It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory regarding Multiple Personality Disorder+Dumbing Down+owners of media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I had an idea today....

Multiple personality syndrome happens because the mind is under-stimulated;
that is to say, the current singular personality isn't 'feeding' it enough.

Because of this, the mind splits the personality &/or creates new additional personalities to compensate for the lack of nourishment it is receiving.

Therefore the mind, by doing this; seeks extra activities for itself, to be provided by the additional personalities/ego's.

In this way, the NWO's dumbing down of the masses by culture/trend definition, the media & other means, could well have contributed to the rise of mental problems throughout the development of this modern materialistic society & continuing.

which they in turn would be rather pleased about.

Just a random thought that floated through the ethers this morning...

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

[edit on 6/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Interesting ideas..

The rise of mental health problems is very obviously a result of sick values.. that we continue to piss on things that are the good things in life. That is poisoning our minds throughoutly and then our bodies.

You know, freedom of thought, compassion, peace, harmony.. our lovely TPTB are trying to hold this collapsing system together, but it cannot last, because it's based on wrong values. In capitalism (sorry, have to speak my mind here) the other person in always your client when he should be your brother and a friend.
It's diverting by nature.

We need to change.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
fits my ex-girlfriend perfectly

2nd line

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
There is no evidence to support the notion that an understimulated brain will create additional personalities. At most, it will sometimes create hallucinations, as sensory deprivation experiments suggest.

The cause of "multiple personalities" - now referred to as "dissociative identity disorder" (DID) - is related to trauma. It is often seen in cases of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). So actually DID results, not from understimulation of the mind, but rather from a traumatic overstimulation resulting in the mind being temporarily overwhelmed.

As for mental illness being a result of "sick values", it doesn't appear that this is true. The evidence seems to indicate that mental illness is a result of either certain traumas, or chemical imbalances in the brain. A soldier subjected to the trauma of battle, or a civilian who survives some sort of catastrophe, may develop PTSD or other psychological problems. Children raised in violent or abusive environments often become disturbed. Trauma plays a part in many cases of mental illness.

However, chemical imbalances in the brain are increasingly being recognized as another cause of mental illness, possibly more important than the role of trauma. In fact, some psychiatrists go as far as to suggest that traumatic experiences account for very few psychological problems.

If mental illness is a result of "sick values", then it is most likely the overuse of endless chemicals, which is probably doing a fine job of scrambling our brains. That's assuming that things are getting worse, rather than we're simply better able to recognize problems now.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Yes, but what is the cause of these traumas? I view them as symptoms, not the cause. The current situation in the society IS the cause of the traumas.

We are continuously bombarded by negative, distracting news by the media, if you haven't noticed. If the kids are continually lied to and brainwashed, no wonder that psychological problems are on the rise.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

If mental illness is a result of "sick values", then it is most likely the overuse of endless chemicals, which is probably doing a fine job of scrambling our brains.

Chemical imbalances are often the symptom of a deeper problem, not the problem itself. Many "personality quirks" of yesteryear are now being discovered to be cognitive disorders brought about by the structure of the brain and it's interconnected regions. Deficiencies and deficits in one region may be compensated by other closely related regions with effort - or may result in permenant behavioral patterns. Cognitive disorders can lead to more well known and broadly reaching phenomena, such as sadistic behavior, or can represent less well known disorders affecting isolated and (from an outside perspective, seemingly arbitrary) cognitive functions - such as the inability to recognize shapes (Spatial agnosia).

On the colloquial opposite side of the spectrum from dissociative identity disorder, you have Split Brain patients (not related to DID) who's corpus callosum has been severed/malformed. These patients project only one single personality - but by blocking the appropriate sensory inputs to isolate each hemisphere - it's possible to interview each hemisphere individually - presenting the interviewer with two separate and distinct expressions of the same base personality.

I think the era of the much aligned pharma-psychologist and "Couch Quackery" is coming to an end, as chemical imbalances are explained more fully and used more as diagnosis tools, rather than seen as themselves the problem. The big advantage that cognitive and neuroscience has provided psychology is the ability to break down the mental processes and view their interactions in real time via fMRI and other imaging technologies. This provides an actual evidence based method for diagnosis and treatment - rather than the soft and ineffective methods of psychoanalysis or behavioral analysis alone.

The Ritalin debacle of recent memory, the over diagnosis and over-medication of the youth - as well as the anti-depressant surge of recent years is a good example of how older methods of diagnosis and treatment were too limited and prone to subjective positions and attitudes.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

Not sure I agree with you there to be honest. My ex g/f was raped as a 7 year old and she developed other personalities as a result of that incident. I think with her, she created them to cope with her ordeals which persisted for 12 months or more. She speaks like a little girl now when stressed and retains no memory of it afterward. I recorded her conversation to prove to her I wasn't pulling her leg

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
didnt the CIA use torture and other form of trauma to induce multiple personalities in subject they wanted to make into sleeper agents during the MKULTRA era? That was my understanding anyway.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Tryptych

Agreed society is...well...fcuked.
(i don't get paid for that subliminal either ;P)

but capitalism? I admit i don't know what that is exactly, i've always gotten confused about that & communism etc.

I did recently have some old self taught observations defined for me with the proper words in order to enable me to discuss them properly (less abstract ways) and I think the problem is the materialist/dualism mentality & the western education over the last 50-60yrs+its impact on the way children are raised, all of that+ technological advancements increasing at a rate faster than our understanding of said technology is able to keep up with. dangerous dangerous exciting creatures we are/time this is.

However trauma caused problems are a totally different thing to what i'm talking about & life is often a little more complicated then just 'society did it!'...it would be nice if it were that simple/easy....

Instead of dealing with trauma caused issues obviously caused by the traumatic events, my idea looks more at the combination of the general external influences of society that the majority deal with, and that the majority are equally quite zombie like & plod along refusing to ask questions. this combination of an inability to deal with sh1t when it hits the fan, is caused by the bombardment! bombardment! bombardment! & outgoing energy day after day...wearing people down...this mind numbingly boring & un-natural existance could be like torture for the mind & the soul. out of pain and desperation the mind/soul compensates with a mental disorder. shake things up a bit, keep things interesting.

Totalstranger -fits my ex-girlfriend perfectly lol

Ha! ...

chiron613 There is no evidence to support the notion that an understimulated brain will create additional personalities. At most, it will sometimes create hallucinations, as sensory deprivation experiments suggest....

I was expecting a reply like this...nowhere did i claim there was any existing evidence of my theory, but this is obvious to most as A.)Its a theory B.)just a thought i had this morning & C.)its just a theory.

let me take this opportunity to say that it manifested in my mind out of nowhere, no chain of preceding thoughts, just POP! there it was. not based on any prior official psychological study or recognised qualifications. I didn't even think it out, it manifested instantaneously in its entirely & i wrote it down. So to come at me with a bunch of established fact & technical blather is pointless because firstly it goes over my head & secondly I'm talking about my idea being an ADDITIONAL possible cause, not a replacement, i'm asking whether its that crazy to be open to the possibility of my idea being 'on to something' or 'worth its salt' and perhaps something of value that should be tested by smarted people than i with time to commit. I won't be able to dicern such things by simply having prior knowledge regurgitated back to me by someone who would know doubt kick my arse at a game of cards called 'memory', which, like the lack of evidence to support my theory, is irrelevant.

thanks for your interest all the same & welcome you to further contribute constructively if u have more to say

Lasheic

alot of the techy blather went over my head but what i was able to comprehend i agree with. my mother was on anti-depressants for probably 15yrs or so of my life, and as it was only a few years ago she was able to stop using them i know some of what you mention regarding chemical imbalance, also definately know that yes to identify the imbalance as the systemic root of the problem, is ig'nant.

I know what my mum suffered from was due to childhood trauma & not being able to separate from her ego, step into the 3rd person, to re-evaluate reactions & behaviour in reoccurring events, unable to break the patterns that caused her suffering....although due to other methods she found a way to work through things & she has been doing quite fantastically for some time now

Apocalypse69

I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend, several of my family members have gone through similar things.

TiM3LoRd

dunno, I have heard this, but not done any real research of my own.
But your understanding should expand to include realising that those events alone would not solely be responsible for all mental problems, to assume that would be silly no?

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I've always thought the opposite was true. The concept of compartmentalizing the mind to protect from an over-stimulation.

As in horrific trauma or torture we create different pathways as a coping mechanism.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
I've always thought the opposite was true. The concept of compartmentalizing the mind to protect from an over-stimulation.

As in horrific trauma or torture we create different pathways as a coping mechanism.

could it be that we only perceive it as 'over-stimulation' & something we need protecting from? in that sense, what is there to fear but fear itself?

could it be that instead it is merely the natural levels of stimulation and we are just not used to it? perhaps it has to be a slower process, some would think a snail the happiest creature on the earth, for such a slow paced life could cause no stress...

perhaps this compartmentalised mind is caused by our education systems & due to the way we were shown to learn new concepts not by understanding them in a personal way that makes sense to the individual whilst still allowing him/her to properly apply the knowledge as anyone else would, in turn maintaining its universal practicality; but instead schools teach the children how to memorise other peoples words & as long as they can regurgitate the words on cue then it doesn't matter if the concepts are properly understood. its a carefully planned ig'nance creating machine.

we have to adapt/adjust back to the norm, gradually over time, we have a massive brain of which we use little. I have experienced restlessness & paranoia when my mind is undernourished, which happens when I exercise my brain alot or break new ground in my understanding of things & follow it with minimal activity, like a wave meeting the beach the regression back from newly covered ground causes my mind the disruptions.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

yes i understand that not ALL people who suffer from this disorder are CIA mind control slaves. I was merely pointing out that the desired effect was achieved via extreme stimuli and not the opposite. Obviously there are natural incidents that can have the desired effect. If anything i suspect that the CIA looked into this type of controll after they discovered that it occurred naturally, so to speak.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

fair enough
i just started reading a book that talks about some of what you're on about, its called 'the 10 sciences of the illuminati' and its slow going as its not that pleasant a read, all about trauma based mind control.

-B.M

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Oh ok. I think this all started with Josef Mengele and his experiments during ww2. then with paperclip when the Nazi scientists were smuggled to the US his research was fine tuned if you will.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

then with paperclip ...

the microsoft paperclip? always hated that bastard....knows too much...and besides, help is only definable as 'help' if its actually helpful, and by those rules: epic fail microsoft.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

new topics

top topics

join