It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence That Universe Expansion is Accelerating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This has to be one of the strangest discoveries of our time. They call the anti-gravitational force "Dark Energy". Anyhow, its a really good article, but you need to fill out a subscription, relatively painless.

The results constitute striking confirmation of one of the weirdest discoveries of modern science: that the expansion of the universe seems to be accelerating, the galaxies flying apart faster and faster with time, under the influence of some antigravitational force. The work, astronomers said, opens up a powerful new way of investigating the nature of this "dark energy" and its effect on the destiny of the cosmos.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Can't read your link. Try this as it may be what you are refering too.

Chandra unlocking mystery of 'dark energy'

The Chandra Space Telescope has gathered further evidence the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, scientists at NASA and Britain's Institute of Astronomy announced Tuesday. The finding sheds new light on a force known as "dark energy."

"Dark energy is perhaps the biggest mystery in physics," said Steve Allen at the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, England.

According to scientists, dark energy is the force that fills the space between galaxies and drives them apart.

"The universe really is accelerating," Allen said. "By using Chandra to study galaxy clusters, we have obtained strong new evidence for dark energy and clear and direct confirmation that the expansion of our universe is accelerating."

The Chandra telescope took X-ray measurements from 26 clusters of galaxies ranging from 1 billion to 8 billion light years from Earth. Chandra's probe of dark energy relies on the X-ray observations to study the hot gas in galaxy clusters.

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This just blows my mind. When we think of galaxies flying through the deadness of space at amazing speed we think of the big bang or some other force that sent that object on its journey billions of years ago and because there is no resistance to impend its flight it simply maintained that speed. I read that this isn�t the case.

The space between the galaxies is the thing that propels it. The seemingly empty dead space between them is expanding thereby pushing these objects, exerting some type of force. An example: if you place three marbles on a lump of dough then cook it, the dough rises and the marbles spread apart. It makes me think that we haven�t even scratched the surface of our understanding of the universe.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You have to wonder if the gravitational forces of these universes help propel them and keep them in motion. It would make sense.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well, what I am wodnering is why the universe is expanding faster now? I mean a while ago it was slowing down. Now, it is speeding up... What caused that? Could it be that another BigBang happened and the light has not reached us yet? But, the cosmic forces are pushing against this universe and speeding us up now? hmmmm....

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't think it ever was slowing down, I think scientist's got it wrong at first and finally we have the proper instruments to accuretly mesure the rate of expansion now. Here is a link to an article in new scientist that may or may not offer more info on this wierd new force in nature.

new topics

top topics

join