It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I forgot what brought me to ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This is to let everyone know what happened to me and what I plan to do about it.
I came to ATS while researching hollow earth theory.I was always interested in stuff like that, Bigfoot the paranormal,I read rule by secrecy in 2001,I am Interested in how the pyramids were built,I read Old World Secrets and the Omega project codes.
My point is I signed up for the vast array of non mainstream subjects offered here at ATS.And then as I started to avail myself of ATS I found myself being sucked in to the political forums.Well I looked at my ATS profile and realized it was almost entirely about politics and the amped up rhetoric that lies therein.

I have decided to try to stay away from the political forums for a while for two reasons
1;being fully absorbed in the political madness robs me of the other outstanding info offered here.
2;It is pointless,in all the time Iv'e been here (as a member and lurker) I have yet to see anyone's opinion swayed by anything anyone has posted so my assessment is it's pointless.
Now I'm not saying I will abstain totally but I will curtail the urge to ingage in the back and forth and personal attacks that are so prevalent on those threads.
That being said I still feel ATS is a valuable source of info (even on political issues)so I will still read but try not engage in the discourse.

Thank You G/I

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Nice start of a thread. I came here and posted in a JFK assassination forum.

I too for the most part stay away from posting in political discussions - Democrats vs. Republican due to the fact it is only a side show for TPTB. They play the show out front with Congress for the people while their 100 year, on going takeover of the US goes on unabated behind the scenes.

A vote at the ballot box hopefully holds more weight than a post here at ATs.

Political discussions on ATS have, at least in my mind, have deteriorated into unless partisan arguments between Dem and Rep's when the actual discussions should be focused at the puppet masters behind the scenes, which many are not even aware of.

I'm sure there are many like you on ATS that read political mud sligglings but I suggest you refrain and pay attention to member comments of (just to name 2 of many) ProfessorEmeritus and Dooper. They have different writing styles but I find their comments to be spot on and have said so. We have many excellent, informed posters on ATS, that I tend to lurk and not get my feet wet unnecessarily. Many here have it down pat and say so.

But if you find a thread you must post in, thoroughly research your material, jump in with both feet, learn how to grow a think skin, and give 'em hell Harry!!!.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Oldnslo]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I joined because of the Aliens/Ufo forum and I am there daily but I also strayed over to Ancient civilizations forum which is one of my favs
I barely visit the political forums. I read the main threads and look at the links myself, I dont participate because the few times I have, wow, I felt like I was in the wrong place and I was lost

I try not to get into any kind of argument with someone who is the total opposite of my beliefs because they will never agree and I wont change their minds. Many times in those forums people think they can and get upset when it doesnt happen.

I see you read the Omega book. I would love to read that! Is there a place to read in PDF form or do I need to buy it? My friend ordered it from I believe amazon and she never got it! She is still arguing with them over the charge. They say she didnt order it yet we both know she did. I was there when she did it and her bank statement shows it too..lol Its just a little weird and makes me want to get it even more.

Hollow Earth? Yeah that one I never really heard of (except for in movies) until I joined ATS. It's very interesting to read about IMO, as are all the topics not of the norm on here, for me at least.

Nice thread, I will flag it. I think there are others who have let the political madness get to them and forget why they came here

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I came here because of an alien encounter.

Got caught up in politics and world events,

I am not going to turn a blind eye, we need to keep investigating, but maybe that is pointless,

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I came here for the politics... And stayed for the T&C.

I think it's good, though, G/I, that you have realized this about yourself. Nasty political discussions are pretty seductive and it takes a lot of control to not get drawn into the nastiness. As you know, I sometimes do. I try to avoid it, though. I try to keep my head above the water.

See you around.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I too stay clear of the political forum. As a "outsider" to the issues its too maddening to read the slander and devision base soley and utterly on what political party you belong too.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I forgot what brought me to ATS

I agree, to an extent because I dislike the current brand of political dis-discourse as much as you. There are no more 'honorable opponents'... just those that are labeled and libeled for the greater glory of whomever the master happens to be at the moment.

We have become a nation of trained partisan gladiators to do the dirty work while those in the marbled halls of power look on in amusement at our spectacle.

Just recently, I bought a movie. I used my own money, paid tax on the purchase only to get home and find out that I could no longer FF through the previews. I was forced to watch what I did not want to see because the powers here have succeeded in making a private purchase, just a rental... that comes with that sales tax.

In politics, you have no choice. You will speak the slogans, obey and toe the line, regardless of whether your life is yours, or theirs.

We the People... of all nations, are losing control of this experiemnt.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by redoubt]

[edit on 5-11-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I came here for a mix of things, politics being one of them. Mostly because ATS fosters a conspiratorial bent to political discussion, which in my opinion is necessary for honest discourse.

I initially had high hopes, and for a time was satisfied of those hopes. However, around election time last year ATS took a drastic turn for the worse. I don't know if it's simply because of the election (I wasn't around in 2004), but it seems to still be going on even a year later. ATS seems like more and more of a mainstream political bicker-site every day I log on. 3/4 of the threads I see are about mainstream topics, often without any alternative views presented. Instead, they are usually either "right" or "left", and people engage in the mindless political rhetoric that accompanies such discussions.

I will admit, it seems to be limited to the American-centered threads, and I'm pretty sure we all know what the issue is. People in this country have, for the most part, foregone independent thought in favor of political partisanship. We don't care to look through the bs anymore, we get mired in it and it bleeds out into multiple posts, which become multiple threads, which in turn ruins this site.

I think the introduction of the political madness forum is a step in the right direction, so the rest of us can weed out those kinds of threads, but I think the problem is bigger. The folks who are attracted to those threads spill out into other areas of the site and spread their political idiocy like a plague. I don't know if there is truly a way to avoid it, but I don't like the direction the forums are heading in. ATS is really one of the few good places out there to discuss alternative topics, and currently those topics are overshadowed by the mindless masses who care more about their tax dollars than whether or not we are being visited, or if the US government is killing its own citizens for political gains, or if information, and by extension, intelligence is being actively suppressed in an effort to control the populace.

Actually, now that I think about it, has no one considered that maybe the "disinfo agents", presuming they exist, have come here to start all of these politically-charged threads to distract people from discussing more important things? It kind of ties into that last one...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Politics are truly pointless, specially when you know its nothing more than a illusion that the parties have different opinions. There is no democracy, there is no real choice. There is only A or B and both are useless.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Politics are truly pointless, specially when you know its nothing more than a illusion that the parties have different opinions. There is no democracy, there is no real choice. There is only A or B and both are useless.

Concise and to the point!

Bravo!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Genius/idiot you have learned a valuable life lesson.

Always watch where you put your feet or you might step in something that smells bad.

I can tell you from personal experience that politics is nasty.

The things I heard and saw while my father dedicated 30 years of his life to our country were enough to make my blood run cold.

Keep looking for Bigfoot because politics will never be a place for the faint of heart and as my father said when I asked him why the good men didn't run for office. He told me that a good man wants no part of politics.

I believe that has been proven every election.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
This is to let everyone know what happened to me and what I plan to do about it.
I came to ATS while researching hollow earth theory.I was always interested in stuff like that, Bigfoot the paranormal,I read rule by secrecy in 2001,I am Interested in how the pyramids were built,I read Old World Secrets and the Omega project codes.

Bigfoot...I am pretty sure that it is extraterrestrial equivelant to pulling over at a rest station on a road trip to let the dog out to go to the bathroom an play. For every bigfoot sighting there is a cloaked alien vessel with some little green guy at the door saying "here boy, c'mon, let's go!"

Seriously though...some very convincing evidence but on the other side nothing caught on trail cams that is solid and you would think that would have happened by now. I think that trail-cam pic from ?NJ? that the BFRO says is a juvenile BF is a bear with Mange..Cyptomundo, bfro, the gcbf site all good places to read reports

the Pyramids?..well I think they were built by people, not sure though and no one can rightly explain how they turn up all over the world...South America etc. I don't rule out some extra-terrestrial influence given the geography questions.

The O'Hare UFO sightings got me here to ATS. Holy cow, did the forum do a bang up job raking through and organizing the evidence.

It's nice to take the opportunity to post with you without the politics.

top topics

join