It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There are more things to consider than 32 members registering in order to expand it. With a tournament that large, it is nearly impossible to have enough judges without stretching them to the point of logging out and never coming back. Also, the number of forfeitures is almost guaranteed to skyrocket, which really undermines the tournament. (IMO)

I think 16 is our number, but the organizers of the tournament will speak at greater length and we'll decide.

As mentioned, that list was tentative and not in the proper order. Your name being listed merely indicted that I've accounted for you. Names in the "waiting list" may be shuffled in once we peak at your debating experience. Anyone curious of this list that I refer to, you can take a peak here.

And again, just because we have more than 16.. that should not deter you from putting your name forward. People drop off, log-out, never to be heard from again, or just lose interest. So put your name forward and follow this thread closely.

Every 2-3 days I'll post an updated list.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Weird....

How did I not end up in the top 16? Was it something I said?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
One question, what if you don't understand the topic posted. I read a couple and the topic titles I was like wha?

Again part of the fun

Im not sure really what happens if you dont understand it becuase I havent com across one I didnt. I would suggest that you take a little bit of time pondering it before u argue your point though, it would suck to typ eout an entire post only to realise you'ver argued the wrong thing

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Weird....

How did I not end up in the top 16? Was it something I said?

I think they realised that you were more a karaoke singer than a debater? Maybe you and Jackatmtn should have a kareoke off instead?

Kiddingz, you should be in by my count? after me number 11.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I had another idea to actually. Was thinking that the top 8 get a bye round, and the bottom 16 fight it out for a place, leaving 8 winners to take on the seasoned fighters (sort of like a wildcard round). This way more people get a shot at it, and have at least one debate under their belt to take on the more experienced debaters.

Its probably less of a workload for the mods this way, and will kind of show the ones which are dedicated to the tournmanet.

Just and idea

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Fine, I don't want in.

I'd rather sing karaoke anyway........where you at JackatMtn? Where's the mic?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

The cut off for the tournament is Sunday, November 15th 2009 @ 12:00AM PST.

Interesting...

I'm considering the possibility of signing up.
I need to figure out if I'll have the time needed to make the commitment.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Thanks buddy. Your all right in my book. I was just busting your balls anyway.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I must've missed the posting on the last debate. Can you provide a link to that debates thread?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Debates aren't just one thread, it's two members debating one topic. It's quite structured and no one but the two members can participate in the thread itself during the debate.

But check out the debates, they are all great work done by serious members. It takes a lot of work to go into one of these debates, but they are rewarding.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
SIGNING OUT

Sorry I wont be online much during Tournament-Time and am hereby signing-out. Someone who has more time should take my place.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I would like to register my interest in participating. I realise that the spots are probably already filled so I am registering my interest to be placed on the "Drop-out" list - if someone drops out I will happily consider taking their place.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
A subject I would love to debate in this tourney, is some part of the US, Constitution.

Man that would be an awesome debate.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I will not be able to afford the time needed due to work commitments that have just come up, thank you for considering me though.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would be interested in debating.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ah, what the heck ... I've been looking for a reason to reenter the ATS fray for a while now

Count me in.

A note to newcomers: there was a question in this thread about what to do if you don't understand the topic. My first suggestion is to make sure that you have read the whole topic and not just the title of the debate, as the debate titles often include puns and other plays on words. My second suggestion is to contact the debate moderator as has already been said, but I would also suggest cc'ing your opponent any communications that you have with the moderator. Unless something has changed, you can easily u2u more than one member by including multiple names in the "to:" field of the u2u, separated by commas. That way you'll make sure you and your opponent are on the same page and won't have to waste your first couple posts defining the topic.

Unless of course that's your strategy for winning

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
A subject I would love to debate in this tourney, is some part of the US, Constitution.

Man that would be an awesome debate.

That wouldnt be fair on us non-americans now would it

Frankly I dont care about the US constitution, so ner

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
What the heck ...

A little busy these days, but I've heard that this debating thing can be fun.

If there's space, and if you don't mind the poor skillz of a beginner, I'm happy to give it a try.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
If there's space, and if you don't mind the poor skillz of a beginner, I'm happy to give it a try.

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're certainly no beginner

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think I have the time this time around. If there is space. Sign me up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join