It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can alien giants exist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Ok so im curios about the possibilty of giant aliens, Lets say they find a planet the size of sirius and its just like earth but thousands of times larger, being a bigger planet is there a chance the life on there might aso be very very big, im talking 20ft, i know gravity would have a major role, but im wondering if its even possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I would think that this is possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Yes ..

The Can ...

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Perhaps we are not as large as we think we are...If time is relative, perhaps size is somehow relative as well....

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
OP: Your logic seems sound, I would agree with you.

But, on earth we HAD huge dinosaurs, nothing like that today. So If your theory that the size of the planet determines the life on it then that would lead me to think that earth used to be bigger? Terra papers anyone?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Anyting is possible. We hade giant reptiles here on earth before why not on a nother planet. I have also thought what if there is an advanced race of plant life out there in the cosmos.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
anything is possible
yes

close thread

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
you have it backwords the higher the gravity the smaller the life forms will be . thats why most larger life forms are in the ocean aka whales.
as for the dinos the ONLY reasion they were able to get so large as land animals is at the time earths atmospher was alot heaver and the oxegon content was almost twice as high at 35% compaired to the 20% we have now.
with such denser air and more avalable oxgen the animals and insects were able to grow MUCH MUCH larger then they can today as there bodys demanded more oxegan and it was there .
so there one of 3 ways life forms can grow to large proportions .
One the atsmopher of said planet is extreamly dense with large amounts of the main gas the life form prosses avalble.
two the life form lives in a liquid enevirment (oceans)
wich negates gravity effects)
or 3 the planet is smaller then earth say 2/3 the size (large enough to retain its air but small enough to have less gravity say 2/3 of earths .
then your giants could exciste .

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Definently possible but the question is would the planet contain enough sustenance to feed the amount fo mass of these beings. The reason i ask is because yes the dinosaurs were very large but they weren't very intelligent because their overall mass was to large to be supported by a large brain. I think it is possible obviously just as there are larger animals in the ocean because it takes up 75% of the earth then their are on land but the brain power to call them that intelligent is the question.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
During biblical times on Earth, people were 10-12 feet tall and had life expectancies of about 800 years.

So anything is possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

There is no reason why it would be impossible. In fact, we should expect it. As others have pointed out, Earth's history is populated with giant animals. But we don't have to look to the past for megafauna. The blue whale is the largest animal that has ever lived.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emerald The Paradigm
During biblical times on Earth, people were 10-12 feet tall and had life expectancies of about 800 years.

The preponderance of archeaological evidence suggests otherwise.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Absolutely possible I would think. What if WE are the giant aliens compared to what is out in space? It could happen, right?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
you have it backwords the higher the gravity the smaller the life forms will be . thats why most larger life forms are in the ocean aka whales.

You beat me to it. I was going to say exactly the same thing. In a higher gravity atmosphere, life forms would generally be lighter, but more compact and stronger in order to withstand the pressures. They would seem very strong on our planet. Think how far you could throw a rock on the moon. You could probably throw it into orbit.

I would say that there could be giant aliens out there though. We are giants compared to mice. I really don't think the size of the planet comes into it though.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Sense says...
Absolutely possible I would think. What if WE are the giant aliens compared to what is out in space? It could happen, right?

Again, very possible. Look at the life on Earth; while humans may not be the biggest animals on the planet, we are larger than most.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yes, it is possible. Our bone structure is based on Calcium, so gravity has a lot to do with how large something is. But if you're made up of heavier elements that are far more dense than sizes much larger than human are possible.

In the story "Superman" Krypton is a much more dense planet. Everything about the life there was based on heavy elements. When Superman was on the earth he seemed to have more strength and power, because we are all lighter based elements.

Now, take the Earthlike planet they found around the red star recently. It is five times the size of Earth. If life there were to take hold it would possess five Earth strengths or more depending on what the life form structure is based on. If it looked human and came to Earth it could be, possibly a 35 ft giant having five or more times the strength of any human man on Earth.

In the same way, intelligent life forms very small could also exist. Some asteroids that may seem to have no atmosphere may have a paper thin layer allowing for life to develop and advance, only on a smaller scale compared to us. Ships smaller than fleas could come here and explore and how would we even know it.

On Mars I believe this to be true and that life forms there may only be several inches tall making the atmosphere reliably stable for them, if they were to actually exist.

As we explore the universe, we should not discount any possibilities.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Ok so im curios about the possibilty of giant aliens, Lets say they find a planet the size of sirius and its just like earth but thousands of times larger, being a bigger planet is there a chance the life on there might aso be very very big, im talking 20ft, i know gravity would have a major role, but im wondering if its even possible.

A planet the size of Sirius with an Earth-like structure (I'm assuming that you mean iron core, rocky mantle and crust, with a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere and substantial water) would require a complete rewriting of every book on astrophysics, chemistry, and geology ever printed. Granting for the sake of argument that such a planet exists, you still won't see 20' humanoids on it.

Others in this thread have mentioned Biblical giants, the most famous of which would probably be Goliath of Gath (of "David and Goliath" fame). Goliath's height varied over time...the Dead Sea Scrolls manuscript of 1 Samuel gives his height as "four cubits and a span" (about six and a half feet tall). That's also the height given in Septuagint texts, and the height used by Josephus in the 1st Century AD (or CE, if you like). The Masoretic texts describe Goliath as "six cubits and a span" (about nine and a half feet). Either value would make him a giant during his era, where the average height was around five and a half feet. A more modern example of a 'giant' (and one who was, by all accounts, fairly physically active) would be Robert Wadlow, who stood eight feet, eleven inches tall. It should be noted that Wadlow required braces to walk. It should also be noted that neither Goliath (at his tallest attributed height) nor Wadlow was even halfway to the 20' mark, and that was in a 1g (9.8m/sec/sec) gravity field. In short, there's no Biblical or historical support for humans anywhere near the height you're wondering about.

The biggest problem with your 20' giants are the square-cube law. If you increase something's size by a factor of "x", its surface area will increase by a factor of "x squared", and its volume will increase by a factor of "x cubed". What does this imply for giants? Let's apply that law to Robert Wadlow, and watch what happens. Take his nine foot height (I'm rounding up for the sake of simplicity), and double it. Now you have an eighteen foot giant (still not up to the 20' mark, but close). His body surface area would be four times that of Mr. Wadlow, and his weight would be eight times Mr. Wadlow's 490 lbs...he'd tip the scales at just short of two tons. Hear that crackling noise? That's the sound of his hip joints, spine, and knees giving way, just from standing up. Please note that we're still assuming Earth-normal gravity. An Earth-like planet the size of Sirius would have several thousand times the gravity of our little blue ball...which means life anywhere above the unicellular stage is highly unlikely, to say the least.

It's too late to make a long story short, but I can summarize: Assuming such a freakish planet could exist, 20' humanoids wouldn't inhabit it...or, for that matter, any other planet that most of humanity would be comfortable on.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer

Originally posted by Haydn_17

A planet the size of Sirius with an Earth-like structure (I'm assuming that you mean iron core, rocky mantle and crust, with a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere and substantial water) would require a complete rewriting of every book on astrophysics, chemistry, and geology ever printed. Granting for the sake of argument that such a planet exists, you still won't see 20' humanoids on it.

Others in this thread have mentioned Biblical giants, the most famous of which would probably be Goliath of Gath (of "David and Goliath" fame). Goliath's height varied over time...the Dead Sea Scrolls manuscript of 1 Samuel gives his height as "four cubits and a span" (about six and a half feet tall). That's also the height given in Septuagint texts, and the height used by Josephus in the 1st Century AD (or CE, if you like). The Masoretic texts describe Goliath as "six cubits and a span" (about nine and a half feet). Either value would make him a giant during his era, where the average height was around five and a half feet. A more modern example of a 'giant' (and one who was, by all accounts, fairly physically active) would be Robert Wadlow, who stood eight feet, eleven inches tall. It should be noted that Wadlow required braces to walk. It should also be noted that neither Goliath (at his tallest attributed height) nor Wadlow was even halfway to the 20' mark, and that was in a 1g (9.8m/sec/sec) gravity field. In short, there's no Biblical or historical support for humans anywhere near the height you're wondering about.

The biggest problem with your 20' giants are the square-cube law. If you increase something's size by a factor of "x", its surface area will increase by a factor of "x squared", and its volume will increase by a factor of "x cubed". What does this imply for giants? Let's apply that law to Robert Wadlow, and watch what happens. Take his nine foot height (I'm rounding up for the sake of simplicity), and double it. Now you have an eighteen foot giant (still not up to the 20' mark, but close). His body surface area would be four times that of Mr. Wadlow, and his weight would be eight times Mr. Wadlow's 490 lbs...he'd tip the scales at just short of two tons. Hear that crackling noise? That's the sound of his hip joints, spine, and knees giving way, just from standing up. Please note that we're still assuming Earth-normal gravity. An Earth-like planet the size of Sirius would have several thousand times the gravity of our little blue ball...which means life anywhere above the unicellular stage is highly unlikely, to say the least.

It's too late to make a long story short, but I can summarize: Assuming such a freakish planet could exist, 20' humanoids wouldn't inhabit it...or, for that matter, any other planet that most of humanity would be comfortable on.

That would be true if you base what you're saying on what it is that we life forms consist of. However, if your bones are Iron based and not calcium based, and muscle tissue was similar to carbon fiber structure, well, all bets are off. You should consider the makup of the planet etc.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

That would be true if you base what you're saying on what it is that we life forms consist of. However, if your bones are Iron based and not calcium based, and muscle tissue was similar to carbon fiber structure, well, all bets are off. You should consider the makup of the planet etc.

I did. The original post posited an "Earth like world the size of Sirius", so I assumed an Earth-like biology (and did my best to ignore the implications of a planet that large regarding gravity).

Iron-based bones wouldn't work too well, by the way...iron is far too brittle to take the shock, unless your hypothetical giants can not only eat iron ores, break them down, and assimilate the iron, but also have an internal smelter to make it more steel-like. Carbon fiber won't work well for muscle tissue either...it doesn't contract the way muscle tissue does. You'd need to evolve some sort of motor and winch at each joint. At some point, we're into the realm of Battletech (tm), not Land of the Giants (tm).

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Another way to look at it, all the people and the world and universe may be in a pile of “dodo” somewhere else.

Tru

top topics

<<   2 >>

join