It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Govt report says there were 13,000 enemy attacks in Afghanistan between Jan-Aug '09!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hi ATS!

I found this pdf on the US Government Accountability Office website which contains some amazing figures (if true).

Subject: Afghanistan’s Security Environment

In March 2009, out of concern that the overall security situation in Afghanistan had not improved after more than 7 years of U.S. and international efforts, the administration completed a 60-day strategic review of U.S. policy and the security environment in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Afghanistan’s Security Situation Continues to Worsen as Enemy-Initiated Attacks Increase

Afghanistan’s security situation has deteriorated significantly since 2005, affecting all aspects of U.S. and allied reconstruction operations. As we reported in April 2009, the rise in enemy-initiated attacks on civilians and on U.S., Afghan, and coalition security forces has resulted from various factors, including a resurgence of the Taliban, the limited capabilities of Afghan security forces, a thriving illicit drug trade, and threats emanating from insurgent safe havens in Pakistan.

Since 2005, attacks on civilians, as well as on Afghan and coalition forces, have increased every year. The most recent data available, as of August 2009, showed the highest rate of enemy-initiated attacks since Afghanistan’s security situation began to deteriorate. Overall, nearly 13,000 attacks were recorded between January and August 2009—more than two and a half times the number experienced during the same period last year and more than five times the approximately 2,400 attacks reported in all of 2005.

13,000 between January '09 and August ''09!

Five times the number in 2005

I just had to bring this to the attention of my fellow ATS members.

What the hell are we doing there? What has gone on in that country to create such an decline inthe security situation there.

How on earth can we justify the hundreds of billions of dollars, thousands of lives, hundreds of thousands civilian casualties, for results like this.

I doubt we can find any solution here friends, but I just thought figures like this need to be highlighted.

Do you think it's possible that these numbers are being padded to ensure Obama has support for sending more troops and NOT pulling out?

It is the only thing I can think of, since 13,000 in eight months (if you include January and August) is over 50 attacks a day, staggering.

Peace, Kiwifoot!

[edit on 5-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't think these numbers are exaggerated, or a short-term political ploy. The Afghan war is asymmetric. The majority of all people killed in modern wars are civilians. If this happens in a country with blood venegance, airstrikes and usage of killer drones in the night won't win sympathy. Every civilian who is killed has numerous relatives. Some will mourn in silence, some will become angry and some will become violent. Most of the violence is not religious inspired but is simply a result of venegance, fight against oppression or lack of alternatives.

Proposing a puppet as leader in a fraudulent election, being caught in the fraudulent act and than dismiss objections to the fraudster and install him anyway as leader, certainly won't win more hearts and minds.

Interesting report, star and flag for you.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Drunkenshrew]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenshrew
I don't think these numbers are exaggerated, or a short-term political ploy. The Afghan war is asymmetric. The majority of all people killed in modern wars are civilians. If this happens in a country with blood venegance, airstrikes and usage of killer drones in the night won't win sympathy. Every civilian who is killed has numerous relatives. Some will mourn in silence, some will become angry and some will become violent. Most of the violence is not religious inspired but is simply a result of venegance, fight against oppression or lack of alternatives.

Proposing a puppet as leader in a fraudulent election, being caught in the fraudulent act and than dismiss objections to the fraudster and install him anyway as leader, certainly won't win more hearts and minds.

Interesting report, star and flag for you.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Drunkenshrew]

Thanks man, I agree, if they had planned to turn every Afghani against them they probably couldn't have done a better job.

So I guess the numbers could be true.

I feel for the Afghan people, they were probably better off under the Taliban.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Large-scale guerilla-wars are always horrible for the civilians and are usually only fought, if the suppressed see no positive future and have no other options left. A critical analysis about guerilla-warfare was done by the war nerd.

The war nerd is fat guy, sitting the whole day before the computer or reading books. He has thought more and deeper about wars, than any person sane should. His cynical views may provide you with a more profound analyisis, than listening to the MSM military experts.
exiledonline.com...

new topics

top topics

join