It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least 7 Dead, 12 Wounded in Shooting at Ft. Hood in Texas

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thanks ANNED, this very good information, the leak will be found because this only confirm that the man did have problems and the military ignored them, some heads are going to roll for this one.

Interesting that he earned his medical degree paid by the military so he went into a military program for that.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
I am certain that there are suicides, but from my personal view, it's a small number relative to the overall number and size of our Military..

The Army suicide rate exceeds the general populace.

Suicide Toll Fuels Worry That Army Is Strained WSJ

The Army hit a grim milestone last year when the suicide rate exceeded that of the general population for the first time: 20.2 per 100,000 people in the military, compared with the civilian rate of 19.5 per 100,000. The Army's suicide rate was 12.7 per 100,000 in 2005, 15.3 in 2006 and 16.8 in 2007.

As for this Hasan character, it appears to he had a psychotic snap, which may indicate he was addicted to meth or go-pills.

The Army's rate exceeds the Civilian rate by .7 (Which is roughly equal) . Now, considering that there are 300,000,000 Americans (298,000,000 Non-MIL (Rounded) ), a rate of 19.5 per 100,000 means that there are nearly 60,000 Civilian Suicides a year in the U.S. (Avg.). The Army on the other hand has roughly 500,000 Personnel, and with a suicide rate of 20.2, that equals 100 Suicides annually. Also, out of the 100, you have varying reasons, which include but are not limited to common everyday issues such as Marriage and Domestic Disputes.

Now remember two things:

First of all, these are ARMY Stats, not the entire MIL. Second, despite the high strain and gruelling work often associated with vast portions of the job, the MIL has enjoyed an even lower Suicide rate than the general Civilian populace for the longest of times.

Out of everyone that I have known who committed suicide, all of them were Civilians.

However you look at it, these are still small numbers compared to the entire MIL force, and compared to the new recruits signing up each and everyday, it is minute. It does need to be dealt with, but it should not be completely blown out of proportion.

BTW: If people want to know how best to help prevent MIL suicides, they should simply support our men and women in the service. Everytime someone comes out with a stupid claim of "Rapists" and "Child Killers", they take one more step towards creating the negative and virulent atmosphere which leads towards such actions.

In regards to Major Hassan, he was already under Federal surveillance for blog postings which promoted suicide bombings.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

You're right, cops can't just run amok on military installations as they please. However, it's usually a given that the base commander allows a number of units to routinely patrol in tandem with MP/CID/DOD. If they didn't, there would be a tremendous hole in security awareness.

I was merely directing my statement to the question about LEOs operating on military installations, because they do, to some degree. There are specifics of course, but law enforcement cooperates with the military and DOD contractors.

Edit: To add- Because some people assumed that LEO's cannot or do not "at all". Most installations are surprisingly lax on security, and they are not filled with armed troops walking around everywhere, which is usually assumed by people with little experience around bases.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Highground

My friend, as a veteran that came home "weighing less than I used to", I can tell you that in the late 70's when I served, we all went to the cause "du jour" classes. e.g., drugs in the 70's, racial tension in the 60's, economic concerns in the 50's, etc'. Point here is the classes are widely regarded as a joke.
We all got along no matter what and when people did not, a consensus was formed, among the people involved, (God help if you brought in a zero) and the OFFENDER was removed.
It is not a function of the military to neither prepare you nor to fix you for how to deal with life in general, I hope your parents did that chore. It is the job of the military to get you ready to go.
We come back, on our own.
Going to classes that purport to give you "diversity training" have been regarded as a joke, in my experience.
We all knew each other and didn't care about anything you believed.
So long as you believed in the survival of the rest, and the rest of us could count on you.
This monster should have been drummed out years ago.

[edit on 11/5/2009 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Watch the interview I linked above and you will find this was a man who converted to Islam and has been getting more radical over time. The Army should have done something about him sooner.

Thanks for the video. I'm not certain how to interpret the fact that the shooters superior officer could possibly have sat back on this. Clearly, at least based on the Colonels story, this issue was completely avoidable. He made mention that politics are cast aside in the military. One would think with 2 wars underway, deeply rooted with political and religious stances, that the shooters comments would have warranted some intervention. Its odd that on one hand there's a constant reminder for people to remain vigilant and be wary of possible threats. While on the other hand the writing on the wall here was font size 5000 in bright orange. The military appears to have brought this incident upon themselves.

brill

[edit on 5-11-2009 by brill]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
any indication this guy was a jihadi in anyway or a sympathizer? it can just be coincedence that his name is Nadil Malik Hasan...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sergeant Stiletto
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Fine, then suppose it's Iranian backed and so it's off to war we go.

My main concern is that I can't see coordinated gunman on a military base in the heart of Texas not being a False Flag, but that just silly me, my tin-hat and my high heels.

As they say, "Never let a good crisis go to waste..."

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Sergeant Stiletto]

I work on post. The SRP site(Where this happened) is sandwiched between two controlled entry points with armed guards less than a half a mile away. It's actually quite easy to get on post with weapons. All it takes is to have a decal on your car(freely given with proof of insurance, a license, and registration, plus about a 2 hour wait)a license, and coming at a time when the front gate will be congested as to avoid random inspection. The local radio and eye witnesses also reported shootings at 4 other locations in the area. The radio also reported that the police and military were raiding an apartment in Killeen which is connected to Ft. Hood. None of this is being covered nationally.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Serious question for everyone if a Muslim converted to Christianity and within a short period of being a Christian attacked a Islamic Nation's military base?

Would that be Christianity causing him to do that?

I fear many people are playing into the hands here of manipulation.

Think about it.

I'm not playing in to any kind of manipulation, to be honest with you. I shave with the same old Occam's Razor that the majority of logical free-thinkers do.

To answer the question that you posit; no. As I do not think Islam is the core reason that a portion of it's followers terrorize through brutal displays of perverse violence. I merely think the "you're with us or against us" attitude that resides in all three of the holy books of Abrahamic lineage invokes the worst in some people.

Make sure you ring me the next time a member of the Temple of the Jedi or a card-carrying disciple of the Church of the SubGenius blow up an elementary school.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
any indication this guy was a jihadi in anyway or a sympathizer? it can just be coincedence that his name is Nadil Malik Hasan...

Yes if ATS had the ability to vote up important posts you would see the post that links to a video that speaks as to your question.

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I am nearly cross-eyed from the first 20 pages so forgive if someone posted the following link. It is pretty informative as to who this butcher was and his history from a person who knew him.

Link to video.

If I gathered right he was a convert to Islam who became more and more anti-American as time went on.

Horrible they did not deal with him before he went on a killing spree. Sounds like they dropped the ball on this one.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

I fully agree with your statement. These idiotic classes are nothing more than showing a video, answering a couple of common sense questions, and leaving. It's a complete waste of time when we could be doing some actual training.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by dwiggen
reply to post by Aggie Man

A fort is usually a temporary establishment (now it's just used in a nominal fashion), a post is just used for Army establishments (i.e. it's where soldiers "post" up before they deploy), and a base is used for Navy and Air Force (it's their "base" of operations where they strike out from).

Thank you. What about Camp (i.e., Camp Lejeune)

Marine Corps. Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, etc.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by twinmommy38

Most of us know that. Be careful when you assume. We don't equate these evil Terrorists with the Muslim Faith. Neither should the Muslims. They should condemn his actions immediately and publicly.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You guys should not go there. Your bias and prejudices are showing. Or should I say your hate is showing?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
OT post removed

Nice strawman there. Babylon =/= modern day Iraq. Babylon = Babylon, Iraq = Iraq. The bible doesn't say to destroy the land, just the government.

Back to the topic at hand, I have to say that I am not a "truther" at all for 9/11 - I think it pretty much happened like they said. In this case, however, my spidey sense is tingling.

[edit on Thu Nov 5 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Watch the video I linked on a previous page. It answers that.

Link

link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
BTW: If people want to know how best to help prevent MIL suicides, they should simply support our men and women in the service. Everytime someone comes out with a stupid claim of "Rapists" and "Child Killers", they take one more step towards creating the negative and virulent atmosphere which leads towards such actions.

That's a bit overextended. The military serves a purpose and like anything else is subject to praise and ridicule. There will always be those who criticize but to make blanket statements that those who voice their opinion, regardless of their beliefs, could cause a person to kill themselves, well that's absurd. If anything, and even by your own admission, these are top notch people who should be able to handle criticism better because of their training, discipline and mindset. The unfortunate part here is that sometimes the labels you stated are true.

brill

[edit on 5-11-2009 by brill]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I know many, many people who think Muslim=Terrorist. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

Most of my family members always say things like "I wonder how many are in that sleeper cell" every time we pass by a Mosque. It's sad really, because any time they see anyone of Arab descent, or anyone who LOOKS Arab, they start saying terrible things, and are then shocked when they person turns out to be the nicest person ever.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join