It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer Goods Made With Radioactive Metals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Go Green! Yeah right... They should be more concerned that we are more of an importer than an exporter. We are getting more and more products from over-seas and there should be someone looking over these products. Not hard to do... if they are not watching for this... what else could sneak through?

Source

(NaturalNews) A lack of regulatory oversight has led to massive quantities of radioactive metal entering the U.S. raw materials supply, meaning that many consumer products may expose users to dangerous levels of radiation, a Scripps Howard News Service investigation has found. In the past 11 years, scandals have emerged over radioactive metal in products including La-Z-Boy recliners, EKCO cheese graters, purses, tableware, fencing materials, shovel blades, elevators and airplanes. The cheese graters, laced with Cobalt-60, were giving off the equivalent of a chest X-ray's worth of radiation every 36 hours. According to the Scripps investigation, there are at least 500,000 radioactive metal objects outside of toxic waste dumps in the United States, and the amount of waste improperly disposed of may reach 20 million pounds. The situation has been created by poor regulation of radioactive metal, compounded by a complete lack of oversight. Although factories that use radioactive materials, such as in industrial smoke detectors or gauges, are required to house them in protective shells, these materials are often simply disposed of along with other metal scrap when a factory shuts down. The radioactive metal is then melted and mixed in with the larger supply of metal for manufacturing. Even when companies do discover that their metal supply is contaminated, it can cost them as much as $50 million to properly dispose of it. Instead, many simply hope that they will not be caught. Due to lack of state or federal oversight, they nearly never are. Making matters worse, metal dealers in China, India, the former Soviet bloc and parts of Africa have caught on to the fact that there is no agency responsible for screening metal imports for radioactivity, and vast quantities of radioactive metal are now being shipped into the country. "Nobody's going to know -- nobody -- how much has been melted into consumer goods," said Ray Turner of River Metals Recycling. "It's your worst nightmare."

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
omg!

good find!

i knew some about heavy metals being in children toys, but an actually radioactive chair is just TOO MUCH!

i need a giger counter now!

THANKS OP S&F

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
And they think i was crazy* I kida used to make fun of this, to mock imported stuff..aka hey guys! whts next..radioactive childs toys? People at work said i wa nuts. Glow in the dark barbie, complete with nuclear pyre playset.. BEcasue it dosnt take a genious to figure out, how sloppy the system is, and how unauthentic and unsafe things from china are, let alone thier all overpriced landfill material.
Just another good reason we shuold make and buy only MADE IN AMERICA!!! For sure, this radiocative problem would never have hppened in the entire hisotry of marketing, if so. That is unbelievable!!! that much radiation is emitted, also via the landfill!! sound like NASA could jsut fill thier spacecrafts now with radioactive landfill matter, instead of using plutonium. Sad day in america, when the NRC must be involved with each and every truck unloading lanfill...makes ya wonder WHY they really have stopped incinerating trash*

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
how do consumer products even become radioactive?

this surely cant be accident!

how on earth do you make a chair that is radioactive on accident?

are they building them in the super secure nuclear facilities? or are they dropping bombs next door to the factory? i mean seriously!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
the NWO means just that. WORLD. so as far as making things again? That is for other countries.

China is the money goons, we are just the ones that spend our money on their products to make everyone else rich.

it is as if they are using us to make everyone come to our level, and the ones that cant get left behind.

just my thoughts of course.

top topics

join