It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheats (Some questions and opinions)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
OK... I NEVER use cheats... EVER...

It’s just not my style... I see it as a kind of admittance that you are not very good at games if you use cheats.

Now... this is obviously just my personal opinion and I am sure that most of you have used cheats when playing single player games (i know most of my friends have) but what really annoys me is people who cheat, hack and/or use exploits when playing online games.

I used to do all my online gaming on the PC. Battlefield 1942 was one of my favourites.

However, in between the various patches there was various exploits, aimbots etc... That people would use to gain an advantage. I remember one in particular where people would somehow hide underneath buildings and shoot people. You could not see them and could not hit them with bullets or nades. So they would just sit there racking up their score.

I could never understand the point of this... It is no longer a game when you do this and it just disrupts the majority of honest gamers.

Anywho... Over time i experienced more and more cheats in various games. And it is one of the reasons i eventually purchased a game console (PS3)

You can imagine my shock when a friend informed me that people also use cheats on the PS3!!!!

As i said before, cheating is something i have never done and therefore i do not have any knowledge on how to cheat, nor do i want any. But can someone please verify for me if it is possible to cheat on consoles???

I regularly play COD World at War on the PS3 and have seen some players who seem to be almost clairvoyant or bullet proof. But i have always put this down to lag or the fact that they just happen to be very good.

Maybe i have been a bit naive... please someone tell me that consoles are a cheat free environment online!!!!!
I hate cheats... but i would also be interested in hearing from anyone who uses cheats online... i would like to ask why you use them?? And also if you realise that by using cheats you are not really a winner!!

I guess for me cheats ruin the essence of gaming... it takes away the fear of losing and therefore lessons the escapism factor. Like knowing the end of a book before you begin... hmm... anyway its late and I’m waffling...

Peace!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Dude! I understand and feel your pain! When it comes down to it, cheaters are really only cheating themselves. As if it had to come down to their own personal skill with a game they would not be all that great!
Cheaters cheat themselves of not only skill at said game, but in their own honor. Sure they rank up the points, and get instant satisfaction.
Yet those in game know they don't have the skill to kill with their own gaming skills! Such as in life, if you cheat on the test and make the grade, when it comes to doing it, you are left puzzled and not able to complete said tasks on your own ability.:shk:
I believe in game karma! Hehe now I know that sounds silly, but those cheaters who cheat their way to top has no real bragging rights.

Its one of the reasons I quit World of Warcraft. Why pay money for a game that another person can just hack into and rule the lands via a cheat code or hack. It really ruins and takes the fun out for those who want to play the game by the rules.

In another view point, I guess it could make sense to cheat at a game if A: you suck so bad you can't play it normally.
B: Just don't have the time to play the game out normally, so you have to rely on cheats or hacks to be worth anything.
C: Testing your skills of hacking, to make money in said video games, There is a BIG market for such things that can lead you to make $$$ off a video game, via being a pirate.

It really comes down to how you see the world.. Granted its only a video game.. So one man could cheat all video games, but be a good person in real life, and work 40+ hours a week, and just does not have time to play the game out. Point of view.. But yeah man.. I feel you, cheaters ruin it for everyone!

Now, I will admit, I have cheated and used cheat codes for so many games!
Yet all games I have cheated at, I have either beaten of my own accord. Or was just to damn hard, and I had to use the cheat. And sometimes I would cheat just to see what the game had! What all of its functions are when in God mode. However all these are done in single player games, I have never cheated on a video game that is multi-player, or was one you had to pay to play..
As I said, it ruins the fun in multi player games..
Single player games, thats a different story! Cheat away!! Hack the hacks and enjoy yourself. As hacks in its own way is fun when you are playing single player, old ROM's or outdated games you want to make a breeze!!

Cheats and hacks will sadly always be a part of video games.. No matter what you do, or what you say.. People will cheat and hack their way to the top. Just always remember, Its just a game my friend..
You are there to enjoy the time you have for such things.
If you are getting frustrated by such things, then you are like me.. And spending TO much time playing games.. hehe

Just don't take that the wrong way.. This is coming from a guy who would play video games 20-26 hours straight!!!
So yeah.. I feel your pain..

And just tell yourself, cheaters are only cheating themselves!

Peace! and happy Gaming !!!
Zy5

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I used to use cheats more when I was a kid, but even then I'd do it more just to learn how the game works, and I'd still always try to beat the games without cheats. Also, sometimes when I was really stressed out, I'd load up Doom, turn on god mode, and just blow the crap out of everything to blow some steam!

The only multiplayer game I ever cheated at was Diablo 1, and then only when on a LAN with like 1 other person; we'd dupe gold and stuff just to get started, or if we were fighting over who wanted some piece of sweet loot! Me and my sister used to play that game a lot, and we had several LAN characters, but we had two warriors that literally had the exact same gear because we duped stuff so we didn't have to fight over it.

Personally, I couldn't care if other people use cheats. One thing that bothers me, though, is when people will say something like 'hey I beat that game!' and then you find out they beat it on god mode, not legitimately, and they honestly think that counts. Even on multiplayer games, I don't really care that much as long as they don't interfere with my gaming. For instance, there's an old MUD I still play, and people there cheated to get gold and certain items and things, but it doesn't really affect my game experience, so I don't worry about it.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
Its one of the reasons I quit World of Warcraft. Why pay money for a game that another person can just hack into and rule the lands via a cheat code or hack. It really ruins and takes the fun out for those who want to play the game by the rules.

In another view point, I guess it could make sense to cheat at a game if A: you suck so bad you can't play it normally.
B: Just don't have the time to play the game out normally, so you have to rely on cheats or hacks to be worth anything.
C: Testing your skills of hacking, to make money in said video games, There is a BIG market for such things that can lead you to make $$$ off a video game, via being a pirate.

IMO, it's okay to cheat as long as your reason is you don't want to waste your time and life on such an evil game, lol!

Only exception is when PvP'ing I always play by the rules and don't mind losing to a match as I don't want to make other players curse me for cheating and make them feel very bad and angry.

I've played in Blizz server too, leveled to 70, solo, and got geared, no cheats, no help... It's fun at first but don't want to go with the same ordeal again. It's just not worth my time anymore

[edit on 18-11-2009 by ahnggk]

top topics

join