It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overdosing on Vitamin D, Have I been taking to much? Help!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Have I been taking too much vitamin D? SOO man sites state that over 2000iu a day will cause you problems in a matter of a couple of week, from over concentration of calcium in your blood. Is this true, I have been doing research but can’t find any correct facts. Even though no one has overdosed, it is still possible because of calcium build up. I have been taking around 2500 IU of vitamin daily for around 2 months now. Does anyone know if this is too much for someone who is healthy.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I have been on 1000 iu per day along with 500-1000mg of Vit C as well.

No real side affects to note except that... as the bottle noted, high doses of Vit C can cause diarrhea.

(More than you really needed to know lol)

[edit on 4-11-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don't know if this is true but a good friend of mine said that he got stones that he had to pass because of him taking calcium pills. It built up to the point to make stone in his system. He was taking the tablets to help recover from a broken clavicle he suffered a while back. But he was taking the same amount for about 4 months before that he started having problems.

Also I can not recall how much he was taking dose wise. What is the Calcium for anyway you could use a multivitamin to help if possible but I have heard that they could cause problems also nothing that I can personally verify though. Just speculations on the product.

You could ask a pharmacist or doctor at your local clinic for help to solve your problem.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I did alot of research on this as i am taking 5000 I/U a day and the research i have seen says no way. I AM NOT A DR. mind you what i read is as follows.

The average person can easily handle up to 10,000 I/U a day.
If you take upwards of 40,000 I/U per day "Long term" you could develope complications.
And that the recommended 1-2,000 per day is far below what we need. "I have a friend" really who takes 2k a day supplement and when he got his blood tested it showed he was deficient.

Maybe do what i did and Google video, Vitamin D overdose.

Again i am not a Dr. nor have i ever studied medicine but what i heard was that a VD OD was about as common as an H2O overdose.

Why do you think this?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by juste606

Well 1000 IU is normal. Supposivley anything over 2000 is to much and can casue problems, that is why I am wondering. I think i just might stay with the multivitamin.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

BTW i also take at least 1000 I/U a day of vitamin C.

2 line post

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

Is she diebetic,obese, or has any auto immune problems?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

No not at all, actually had it tested before he went to Africa to climb Kilamanjaro. Have no idea how to spell that mountain name.

Some of what made me question adult doses is that they say my 2.5 YO can have and suggested over the counter 1000 I/U. I way 4-5 times het amount. How would this translate? Really do google Vid. I did not start taking until i looked into the negative effect and they seemed alot less than "the shot". Mind you i am on 5k VD and 1k VC for 2 weeks now and have only seen positive benefits. So far.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

I am not a Dr. or anything special either but my levels are normal even though I don't drink any milk (just cant stand it even flavored).

My best friend has to take 2000 IU's every other day to kept his up to normal it all depends on the bodies reaction to the supplements. Just like pain medicine some people just need a little and some just need a lot to get rid of pain.

Off topic but my body is "immune" to tylenol product for some reason but I get floored by Ibuprofen and feel tired and woozy. I don't get that one bit even the doc says it should be that strong given it doesn't cause drowsiness. Sometime the body make fools out of everyone when we think we know it all. I have heard of people getting sick from regular vitamins and some people who take a ton and never get sick at all. What a weird species we are.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by juste606

Great point, i also forgot to ask whether or not the OP is in a sunny climate i.e. south of the equator or like me in perpetual cloudiness.

Just looked he's in Canada, worse sun than me.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by anotherdad]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Surprising. This is what I don’t get, sites say 2000IU a day is to much when other sites say you can take up to 10 000 IU a day. prob a multi vitamin a good enough. 3 of them a day, is around 800 IU of vitamin D, that should be enough as most people only get 200IU to 400IU a day. Vitamin D if fat soluble, so wouldn't that mean you don’t have to take it everyday because it’s stored in fat tissues?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

It concerns me you are thinking of upping your VD intake by taking more multi V, That does not sound like a good idea. Look at your multi V and add a VD supplement to it. Just VD, not more multi.

WE Need a DR. in here!!!

Maybe get a blood test would be the best start. Why are you trying to up your VD intake?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just keeping safe from swine, normal flu usally, cant get no more vitamin D from the sun, since its november now. I meant taking multi V without taking VD, then i would still have vitamin D3, but dont have to worry about any adverse side effects for long time use.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As juste606 said with the build up in the system and then passing the stones, I think that is the only thing you have to watch out for, I hear those stones can be very painful, as close to a guy can get to giving birth.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
here's some research my housemate dug out for me on the very same question. my GF had posed the same calcium question cos it affects dogs apparently. so here's some proper referenced research for ya:

Evidence from clinical trials shows, with a wide margin of confidence, that a prolonged intake of 10,000IU/d of vitamin D3 poses no risk of adverse effects for adults, even if this is added to a rather high physiologic background level of vitamin D.
Reinhold Vieth
The Risk of Additional Vitamin D
Vitamin D and Cancer Mini-Symposium 2009;19(7):441-45

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I agree with the above post.

While it's true that Vitamin D is fat soluble, it's still quite an effort to overdose on the vitamin.

Although, I am currently researching into the effects of Vitamin D at high levels, in regard to it's effects on the immune system.

Vitamin D is a steriod and, according to biochemists and researchers, may be immunosuppresive at high doses.

To be on the safe side, until I can find conclusive evidence, just get your vitamin D from the sun. You won't overdose that way.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I wish i could, but we all dont live in texas haha. No vitamin D from the sun untill may.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Why are you taking supplements?

If you eat a proper diet, you shouldn't have to.

Research a healthy diet, that will give you what you don't need to take by way of supplement.

It amazes me, how people think a pill can fill in for what they are willing to put into their diet, via foods.

Who told you to take this?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

do you know how much vitamin D from a healthy diet.....not close to 1000IU thats for sure. You prob get around 600IU most from a healthy diet a day.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Mayo Clinic for Vit D Toxicity

This is from the Mayo clinic the side effects from Vitamin D toxicity. Though I don't know how much it would take to cause toxicity for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join