It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa Cat Gets Swine Flu; First Reported Case In A Feline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Iowa Cat Gets Swine Flu; First Reported Case In A Feline

www.huffingtonpost.com

DES MOINES, Iowa — A 13-year-old Iowa cat has been infected with swine flu, veterinary and federal officials said Wednesday, and it is believed to be the first case of the H1N1 virus in a feline.
The domestic shorthaired cat was treated last week at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames and has recovered, officials said. The virus also has been confirmed in two ferrets – one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska – but they died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.daylife.com

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I dont know enough about viruses to know whether or not it is common for a strain of one animal virus to spread to so many different species in such a short period. I hope this is normal but something tells me that most flu viruses do not mutate between species like this.

Starts in swine, mutates and infects humans, then it mutates again infecting cats. Will it mutate in cats and produce a strain that will infect another animal? Or will it mutate into a more deadly stain and re-infect humans next year.

Which is more scary, the virus or the vaccine? I really dont know what to believe anymore.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
That's... really odd! It makes the jump from livestock to humans because livestock are crammed tight together, and humans have lots of unsanitary contact with large numbers of infected animals.

But for (presumably) an infected person to pass it to a cat? That's wild.

Perhaps the cat caught it from a bird it had caught or something - it's more likely that it would make the species jump from an animal the cat was carryng in its mouth and fubbing its breathing-holes and eyes into than from casual pet-owner contact.

...Unless the cat's owner was one of those crazy ladies that give their cats lip-kisses. Ew.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
DAMN NATURE YOU SCARY!

Who says this is gonna be like A6 or Cap'n Trips from "The Stand"?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
DAMN NATURE YOU SCARY!

Yeah, this war that humons are waging against mother nature ain't going to well lately. Them pigs are sure kicking humon butt, eh?
I recommend you all surrender before it's too late. I can't wait for all the other species to join in the fight.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Not really surprising. When my girl gets sick with the flu or whatever, she takes the cat to bed with her and without fail, the cat will get sick a few days later.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
One day they'll manufacture a virus designed to make money for the pharma companies to pretend to save us with a fake vaccine , that will really kill us all off, every living thing will die.
They have NO IDEA what the future ramifications or forethought of what they do when they release these viruses, they are blinded by the dollar sign.
Now that this cat and 2 ferrets have / had swine flu goes to prove a point that viruses mutate beyond our control.
And one day it will come and bite them on their asses and we will be the ones to suffer.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Grant it, I am cynical but my first instinct after reading this was 'nonsense'.

You have to test for this (man-made) virus! Who brings their cat/pet in, who appears to have a cold, and asks for HIV----chicken pox---- or now.....H1N1? Nope! I am not buying this!

If my cat looked ill, I'd bring her to the vet, get some antibiotics and be on our merry way back home. It would never cross my mind to have him start testing for some designer-disease when the symptoms appeared to be merely a cold.
In fact, I never heard of a pet coming down with the flu either.

More propaganda fear to digest. That's all this is IMO

[edit on 5-11-2009 by TwoPhish]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TwoPhish

They mentioned this story on NPR today and spoke with a doctor. He said it is somewhat common for different flus to infect pets and that cats are particularly susceptible. He said that they can get H5N1(bird flu) from eating an infected bird. They also stated that the family that owned this cat had experienced H1N1 symptoms before the cat was sick but never mentioned whether or not they were actually tested to see if the family had H1N1. The cat was the only one that was tested and had H1N1, as far as i know.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Hey there, Sorry we already have a thread on this,

Please add your thoughts to the ongoing thread on this topic

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thread closed,

new topics

top topics

join