It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So...maybe I am in.

Hat...ring...tossing.

I just hope the noobs don't come out of nowhere and thrash me a new one....

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
So...maybe I am in.

Hat...ring...tossing.

I just hope the noobs don't come out of nowhere and thrash me a new one....

OR, if you don't have time for a tournament, I know I don't, how about a challenge match of the 2 with the longest winning streaks?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Accepted.

I am ready on Wednesday.

Random topic, classic rules...and I don't promise a sympathy card after I trounce you...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ooo...nice.

I like what I'm seeing here..

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Oh, Trep...take note...

[edit on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:24:15 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Cool, it's on. Need a good topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

[edit on 9-11-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I'll see you on the battlegrounds. Chiss or Semp can set it up...Wednesday start date okay?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Cool, it's on. Need a good topic.

Can I please think of one.....

I owe Mem a difficult one after making me defend scientology

Grrrrr

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Obviously it would have to be a debate between two Yank members. I'm just thinking about subjects that I would be good at. Besides, part of the fun of the ATS debates is debating subjects that your not familiar with.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Obviously it would have to be a debate between two Yank members. I'm just thinking about subjects that I would be good at. Besides, part of the fun of the ATS debates is debating subjects that your not familiar with.

But when it comes to politics, someone will always have an advantage depending on what laws and political ideologies they are familair with. I wouldnt want to battle you on politics.....your pretty much a ME on that, lol

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ok I am suddenly terrified at the names in this competition now
I will reconsider...Hold my place, decision pending.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Ok I got a random topic that would work...

What are the solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

Intrepid will argue the Israeli position.

Memory Shock will argue the Palestinian position.

And just because it's you two, Intrepid must write as if he is Poe, and Memory Shock's position must be written in the style of Henry David Thoreau

[edit on 11/9/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Actually...I think I want to reconsider my debate with intrepid..

I don't want to make him cry...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Mem, see what i mean, your all tough n stuff, and posturing with big guns and night vision goggles and all things covert.

I tremble...

Zazz wont last 1 round...without being made to cry

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Mem, see what i mean, your all tough n stuff, and posturing with big guns and night vision goggles and all things covert.

I tremble...

Zazz wont last 1 round...without being made to cry

I think my tough exterior just cracked a little...

I approve of the anti posturing. They will never see you coming...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Shoot me a u2u with the details and I'll author it this evening.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I see my name in the top 16
I hope it stays there

I have always thought debating would be interesting. I just hope I dont get a topic I have no idea about!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have always thought debating would be interesting. I just hope I dont get a topic I have no idea about!

Oh but you will, you almost definitely will! Or you will be put on the side of a debate that is contrary to what you believe. That's where the fun begins.

Now you have to scramble and research a side of a debate that your unfamiliar with and or don't necessarily agree to.

Of course though, if your really opposed to the position your given, you can opt out too. You won't be penalized for not wanting to debate something that is against your core beliefs if the subject makes you too uncomfortable.

I once had to debate against abortion (I am pro choice) It was difficult to do. But I got through it and argued to the best of my ability the Pro Life side of the issue. I did loose, but I gave it a good effort.

It's part of the fun of debates. Getting a subject you have absolutely no clue about. Or a side of an issue that you don't agree with. You tend to learn a lot in these debates, and reading the work of others while they debate topics makes it an extraordinary part of the ATS experience.

What's also fun is the 24 hour posting rule. You put your post in, then it seems like within 20 milliseconds of hitting the reply button, your opponent has his response up with his rebuttal to all of your arguments. Now you have 24 hours from that post to put in your next reply.

So all day long your thinking about the debate, questioning yourself, writing, editing, scrutinizing your opponent's post for any edge you can get. Then you finalize your response, put the beautiful masterpiece of debating gold you just penned up, and hit the reply button, just to watch as your opponent was already ready with his reply and put it up right after you did.

Then the most diabolical thing happens, the debate is closed to go to the judges. For what seems like an eternity you wait, and wait, and wait. You re read the debate you had for or five times, marking in your head every single thing you did wrong and knowing the judges have all spotted those same mistakes. Then one day, you see your debate reply number go up by one. And you know the judgment is in.

With sweaty shaky palms you mouse over to the thread and click it, your heart pounding in your chest, biting your lip as you read the judgment as written by the moderator. Win, and it means that your stress is going to start all over, loose, and sometimes there is a feeling of freedom at the loss. You don't have to put yourself through the nightmare that is the organized ATS debate tourney, but you immediately run to this thread and ask for a challenge match.

It's then you realize that you have just become hopelessly addicted to debating here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I wish to politely and respectfully debate some of the house rules.

2nd line

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join