It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I didn't get one, I was waiting for it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Aw its ok, chissler, just glad I wasn't being slighted. *smiles*

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
We ended up with a few forfeitures in the first round, which was to be expected with so many new debaters, although we did manage to finish half of them. Of the four that I sent off to the judges, we have the results back on two of them.

Have a peak in the debate forum to find the results on two of these debates.

Congrats to the winners and looking forward to the 2nd round.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

We ended up with a few forfeitures in the first round, which was to be expected with so many new debaters, although we did manage to finish half of them. Of the four that I sent off to the judges, we have the results back on two of them.

Members need to understand that the Debate Forum is a special arena where you must step up your game in order to prove your point.

The event may come up when a participant must argue a side of a debate that they do not agree with. This can be challenging, but it is the point of the debate forum. It isn't what side is right or wrong, it is what side can prove their side better.

To illustrate this point I would like to turn the potential debaters to a Star Trek the Next Generation episode entitled The Measure Of A Man, in this episode, Riker must prove that Data is not alive, even though he believes otherwise.

Another example is the Star Trek Voyager episode Death Wish which is an interesting debate on the merits of suicide, and the right to euthanasia.

As fighters in a tournament we aren't always allowed the comfort of a position that we agree with or necessarily understand, which in my opinion is part of the fun of the debate tournament. It breaks you out of your comfort zone and exposes you to new ideas and new philosophies that you might never have considered before.

A true debate winner in my opinion is someone who can take a position they are completely against and win on those grounds. It is then you understand that it's not the subject of the debate, but how you debate it that is important in these tournaments.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I signed up for the debate not knowing it was running right in the middle of my open benefits enrollment at work and sadly I could not give the attention to the debate it deserved
I am more satisfied with my forfit though than a thrown together debate

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Oh man, I'm jonesing for the second round to begin.

I sure hope I don't get a debate on causality ... or reverse psychology.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I sure hope I don't get a debate on causality ... or reverse psychology.

Bull #!

That's like me saying "I hope I don't get anything political"

[edit on 12/4/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm putting together a list of the 2nd round topics and I'm much more excited about these ones than I was the first round. And I was really excited about the first round topics.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I'm putting together a list of the 2nd round topics and I'm much more excited about these ones than I was the first round. And I was really excited about the first round topics.

Woohoo!

I'm with SDog on topics for the next round. Please, keep us away from the metaphysical/philosophical/psychological end of things and solidly in the Politics arena!
Reverse psychology, what's that?

BTW, I was really impressed with the first round fights. Four forfeits isn't so bad, especially for a tournament that began Thanksgiving week. I think it's really hard to believe how much time and mental energy a debate takes until you're in the midst of it, trying desperately to learn all there is to know about a topic you've never even thought about before all in 24 hours.

And all four fights that went to the judges were good ones, I thought. I'm really impressed by the new fighters

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

And all four fights that went to the judges were good ones, I thought. I'm really impressed by the new fighters

Sure the fighters ... but how about those judges?

Imho the best, most intelligent, and astute judges on the internet ... and you can so tell how gorgeous they all are, you really can.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Mr Dog, will we need to place you on a post-ban in between debates to keep you from brown nosing? I'm trying to figure out where you end and our judges start?

(I like your style!)

With the holidays approaching, we'll determine when we take a short break. We'll get the 2nd round in and then decide if we wait until after the holidays to start the 3rd or run with it.

It's the participants decision to make so when we reach that point, I'll contact everyone and we'll make a decision.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hey does anyone know about what's going on with the waiting list? I don't mean to sound impatient or anything but I've been waiting to enter in the debates. I haven't gotten a chance yet. And I want to. I was wondering if anyone could let me know about that.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I sent you a u2u stating that you were accepted into the tournament. The u2u explained that you were entered and simply had to confirm your seat within 24-72 hours. The u2u was read and you never responded. So that seat was given to another member.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Any news about some brackets being created?

I'm happy to do the graphics work if need be. Would be interesting to follow.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hi Chissler - I'm wondering what's happened to the results of the last two debates.

I know that myself and Maxmars can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but still.... give me a heads up when the result is in - I want to know when I can change the battery in my thinking cap.

The Para.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
Hi Chissler - I'm wondering what's happened to the results of the last two debates.

I know that myself and Maxmars can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but still.... give me a heads up when the result is in - I want to know when I can change the battery in my thinking cap.

The Para.

Echo, echo, echo,

Hmmm, I think we tilted their thinking caps....

MM

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I didn't know that was an actual U2U from you. I just assumed it was an email from the regular ATS U2U bot so I didn't respond. I should have looked more carefully. I didn't know. Oh well, maybe next time...

[edit on 6-12-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Let's give them some time guys...

Even Judges like their weekends off...!!

Semper

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Results for another debate have been announced and I am currently waiting on the results of the last debate from one last judge.

Every debate so far, as is indicated in each thread, has been a unanimous decision for the winner. In our final debate that has yet to be announced, it is a split so far. One judge has awarded the debate to one participant, while another judge has felt that the other participant was the victor. So we've reached out to a third judge to weigh in on the debate and we'll have the results hopefully by tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join