dozen jobs only but 4 years ago.
Now.. I have gone to burger king *all fast food joints in my area, and they tell me they have atleast 3-5 walk inns a day looking for work. They are booked to the hilt. Even lowering peoples hours just to add in a few more workers.

There is not ONE kitchen within 20 miles of my house that is open! No joke, I have gone place to place, filling out apps for each place. And due to biz, they have to cut back on help. Barely giving 30 hours to their main workers. 40 hours if they are lucky.

Now to boot, and I don't mean this to sound wrong.. But the illegal immigrants are getting all the work, as they get paided cash, and getting screwed over by not getting paided what I could make in a kitchen job.
Hell, I would be happy to be doing dishes part time right now.. Yet the illegals get the jobs, as they will do the work for less, off the books..
That is frustrating, and hurting everyone.

Yet they must feed their families too.. so I do not hate them, Nor do I feel I am better than them.. However they are getting the work over someone like me.. Granted I have a part time job online making some money to at least pay my rent and internet bill.

How long will that last before I am outside, homeless once again holding a sign.. Saying will work for food?

Things are BAD right now.. And I hope things start looking up..
My line of work is wearing thin.. And as I said.. I would be happy washing Dishes right now..
And that is sad for a man with my education, and skill set.

Yet I don't have the gas money to drive into Tampa everyday.. Its a catch 22 right now..

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angiras

Otherwise, buckle down for a long haul into the abyss of joblessness, and increasing government dependency. This recovery aint happening. In fact, before there is any real recovery, the entire system is going down the drain, and we are going to face social and economic chaos. Better become familar with the survival board before its too late.

If this holds true, get ready for a crime wave like you have never seen it. It won't be small thing either. If middle income is going to risk it, it has got to be big or quick multiples. If I were a Wall Streeter, Banker, etc. I would be getting the hell out of dodge if it tanks harder.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Even where the rate is lower, it's not so good. There are no turn over on jobs. Most places here loose someone, they do without instead of bring in more to help out.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Wow, what time altering life ending news. Those of us old enough to remember 26 years ago, which by the way, was the conservatives era of their messiah, Reagan, know that the USA never recovered from that recession. Even if Reagan inherited it from Carter, this was still THREE years after he gained office, Obama hasn't been there for one and yet you people whine. Tell you what, you hate him, or any political affiliation so bad, REFUSE any raise or anything either party in charge gives you a chance for, that will show them. Say NO to the money if you are of suck moral fiber

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sorry, I meant SUCH moral fiber

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Right you are man.. Its just the first time in my life, that I have not been able to find low grade work.. I mean not even at a fast food place like burger king i am being turned down.. And I finished 2 years of school after High school..

Even saying I that I lower myself to work fast food is almost a blow to my ego.
Granted there is nothing wrong with Fast food work.. Its just in my mind, its something that teenagers do while they are going through school...

I have done that once in my life, and now it seems I can not even find that..

Whats going on in the world?? Well I know the answer to that, but again.. It not only hurts my ego, but is hurting everyone all around..

I went to day labor, and could not get placed for a job that will give me 40 hours a week.. I was not trained to be a grunt.. I went to school to better myself... So maybe I need to move to a bigger city where I am closer to more jobs.. But even those big cities are hurting right now..

I heard Texas is good right now.. But do not have the money to get to Texas at this point.. I am kinda stuck where I am right now until I have the funds to get out there.. As it stands I have enough to put a roof over my head and a little food in my belly..

And I don't mean to sound like I am whining or complaining.. But jezz, In all my years I have never gone through this in my life.
I could always walk down the street and find some dead end job..

Its like the dead end jobs are now being over sought, and cherished like my old AV job, before I was laided off due to cut backs...

I guess I am just venting a little bit here.. Thanks for listening buddy!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

It was the same way in 1982.
Too many people not enough jobs.
Back then a lot of people joined the military just to get a job.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreezeM
How about this one: Spread of interest rates !!!

That one is very amusing - perhaps that was the underlying reason for all those credit cards that were sent out with 79.9% interest rate.

Would they include credit card rates in that calculation I wonder?

The idea that there is any kind of a recovery is a pipe dream - it is not happening, and probably never will.

The US is in decline, its currency is headed to oblivion and its work force will be payed 3rd world rates in future.

Its normally a fairly slow process - but it seems like hidden powers wish to make it happen as fast as possible.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join