It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Chissler, or anyone else in command of the debate tourny, could you help me out please?

I'm struggling to understand the timings of posts on this forum. My opponent has posted his next post, thinking I had missed my 24hr period. But looking at the times on the post I'm not sure I have. I thought I had until around 6pm GMT to get it done? Has something gone wrong somewhere?

Can someone step in for me on this one?

Parallex.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
nonsense deleted.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yep that makes sense - sort of - but aren't we operating under the 24hrs from time of opponents reply scenario?

My opponents post appears to have been put up at 18:31 on the 19th of December. So I assumed I have until 18:31 on the 20th to get a reply in?

Para.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Parallex]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Correction:

His post was 19th December 7:31 AM.

Yours should have been 20th December 7:31 AM latest.

Whatukno played a quick-one on you.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I think something is up with the settings on my account on the board - I have just checked it, and it's set to some weird timezone, and it wont go to GMT. I think that's why the timings are screwed up.

Parallex.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

You can ask a DebateForumMod and Whatukno about this if you want. All I can see is that he posted 30 minutes after your deadline - which is sneaky, quick and something Ive done to my opponents in the past too

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

which is sneaky, quick and something Ive done to my opponents in the past too
Yea, I'm an evil bastard. Sorry

If Chissler oks it, I wouldn't mind you posting your closing.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Because of whatuknos kind offer you can arrange for a closing post with Chissler.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well...I missed Ian...

Torture season must be lulling...

Great tourney guys and I can't wait to see the rest...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Nah keep the star system in the debate forum . Such a system in the debate forum is of particular importance because it allows members to reward high quality posts without commenting in the specific thread .

Cheers xpert11.

The proble you have there is the type of people starring the posts though. Are you starring an opponent for making a good post, or are you starring a post because you like the person or starring an opponent becuase yo dislike one person?

That could seriously affect the outcome if judges base votes on stars

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thankyou Wukky, I will have to sort out posting my response in the morning, Christmas time is so ridiculously busy and I don't have access to the file with the transcript on it on this computer.

If you don't mind mate, I'd appreciate your further patience.

Kind Regards,

Para.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
schrodingers dog and I have I believe finished... It was fun

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
schrodingers dog and I have I believe finished... It was fun

Yes its always fun to play someone with dirty tactics

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Yes its always fun to play someone with dirty tactics

You've got to let it go Oz ...

It's been almost a year sine I beat you into intellectual submission!

Time to pick up the scarce remaining pieces of what was once considerable dignity,, get back on your feet, and attempt to assemble some semblance of a normal life.

I know it's hard, I know the memories are hard to bear, the nightmares hard to shake, the humiliation impossible to digest ... but it really is for your own good.

I would normally say use the trouncing as a learning opportunity but we both know that that is impossible, for so complete was your destruction.

I promise you that life as the smaller defeated man is possible ... I can't promise you that you will find peace in moving on, but you might have a chance at being a barely functional member of society.

It's time to go buddy.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
You've got to let it go Oz ...

It's been almost a year sine I beat you into intellectual submission!

It was a split decision poo bum, you didnt exactly destroy me

Time to pick up the scarce remaining pieces of what was once considerable dignity,, get back on your feet, and attempt to assemble some semblance of a normal life.

My dignity is intact, your head has just expanded

I know it's hard, I know the memories are hard to bear, the nightmares hard to shake, the humiliation impossible to digest ... but it really is for your own good.

Head expanding......expanding....

I would normally say use the trouncing as a learning opportunity but we both know that that is impossible, for so complete was your destruction.

Again it wasnt a trouncing, you won 2-1......again at least one person thought I was better, so ner

I promise you that life as the smaller defeated man is possible ... I can't promise you that you will find peace in moving on, but you might have a chance at being a barely functional member of society.

It's time to go buddy.

Smaller headed defeated man you mean. And Im not done with you yet....you little....errrr......poodle

By the way all those big words and complex sentences dont have effects on me as I dont understand them

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by xpert11
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Nah keep the star system in the debate forum . Such a system in the debate forum is of particular importance because it allows members to reward high quality posts without commenting in the specific thread .

Cheers xpert11.

The proble you have there is the type of people starring the posts though. Are you starring an opponent for making a good post, or are you starring a post because you like the person or starring an opponent becuase yo dislike one person?

That could seriously affect the outcome if judges base votes on stars

I think we have to trust that the members chosen to judge the debates can see past the stars to the arguments being made. And since the judges' reasoning is usually posted in the thread along with the decision, they have to be able to justify their decisions.

And debaters kind of have to grow a bit of a thick skin if they're going to have any fun around here. It's inevitable that people will star posts based on member popularity or assigned position, but if a debater can't deal with that they're going to have a hard time reading judgments too ...

I don't know. I wouldn't want to go back to the way it was a couple years back, when stars determined the winner directly. But I kind of like having them there now. At least it gives affirmation that someone is reading

Speaking of which, I'll have my next post up later this evening. Wormwood should be back at a computer tomorrow, and maybe we'll speed things up a bit after that. I'm not sure if we'll be wrapped up before Christmas Eve though, and if not I may have to request some extra time while Ian and I are traveling over the weekend.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

I think we have to trust that the members chosen to judge the debates can see past the stars to the arguments being made. And since the judges' reasoning is usually posted in the thread along with the decision, they have to be able to justify their decisions.

Agreed, but some of the newer judges might base a their choice on the number of stars in a closely fought debate, thats all. I think Skyfloating was the one that said that the number of stars is sometimes taking into account when he judges

And debaters kind of have to grow a bit of a thick skin if they're going to have any fun around here. It's inevitable that people will star posts based on member popularity or assigned position, but if a debater can't deal with that they're going to have a hard time reading judgments too ...

Oh I agree, same with threads as well, but i was kind of getting at them being used as a decision making tool rather than an member applause.

I'm not sure if we'll be wrapped up before Christmas Eve though, and if not I may have to request some extra time while Ian and I are traveling over the weekend.

Where is Ian anyway? I miss his animated Octopus avatar

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Mmm, doesn't sound like you're letting go at all ...

I am in your head!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Mmm, doesn't sound like you're letting go at all ...

I am in your head!

You wouldnt fit in my head......

All the lubrication in the world couldnt fix that issue

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Debates are not judged by stars. But with most judgements one sees why one post has many stars and another post does not - because one just thappens to be better than another. And thats the idea of a Tournament - competitive fun.

Nice anarchy debate with neformore btw - now THATS a difficult one to judge.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join