It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expanding Hollow Earth theory

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If one wants a simple means with which to dispute a Hollow Earth theory, they need not look much further than Gravity.

To create the average Earth gravity, 9.80665 m/s/s, mass of the Planet must be 5.9736 × 10^24 kg (wikipedia for number). This is simple enough Physics, learnt at A level in the UK. If, for instance, the Earth is Hollow, and we assume maybe a tenth of the actual sphere is solid, then to get this mass you need something ten times denser. This is infact denser than anything known to occur naturally, except for the contents of stars held together by their own enormous mass.

That is the first fundamental reason this makes no sense.

For an object on the inside of the sphere gravity works toward the centre of mass, which is toward the centre of the sphere. The object would then "fall" into the "sky", if using traditional terms for the environment proposed.

Centripetal/fugal effects would not counteract this on the inside, as it does not cause people to fly off the ground at the equator.

That covers the fundamental reasons why such a structure is impossible without Sci-fi notions such as impossibly strong materials and antigravity, and even with those it would have to be built by someone else.

If you want to read more on these reasons, go look up why a Dyson Sphere can't be built. The only feasible Megatructures with this sort of thing would be a Ringworld/Stanford Torus/Orbital/Halo (written in approximate order of chronological depiction) sort of structure. And that is because you can provide gravity in those scenarios with rotation, because you don't want to put anything on the outside.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by apex]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Earth IS expanding and it is NOT hollow. Why would these two totally different theories be joined? Expanding Earth is a very logical, scientific theory. Hollow Earth is not.

Whoever joined them, wanted to discredit the truth.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
reply to post by OhZone

Omg what a pathetic attempt to discredit a well established earth mechanic. Have you even bothered to read up on the new makings of a sea which is happening in Ethiopia where the land is splitting in 2 creating fissures deepening ever more as the land masses are pulled apart. Not to mention how earthquakes work and what triggers them.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by loner007]

You obviously did not read the info on the Links I provided.
You do see however the splitting of the EArth in Ethiopia..that is evidence of the Expanding Earth.

Aso to well Established Earth Machanics.
"Some ridiculed ideas which had no single supporter:
Ball lightning (lacking a theory, it was long dismissed as retinal afterimages)
Catastrophism (ridicule of rapid Earth changes, asteroid mass extinctions)
Child abuse (before 1950, doctors were mystified by "spontaneous" childhood bruising)
Cooperation or altruism between animals (versus Evolution's required competition)
Instantaneous meteor noises (evidence rejected because sound should be delayed by distance)
Mind-body connection (psychoneuroimmunology, doctors ridiculed any emotional basis for disease)
Perceptrons (later vindicated as Neural Networks)
Permanent magnet levitation ("Levitron" shouldn't have worked) "

lists continued

Arrhenius (ion chemistry)
Alfven, Hans (galaxy-scale plasma dynamics)
Baird, John L. (television camera)
Bakker, Robert (fast, warm-blooded dinosaurs)
Bardeen & Brattain (transistor)
Bretz J Harlen (ice age geology)
Chandrasekhar, Subrahmanyan (black holes in 1930)
Chladni, Ernst (meteorites in 1800)
Crick & Watson (DNA)
Doppler (optical Doppler effect)
Folk, Robert L. (existence and importance of nanobacteria)
Galvani (bioelectricity)
Harvey, William (circulation of blood, 1628)
Krebs (ATP energy, Krebs cycle)
Galileo (supported the Copernican viewpoint)
Gauss, Karl F. (nonEuclidean geometery)
Binning/Roher/Gimzewski (scanning-tunneling microscope)
Goddard, Robert (rocket-powered space ships)
Goethe (Land color theory)
Gold, Thomas (deep non-biological petroleum deposits)
Gold, Thomas (deep mine bacteria)
Lister, J (sterilizing)
T Maiman (Laser)

This is only half the list.
see more on the above link.

For a list of previously Abhorrant Ideas:
Abhorrant science

Such as:
"Scientists have declared the pursuit of the flying machine to be a fool's errand. Dr. S. Newcomb has shown them to be impossible. If one could be built, it would illustrate that the scientists are the fools, and the crazy dreamers were right all along.

Lord Kelvin has declared that X-rays are bunk. Modern physicists could not have missed such an important phenomenon. If X-rays are real, then it makes the experts look like fools. "

The Wright Brothers flying machines were declared a Hoax in several Big City News Papers.

Would you like to tell me again about what is Well Established Science?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by OhZone]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
You guys with these leftfield hypothesis (not theory, theory has been tested) only induce me to respond in the manner that I now will. I am a student working on a doctorate in geochemical volcanology and physics. This is where I shine and I can say this is totally laughable both of them.

The Earth cannot be in essence hollow; we do now have ground penetrating radar and imaging devises that can see down there. Like a previous poster said the mass of the Earth dictates its solidity because that much mass in a hollow sphere would be many times bigger than it is today. I do not say that huge caverns cannot exist deep in the Earth but hollow is a very funny idea. This is no science idea only pipe dreams.

Now concerning expanding Earth, the only way the Earth gets bigger is when meteorites and space debris enters the atmosphere and this can only account for 200 feet or so in several billion years, clearly not expanding Earth. I have read a little about this idea also and I can tell you that fundamentally matter cannot grow only transform into other forms. This was made law by Newton who said energy can neither be created nor destroyed. This ends the discussion right there the Earth cannot expand into a less dense state nor can the matter or make up of it be found to grow.

For the record I have a very open mind and I say this is two accounts of very dumb ideas that have no real merit in science, I mean this literally and with all of my little true scientist heart. My educated and openminded advice is to bag this theory and get ready for the geocalculus which I am about to begin work on. This will tie in the real physics and calculus of how geology works concerning plate tectonics and volcanism and hopefully the physics of the different parts of the mantle and core as well.

I don't mean to sound rude but this is very funny stories to a geologist like me and I cannot help but respond. I hope you guys are intelligent enough to ditch these hollow beliefs and take some more science classes in college. They may not have everything right but enough is correct that we can know without doubt the Earth is not Hollow or growing/expanding. I do believe there is a great gulf between the lower mantle and the outter core, but all Earth is not possibly hollow as a whole.

later on,
Angel One

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Angel One

*Finally* a little sense and logic to this otherwise absurd notion. And yes, guys - a "hollow Earth" is absurd. Sorry, but it is.

I especially enjoyed one poster who suggested that the Sun too, was hollow.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by sphinx551

Ok I am listenng to link 1.. It said they read some real science books and the books were so complcated to them that they made up their own theory. LOL, science at its best.

This reminds me of this show I saw on the Science Channel where they were talking about String Theory. It amazes me how many theories are created out of thin air with no scientific backing. Apparently quite a few of them just start off as random ideas someone had that they then try to prove, rather than coming to an educated guess based off actual data. Pretty insane in some ways but I'm sure it's worked for a lot of scientific theories.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by herbivore
Earth IS expanding and it is NOT hollow. Why would these two totally different theories be joined? Expanding Earth is a very logical, scientific theory. Hollow Earth is not.

To be honest, Hollow Earth theory is more ridiculous to me than Expanding Earth theory.
I still think Expanding Earth theory is a viable theory. Hollow Earth theory not much. Maybe in a parallel universe somewhere Earth really is hollow. Just maybe then.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by sphinx551]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Angel, are you saying that Ground Penetrating Radare can penetrate the th center of the Earth?

Expanding Earth would necessitate a hollow center that would also enlarge.

To vigorously deny either in the absense of proof is foolish.

Can anyone prove that Earth has a solid Core? NO. It is an assumption without basis.

None of you have addressed the matter of just how both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans can be expanding.
None of you has explained just what motivates the Tectonic Plates to move.
Boiling magma?
What causes it to boil? How about the heat produced by the Friction of the moving Plates...and of course we are back again to what causes the plates to move.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by OhZone]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Can anyone prove that Earth has a solid Core? NO. It is an assumption without basis.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by OhZone]

And I will keep repeating myself. Until Earth humans send a probe machine to the bottom of the Earth to find out, it would all just be "educated" speculation and constant bickering between "skeptics" and "believers".

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I cant believe people are wanting to believe in a expanding earth theory. Are they so intellectually challenged? If the Earth didnt have a core then what is causing the magnetic fields that protect the Earth?

Oh wait i think i already know the answer you are going to say the magnetic poles are a myth made up by science also.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

I'm so depressed [chortle, chortle]. If what you are alledging is true, my "flat earth" no longer exists. What will I do with my now obsolete AAA road maps that I treasure. I will no longer be able to "go over the edge". Now when I "walk in circles" I could literally be going "in and out" and not to the burger place in Commiefornia.

Does the "inner earth" hear us? Do they take MasterCard? Can I get there from here? When you are flying across the border from "inner earth" to "outer earth" are you flying up or down? Can you see the stars there? Is there a horizon? Are rainbows allowed? Does "inner earth" have a government? Does the "inner earth" have weather? Do the rivers run up hill? Do the UFOs have a Pep Boys to fix their "starboard flux capacitors"?

2nd line ... there should be and icon for the ATS spell "checler" above thsi widnow!!! There already is an icon for everythig including the kitchen sink.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
I cant believe people are wanting to believe in a expanding earth theory. Are they so intellectually challenged? If the Earth didnt have a core then what is causing the magnetic fields that protect the Earth?

Oh wait i think i already know the answer you are going to say the magnetic poles are a myth made up by science also.

Why should the Earth need a solid core to have a magnetic field?

YOu did not look at the site I linked to that explains the Expanding Earth.
Read it and then come back here and refute what it says.

I'd really like to know what you have to say other than you opinions based on nothing but your opinion and the Traditional assumptions.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

nope but what i can do is free myself of reading more of your crap. welcome to my ignore list

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

This was made law by Newton who said energy can neither be created nor destroyed. This ends the discussion right there the Earth cannot expand into a less dense state nor can the matter or make up of it be found to grow.

On the contrary, it does far from end the discussion. If matter cannot be created or destroyed, merely change state, then why is it not possible that there are processes within the earth itself that change the state of matter, from say a gas to a solid, or a plasma to a solid. If the input was plasma, and the output solid matter, then dirt falling from space would not be the only way for solid matter to expand the earth. It's not like the universe is short of plasma now is it?

Also, is it not possible for the earth to expand without any great change in mass? Think popcorn.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by quackers]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Ok science people does this make sense?

www.greyfalcon.us...

It's a long article but you will need some knowledge as alot of this is the work of Edmund Halley, a brilliant English astronomer whose mathematical calculations pinpointed the return of the comet that bears his name

Thing that gets me is, North and south poles are no fly zones and you never seen an upto date space view of them either.

Not a big follower of this but i cant say i dont want it to be true, after all if it was and there was cities of paradise down there then tptb would obviously want to hide it.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer84

I understand, however you have any idea how hot a rock has to be to melt? Even if the Earth was hollow (which it isn't) the temperatures in the supposed hollow core would be super extreme.

It would be about the equivalent of stepping outside on Venus.

-----------------------

To all the ignorant ones:

Yes rock can melt.....

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angel One
The Earth cannot be in essence hollow; we do now have ground penetrating radar and imaging devises that can see down there. Like a previous poster said the mass of the Earth dictates its solidity because that much mass in a hollow sphere would be many times bigger than it is today.

That's a false assumption. First of all, you only know earth's mass by deducting the results of your radar probing and an there may be an unknown factor distorting your data.

Second, there may be a layer down there with a very heavy mass, like the material black holes are made of. We simply don't know as long as we haven't drilled all the way through.

Nevertheless, if classic Hollow Earth theory (including two polar openings to the inside) was true, one would expect at least one person to have gone through the hole and brought some pictures or objects with him. The lack of such evidence and the required cooperation of anyone with access to satellite footage of North- or South-Pole are the reasons I don't support this theory. I also have some issues with the idea of a central sun.

Classic Hollow Earth theory :

[edit on 18-11-2009 by PC equals Newspeak]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
How hard would it be for scientists to do some experiment with Magnetic Balls. I think a solid ball would have not poles, but a hollow one would have.
I have a magnetic Hematie necklace made of 8mm balls. Paradoxicly they readily cling to each other and there is not repulsion anywhere. The necklace is broken and so I have a handful of little balls.
They all readily cling to the North side of a block magnet. They also cling to the South side, but not as strongly and prefer to migrate to the flux field at the sides.

Now apply that to the Earth's magnetic field. Why is there a definite North and South Pole to the Earth?

Anyone?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join