It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Something Going on with the Banks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Something is up.

Around 8 PM EST I attempted to take money of the ATM at work to no avail. I tried usuccesfully a few more times and kept getting the message: "transaction cannot be processed at this time". I started to worry that someone got into my bank account, but a couple other people - with debit cards from different banks, got the same message. I just assumed it was the machine.

I went to the store after work, about 20 minutes ago, and the clerk told me that I could only run a debit card as credit.

I checked my banks website (it's a large regional bank). It's down for "routine maintenance". But they always do that at like 3 AM on Sundays.

I don't know if this is someting that is happening locally or not. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I haven't had direct trouble with my bank but I do work at a gas station and have been noticing that a lot of debit cards have not been working when customers pay at the pump or inside at the register, yet their transaction will go through as credit. I know that using credit takes a few days to clear and will usually process even if you don't have sufficient funds in your account, unlike a debit card. However, it has been happening a lot more lately, but that could also be due to the economy. I also heard from my mother (rumor and gossip queen) that she spoke to a police officer and that all cards, credit or debit, are going to triple encoding. I am not exactly sure what that means but it would explain the trouble with the cards and all the bank updates.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PistolPete

The rumors that I have heard say...When you start having trouble using
your credit or debit cards, the bank collapse is about to take place.It's
suppose to happen sometime this month,I don't have any proof.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's Friday. Time for another set of banks to fail.

Watch the FDIC failed banks web page...

Yup, four more today.

www.fdic.gov...

Home Federal Savings Bank Detroit, MI - November 6, 2009 November 6, 2009- minus $5.4M
Gateway Bank of St. Louis St. Louis, MO - November 6, 2009 - minus $9.2M
United Security Bank Sparta, GA - November 6, 2009 - minus $58M
Prosperan Bank Oakdale, MN - November 6, 2009 - minus $60.1M

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Something going on with the banks?
Well, they are certainly not giving out toasters for new accounts anymore.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have had issues using my card as debit at certian places, namely gas stations. I go somewhere else because I don't want them used as credit. If you use the cards as credit they hold at least $75 for several days no matter how much your purchase is. I only keep enough in checking to pay bills so it could cost me overdraft fees if Im not careful. I think is more the machnes at certian locations than anything else. One Mobil station it doesn't work, another Mobil down the street it works fine. So it's likely not the bank or the corporate setup, but the actual credit card machine.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

True...but my bank gave out cash.

I got a $100 bonus just for signing up a free checking account with a small minimun balance.

It's not all THAT bad.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nice site.... decided to create a graph off that table.

Originally posted by Dbriefed
It's Friday. Time for another set of banks to fail.

Watch the FDIC failed banks web page...

Yup, four more today.

www.fdic.gov...

Home Federal Savings Bank Detroit, MI - November 6, 2009 November 6, 2009- minus $5.4M
Gateway Bank of St. Louis St. Louis, MO - November 6, 2009 - minus $9.2M
United Security Bank Sparta, GA - November 6, 2009 - minus $58M
Prosperan Bank Oakdale, MN - November 6, 2009 - minus $60.1M

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Dbriefed]

new topics

top topics

join