It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Device Like 'Star Trek' Replicator Might Fly on Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Device Like 'Star Trek' Replicator Might Fly on Space Station

news.yahoo.com

Space explorers have yet to get their hands on the replicator of "Star Trek" to create anything they might require. But NASA has developed a technology that could enable lunar colonists to carry out on-site manufacturing on the moon, or allow future astronauts to create critical spare parts during the long trip to Mars.

The method, called electron beam freeform fabrication (EBF3), uses an electron beam to melt metals and build objects layer by layer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fuentek.com
www.youtube.com
www.nasa.gov

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is crazy cool and the first I've heard of it. They say that the construction industry has been using machines like this for awhile, but her machine is unique in that it can build entire machines rapidly and efficiently. This includes building complex parts within the machine like sensors.

She now has a machine that's much more portable (suit case sized) that's nearly ready to go into actual space for testing.

The EBF3 has the potential to revolutionize our space capabilities. We could build much larger and more powerful machines in a zero degree environment, and it has the potential to allow safer and much more extended space missions.

Imagine going to mars with this machine and enough raw material to build a small mining operation. You land, the machine creates the mining apparatus and drill, then you get more materials, and the EBF3 basically builds your colony for you.

Pretty exciting stuff, and I thought I would share.

On a side note, the EBF3 is partly funded by NASA, DARPA, Lockheed, and Boeing, so you know it has to be good for making some kind of weapon.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

I read a long time ago (I think Bob Lazar) about captured UFO’s that were discovered to have been made from a crystalline-metal material that had no seams because they were grown rather than built.

I know it sounds crazy but the first thing that came to my mind was “Is this our technology or theirs?”

Starred and flagged, awesome story

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This sounds like an extremely advanced 3-D printer. They build things up from scratch, layer by layer, using wax and dye.. may as well look for a video..

3D Printer

There we go.

Weapon-wise.. They could probably use this technology to make a bomb that has no opening to dismantle. That's all I could come up with off the top of my head.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saidin
This sounds like an extremely advanced 3-D printer. They build things up from scratch, layer by layer, using wax and dye.. may as well look for a video..

3D Printer

There we go.

Weapon-wise.. They could probably use this technology to make a bomb that has no opening to dismantle. That's all I could come up with off the top of my head.

or they could have a suitcase with seemingly benign materials transported to places. Then those materials would be converted by the replicator into missiles, bombs, etc.

You could basically make a missile anywhere you wanted as long as you had the material. Heck, if it was advanced enough, it could make a nuke!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is fascinating. Imagine where this technology could take us. I'm sure with enough time, enough advancement in our understanding and technical ability, we could get around the need for a vaccum environment, and we could extend it past using other minerals, like rocks.

Then we could build huge stone megaliths that would strike awe in the hearts of all who saw them, and we could build them with wiring and technological components built right into the wall. We could design huge statues in a computer and then have it printed out in pristine detail in something really hard, like diorite. You could make hundreds of identical interlocking slabs that would fit together like a jigsaw to make a building. They'd stand for thousands of years, long after our civilisation was dead and forgotten. Of course, the technological aspect may not work without a compatible power source, but they'd still be impressive.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Nope. That's not it.
At least their trying.
We need an air replicator for life support.
20% Oxygen / 80% Nitrogen
I'm sure the Sport Model that Bob Lazar was on had 1 or 2
small ones. Matter and energy are interchangeable.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Well, the biggest hurdle would probably be creating a beam that could effectively melt and rebuild the material wires. As far as my understanding goes, it can create materials with whatever the beam can melt.

I suppose technically it could create a statue of liberty or something like that.

Rock might be difficult, doesn't it need to get really hot to melt?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I love advances in technology! This is a great one in the history of fabrication/manufacturing. Sounds like a fancy playdo extruder

Actually, I came to this thread thinking I would finally find the ultimate invention I've been yearning for...the FOOD replicator. Oh, well, I'm still impressed.

new topics

top topics

join