It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

09 Exit Polls:Voters Wary of Economy, Obama Not a Factor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">ABC News Poll

Despite the almost desperate spin by Republicans on yesterdays elections. polls seem to indicate it was not a referendum on Obama. Congrats to Repubs on their Governors victories, but it seems a little premature to spin this as a thumbs down to Obama and a widespread desire to return to Republican rule.
Could it be as simple as people are voting for who they think is best rather than on partisan lines?
ABC NEWS POLL

[edit on 4-11-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a referendum on Obama. I think they're still willing to give him a chance, or at the very least, unwilling to admit a mistake. I will state that Obama is inviting that particular line of attack, however; he did campaign heavily for both Deeds and Corzine.

On the flip side of that, however, particularly in Virginia, the voters rejected the state Democratic party with losses by wide margins in three statewide races and the loss of seven seats in the House of Delegates. My completely unprovable theory is this: the voters, at least in Virginia, punished their state Democratic party as a proxy for what's happening both in their home state and nationally. You wouldn't expect a 20 point swing among the overall electorate and a 2-1 gap among independents just a year after major Democratic victories if there wasn't some serious dissatisfaction with the state of affairs nationally as well as locally. That happened in both NJ and VA. Remember, VA in particular, is in the DC media market. They get bombarded with national news and they get to see all of the BS from that cesspool first hand.

We'll see, I suppose.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
i think it is obama that is the deciding factor. him and everyone who swoons over him.

this coming from abc? could have guessed it without even looking.

of course theres a republican movement. all the republicans who are out working to pay for all the lazy people in america, now have to govern too!

just when you thought it was in decent hands... they go and screw up EVERYTHING!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Fair enough.
I don't think that "swing" is that unusual though. I live in California, a traditionally Dem state that went heavilly Obama, yet we have Arnold as a Repub governor. Granted Arnie's popularity is down the tubes, but he was elected twice. I'm thinking people vote less along party lines than what they see as individual merit.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Oh come on. Your rigged poll implication is too easy, and very predictable.
What about the idea of voting for individuals, not parties?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
As much as Obama-ites are declaring this election as not anything to do with Obama, the simple truth is that yes it is the economy that is driving people to vote, but they ARE voting for Republicans... not Democrats. Obama has to take some of this blame, and he'll have to take ownership of the economy by the next election...no more blaming Bush. If the economy doesnt turn around by then, there will be sweeping changes and we'll have the GOP to yell at and blame once again, lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I'm not going to say that it can't happen, but I do think its highly unusual.

As for Ahhhhnold, I think the reason he's managed a couple of election victories is due to his celebrity status. As that has faded over the years and political reality has set in, his approval ratings have suffered. The fact that he's atypical of most GOP government officials and isn't really a conservative has helped his political viability in the meantime.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Oh come on. Your rigged poll implication is too easy, and very predictable.
What about the idea of voting for individuals, not parties?

i never said anything about a rigged poll.

nor about voting over parties than individuals.

chances are, the individual is going to go with their party, and the party makes some distinction as to what their agenda is.

you could have attacked the point i made about republicans paying for everything, when obviously dems makes money too.

top topics

join