It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Obviously it would have to be a debate between two Yank members.

*grin*

I think in the last tournament there was a debate on teaching Intelligent Design in public schools -- between a German and a Brit. I'm pretty sure neither of them saw that one coming

But really, it's almost better to get a topic you haven't thought too much about. It challenges you to bring a new perspective into the argument. Like most of ATS, there's a US bias to the debate topics, but that can even play into the hands of a debater from somewhere else, because it gives them the opportunity to catch their opponent off guard with an "outside" view.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Make my entry into the ring Official. I'll jockey my schedule to participate.

This should be fun.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Chissler just a question! What happened to the old way of, voting for the best debate by using your stars , then in case of a tie the anonymous judges make a decision upon this.

Just wondering!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I agree that debating is very stimulating, but if the users will not listen, what is the point? I would like in on the debates, as long as it is a real debate about something that really matters. I may not seem the seasoned debater, but I have been here before. I have debated and got banned. Can a real debate happen when the opponent doesn't listen?

I am willing and able to commit a lot to this site. Give me a chance and listen. I will listen as well and promise to explain myself to the best of my ability.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sevard

The Debate Forum is very structured. Some of those were for fun but there are many on topics of relevance. Check out some of them.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR

Chissler just a question! What happened to the old way of, voting for the best debate by using your stars , then in case of a tie the anonymous judges make a decision upon this.

Just wondering!

Stars and flags are a good way to do things if we are all willing to keep the debate public. Sometimes the debate becomes so strong that the fight goes private.

If ATS decides they do not want open debate they will crush it. You then have to fight privatively. Sad but true. There is no open debate here when the site deems it necessary. Oh you can give it a lot too, but in the end they will make your stars and flags worthless.

The old way can work when we work for it. Debating this is not the answer. Just keep on keeping on.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sevard
Stars and flags are a good way to do things if we are all willing to keep the debate public. Sometimes the debate becomes so strong that the fight goes private.

If ATS decides they do not want open debate they will crush it. You then have to fight privatively. Sad but true. There is no open debate here when the site deems it necessary. Oh you can give it a lot too, but in the end they will make your stars and flags worthless.

The old way can work when we work for it. Debating this is not the answer. Just keep on keeping on.

Not on ATS. From the T&C:

2f.) Private Messages: You will not use the private messaging system (U2U) to send mass messages to multiple member accounts. All private messages are subject to these terms and conditions, violations will result in immediate account termination. You also agree that "U2Us" (Private Messages) are confidential. You will not post or publically display U2Us received from ATS staff or any other members, in any way, without the written permission of the author. The Owners, at their discretion, may review the content of your private (U2U) messages when, and only when, complaints are received from the recipient(s) of your messages.

If you wouldn't post it on the board it should be sent via u2u either.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It also says when a gag order is in place we are allowed to message users. It is not always spamming. If a user responds to something they should be able to respond back and you have granted us that. It is trying to be understood. There are always special circumstances in special cases. I want to debate it.

If we feel a ban is unjust why can't we debate it? The only tools left to us are U2Us that point. Why not let the users decide?

If a user does something you really don't like why not just simply ask them to stop? That may be all it takes.

You do not have to delete posts and accounts. Just ask. Just talk with them.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It was not an off topic post. It was a question. Can we debate the admin? What happens when the mods make it a private fight?

Why not debate it openly? It doesn't have to be on your shoulders anymore if the users gets to decide.

I was also serious about asking me to stop. Sometimes just asking for something changes a lot. It can be much more constructive than punishment.

This is not an off topic post. I am asking for answers for questions about the debates. That is all. There are some extra thoughts thrown in on this post but that is always expected. If we cannot say a little for ourselves we may as well have computers run the whole world without emotion.

I thought I could ask here....that is all.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Sevard]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sevard

You have a u2u.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

OMG!

Well said, lol

So dramatic,

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You know it's true, if you win a debate, you just start the stress process all over again, if you loose you go running to get a challenge match set up as soon as possible.

And waiting for a debate to be judged is the single longest period of time known to exist. As what seems like eons pass while you await anonymous judges to read your debate and render their verdict. Nothing else on ATS matters as long as the debate you finished remains undecided. You sit for hours, days, sometimes weeks refreshing the same screen over and over again, friends come over and want to talk to you, but you send them away knowing that at any moment that reply counter can go up by one indicating that your fate has been delivered. Meanwhile your plants all die, your pets run away, your job fires you. And you sit hopeless until the day of judgment arrives.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Oooooooooook

I cant say any of those things have ever happened to me, although I do tend not to post (which will make a lot of people very happy) when Im in debate mode.

Do you need a hug wuk?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Should I, or shouldn't I....

Hmmm...

(more importantly, have I got the time?....)

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

I cant say any of those things have ever happened to me ...

Well, you'd have to win a debate first I imagine.

Wait, it's all coming back to me now ...

Btw, I can't wait to see the debate between Intrepid and MS. Not only it should be a classic, but what a fantastic way to show us all how it's done.

My expectations "knob" is at 11!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Well, you'd have to win a debate first I imagine.

Ok a-hole

You know Im at one win and one loss, and I had the unfortunant task of defending scientiology against you (in round on might I add)...which Im happy to say that you still didnt make a clean sweep. It was a split decision 2-1 your favour

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I would like to participate. Thank you.

Nikiano

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Oooooooooook

Is my OCD showing?

Do you need a hug wuk?

No I'm ok.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think I've had my arm twisted.

At great risk to my sanity, and that of others....

I'm in.

And may whatever deity you believe in have mercy on my soul.....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join