It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Should Bar Funds for China-Backed Wind Farm, Schumer Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Nov. 6 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration should bar a $1.5 billion wind-farm project in Texas from receiving U.S. government stimulus funds because most of the power turbines would be made in China, Senator Charles Schumer said.

“The idea that stimulus funds would be used to create jobs overseas is quite troubling,” Schumer, a New York Democrat, wrote in a draft of a letter he said yesterday he would send to U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu. “I urge you to reject any request for stimulus money unless the high-value components, including the wind turbines, are manufactured in the United States.”

The Democratic senator said he was “furious” when he learned that $450 million in U.S. economic recovery aid may be used to help build the wind farm and create as many as 3,000 jobs, mostly in China. “I don’t care if the Chinese invest here and create jobs here: It’s where the jobs are that I care about,” Schumer told reporters yesterday in Washington. “I think if you told the other 99 senators about this the vast majority would agree with me.”

news.yahoo.com...

I'm not a big fan of Chuck Schumer...but I gotta say....I agree with him 110 percent on this one. Our tax dollars going to China....and creating jobs IN CHINA on top of that is ridiculous!!!

Now...if they'd only do something about NAFTA. We need to protect AMERICAN MANUFACTURING!!!! We need to start producing things of value here again!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You and he both are absolutely right. I'm freaking sick of us shipping jobs out to India and China, Pakistan, The Philippines..ETC. It's ridiculous and its cutting the monetary base right out from underneath us. You want economic recovery? CREATE JOBS AT HOME!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Schumer is 100% correct and anyone who thinks differently is un-american. Anything we are capable of producing ourselves should not be imported regardless if it is government money or not. Anything less is selling out America. It's not really cheaper if it cost you or your neighbor their job. No imports until we get full employment.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What is wrong with american made GE wind turbines.
www.gepower.com...
www.gepower.com...

Sounds like the US government is trying to bankrupt another americian company so they can take over.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This will never change until we do the ONLY thing that will matter...

FAIR Trade not FREE (for them not for us) Trade.

We cannot compete in our own markets when a chinese worker average less than $6,000 a year (not including the slave labor here).

Fair Tariffs on imported goods period!

Otherwise we will sink our standard of living to match theirs... No thanks.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I agree, this is BS!

Its our tax money and therefore not one penny of it should leave this country, period,
end of debate, next discussion...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
YOu can thank your own government for creating this mess by severely crippling manufacturing in the US, and not pushing fair trade.

Is Schumer correct? Yes . . . but the only reason it has come to this is because of the actions of him and his ilk.

That is like a parent getting rid of all the vegetables in the house, replacing them with candy, then getting mad at the kids for only eating candy.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Indeed. But when one parent says enough is enough and wants to bring back the vegies, it is a good thing, There ARE American wind turbine manufacturers, large and small.

Every American who wants to see taxpayer dollars go to American companies for American jobs needs to contact their congressman, of any political persuasion, and tell them to support Sen Schumer on this.

Apparently this Texas company thinks that the US has continued to move westward and China is a 51st state.

I've emailed Schumer and my reps already.

Thanks, David, for this thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It appears the governemnt has NO interest in its own citizens* sickening and downright pahtetic. Their usuing stiumuls money for all this? People better get on the horn with people in government and start expressing themselves!!! protesting as well, this deal, that was made between government and china. 3,000 new jobs overseas..so much for any kind of economic recovery for us all, as the feds so called children*
Damn staright, i will go around and try to avoid anyting made in china* jsut about everything is, but if you look around, moreso online, you can stillfind made in america. i am totaly willing to pay the extra money for anyting made in america* not only have i stimulated, the economy, in tha purchase, but who knows! mgiht have saved a job here as well, or created!
I wonder why china seems to be the interest and growing giant, businesswise? it seems thiers more to it than just that..business=politics, maybe one day, china will own USA?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The point is, what i stheir agenda and game. 9/11--the helpers who got sick, were promised a $50 million or billion, (i keep forgetting which it was) for those twho got ill. All of them as far as i know, were denied. I wonder where all that money got laundered too..IF it was really thier.
Imagine how many new buisnesses and jobs could have been created wtih that stimulus money HERE AT HOME! nO , thier giving it to china, politically, thier still kinda on the communsit side. I knowso, cause a friend of mine at work, older guy is form china, and talking, he tells me looks are decieving. The cabinet members, and so forth, are mostly coomunsit by influence* so here we see the governemnnt supporting and paying off, in a sense, communists* or communsim. A month or so ago, the communsit party china held at the top of the empire state building..
It alljsut seems, thier trying ot secretly alter our lifestyles, and slip socialsim, communsim into place, teaching people and kds over a generation or so, this is how it is. Really, ther probably gunna go ahead and build those fans.: ( i wonder if the chinese peolpe or china get massive kcikbacks off the project as well?
Persoanlly ide vandalize those fans every chance i get, throw moneky wrenches in thier gears* so to speak, bring em down!!!!! spread the message, NOT made in america, NO DEAL!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Bottom line is, that OUR tax money paying china!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Bottom line is, that OUR tax money paying china!!!

Dont worry. It's not our money.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They should be giving this money to US companies who have invented new more efficient wind turbines than the "traditional" wind turbines.

MagLev Wind Turbine

MagLev wind turbines, the next generation of wind turbines is capable of generating power from wind speeds as low as 1.5 m/s and reported to operate in winds reaching 40 m/s. This large wind turbine from maglev industries will also increase generation capacity by 20% at the same time decreasing operational costs by 50% over the traditional wind turbine. Maglev also claims that this particular turbine will be operational for 500 years, a staggering claim.

In this video they claim that just ONE of these turbines could generate as much power as 500 "traditional wind turbines!

MagLev Wind Turbine company

Instead the US will probably be purchasing THOUSANDS of "traditional" turbines from China.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
But wait a second... this is free market capitalism at work, right? The glorious God-given right to outsource, buy from cheapest sources, regardless of national boundary?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Someone336
But wait a second... this is free market capitalism at work, right? The glorious God-given right to outsource, buy from cheapest sources, regardless of national boundary?

Damn communists!!!

:0

new topics

top topics

join