It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Proofreaders & Typos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thank the Lord � and the proofreaders at Peachtree Editorial and Proofreading � that the Bible refers to "our ancestors" instead of "sour ancestors," and calls for an end to "factions" � not "fractions." The proofreading service caught those typos and others before the latest edition of the Holy Book went to press.

At Peachtree, attention to detail is more than a job description. It's a calling.

"Bible readers are less forgiving of errors because they expect perfection in the Bible text," said June Gunden, who founded the business along with her husband, Doug.

Peachtree Editorial and Proofreading Service is believed to be the only one of its kind in the nation � and one of only a few in the world � to specialize in proofreading Bibles.

"As many words as there are in the Bible, you can imagine all the kinds of things that could go wrong," said David R. Shepherd, publisher of the Holman Christian Standard Bible. "It would be devastating to have a typo in the wrong place or a word left out."

A list hangs in the Gundens' office as a reminder of just how much rides on their work. The list, a collection of notorious typos found in the Bible, features one prominent error from a 1631 King James edition: "Thou shalt commit adultery."

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040519/ap_on_re_us/bible_typos_1

"Thou shalt commit adultery" is just priceless. So how many times have things been changed before they had individuals that were experts in proof reading? It was copied over and over again by hand and translated over and over again for centuries.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A few days ago I was reading a website that explained that the way God formed the words and phrases of the bible made it possible for the original and true meaning of his Word to remain intact even through editing and manipulations of it by man. I really wish I could remember where I was reading this so that I could provide a link!

Remember, we are dealing with the Word of God here. Don't think it will go away just because some people may have done some editing. God makes sure of that.

I would not expect a person to fully understand this if they have never experienced the Holy Spirit within them.

What do the last few verses of Revelations say?

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Mountain Man]

new topics

join