It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fly Scientific explanation please ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I'm really very impressed with many of the intellectuals here on ATS. Scientists,
Biologists, Biochems and even students of the like.
However, I'm sort of challenging, definetly hoping for one of you to come up with
a solid explanation of the why, that is opposed to this question.

WHY IS IT POSSIBLE TO RESERECT A DEAD FLY.

This is not a joke.
The first thing you must be able to do of course is to aquire a fly WITH OUT
harming it. Try not to even damage the wings. so at the end of this thread I can make the claim
that" no flys were in any way hurt or disabled during the course of these experiments even though the fly died, this was only done with
the full knowledge of being able to bring the subject (the fly) back to it's life
as a fly". It's also a far better effect, if the fly goes on his merry way at the
end.
Once you have a subject, you will need a jar with a lid. Any size will do I guess, but
the size of a baby food jar would be ideal. All this does require a certain amount of expertise, in not harming the fly while catching and getting it into a jar full of water. That's right the jar must be filled with water. Well how else do you expect to kill the fly.

This is what you do catch a fly in your palm stick it under water in the sink. Oh
MY GOD FILL UP THE SINK FIRST! Once you have a fly unharmed in the water
take the jar and scoop up the fly filling the jar with water and cap the jar. This can be so much fun with coeds running around naked.
Drown the fly. keep the fly
under water by flipping the jar over and over until you are satisfied the fly is dead .
Dead from drowning. Usually 15 -20 minutes. Pour out the water and set fly in a
pitri dish (however you spell it) or on the counter in the kitchen.
Now cover up the fly with salt just enough to completly cover the fly. A little pile
on the fly to where you can no longer see the fly. NO, JUST COMMON TABLE SALT!
Just wait if you did not harm the fly, it will crawl out of the salt and fly away.
Any body explain this?

[edit on 5-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
no idea. its intriguing though.

off the top of my head i would have to guess 15-20 minutes isnt enough to actually KILL it, but put it in something like a coma or stand-by mode.

try drowning it over night and update us on your attempt at fly zombification.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I remember when I was a kid a rescued a christmas beetle (thats what we call them in SA - a small red/copper beetle that comes around christmas time) from the pool. It was not moving at all, looked very dead, so i just threw it on the pavement around the pool. After some more swimming I happend to look there again and saw the beetle was moving slowly, after a few more minutes he was up, flying, then gone.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I imagine the poster above is pretty spot on - the flys body shuts down when the breathing tubes get blocked up with water and appears dead. The salt then draws the water out of the spiracles and the fly "lives" again.
Not heard of doing it before though, cheers.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Just a guess:

The respiratory organs of insects are tracheae. The integument of all land insects is covered with a thin layer of wax (part of the epicuticle). This can also be found near the opening holes (spiracles) of those tracheae. My guess is, that small amounts of air, being hold back in the area next to the spiracles fuctions for a while as a physical gill. As long as oxygen can diffuse from the water into the trachea, the fly struggles. The flies you used are terrestric insects and their physical gill is only improvised compared to a water insect, so its tracheae will eventually fill with water.
The diffusion of oxygen is drastically reduced, the fly must reduce its metabolic rate. It becomes inactive. You can say it has become unconscious.

You than lie the fly into salt. Salt is a hygroscopic (water drawing) substance. It will draw some water out of the tracheae. Higher amounts of oxygen will again reach the nervous system and other organs the fly becomes active again.

Another guess: If you repeat the experiment with a longer submergence-time (let's say 12 hours), you won't be able to resurrect the fly.

Physical gill link:
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Drunkenshrew]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Do the exprement with 2 flies.

One you poured salt onto it. the other not.

Wait and see.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I thought I heard something before hat the fly goes into a coma on purpose to sruvive or something, then when it's safe it will wake up. I don't think it dies.

Or maybe it was a spider...not sure.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

This purposeful reduction of the metabolic rate, called dormancy, is quite common in the animal kingdom. Submergence is one trigger, which can induce this reduction. Spiders and insects can use this strategy to survive harsh times. Submergence triggered dormancy is found for example in some Amazonian terrestrial arthropods during a flooding. The reduced metabolic rate can last for a longer period, this happens for example during hibernation.

But it can also last for only a short period. Examples would be hummingbird or swifts, which can fall into a torpor when the night is cold or they are starving.

I believe, that the comatose condition of the fly was just due to lack of oxygen. If kept underwater much longer would have died.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Hummingbird in torpor
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Thank you for your response I wasn't really expecting to much but this is great. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before. All great feedback.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here's a video of the experiment, but without the naked coeds running around:

www.wonderhowto.com...

Drunkenshrew's guess is a pretty well informed one, I think that's what happens, it's just revived from dormancy, not death.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i dont know about killing fli's, but they can deffinitelly be placed in suspended animation - or frozen in other words... then when they defrost they come back to life,

funny enough, it was not a science show i seen this on, but a magic show kinda thing!

to add to the can they come back to life after salt water argument... i have to say no... i have salt water sitting in pans normaly before i cook something, and i cant tell you how many times a fly, (usualy a fruit fly) lands in the water and dies.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Nimrod

That's a good idea nimrod. thank you for the response.
thanks to all y'all. No problem for you guys.
My faith is not unfounded.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

How did you confirm that the fly was dead?
Just because it was not moving is not proof that it is dead, you'll need an EEG to monitor brain function. The fly goes through a metamorphosis stage in which it sort of hibernates, perhaps this is a form of hibernation that is innate in these insects. Of coarse the salt removes the water from inside his limp tiny body and so he wakes up.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Devino

How do you think?
Doctors arn't the only ones who can have a stethoscope. sheesh

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

reply to post by Devino

How do you think?
Doctors arn't the only ones who can have a stethoscope. sheesh

I was being funny but the question is a good one. How can you determine between the fly being dead and hibernating? I don't know if "hibernating" is the correct term or not.

I remember doing this project in school almost 30 years ago, I think the fly eventually did die though.

new topics

top topics

join