It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The god complex.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Have you ever met someone who comes across so arrogant you know the conversation is over before it starts? These kind of people almost always refuse to acknowledge possibilities from a different perspective. It's their way, or the proverbial highway.

Lets see what the experts have say about the god complex.

A person who has a God complex does not necessarily believe he is God. It is believed by others, however, that he may as well believe it. As well as arrogance, other characteristics of such a personality are they are likely to be well educated and hold a powerful position. www.articleworld.org...

How does one acquire a god complex you may ask.

Childhood development

The roots of such a complex are usually to be found in childhood. There is a stage during early childhood when we are all of a narcissistic nature. We believe that we are all-important and our caretakers exist only to cater to our needs. Of course, this idea cannot last for long and it is inevitable that we are disillusioned at some point. This is known as primary narcissism.

Unfortunately, some children go through abuse and trauma at the hands of others and need to develop defense strategies to cope, one of which is to retreat inside themselves and find comfort and support from a reliable source which is often only available in themselves. This may lead to secondary or pathological narcissism in adolescence or adulthood which manifests itself in infatuation and obsession with oneself and a lack of empathy towards others. This is believed to be a cause of a God complex.
[edit]
Examples

Long after his death, Napoleon Bonaparte was said to have had a God complex. To succeed in his desire to reinvent the world, he caused suffering on a massive scale. The French Revolution and the French Enlightenment are also said to have been caused by those suffering from collective God complexes.
Retrieved from "http://www.articleworld.org/index.php/God_complex"

Others say this.

When someone is said to have a “God complex,” it means that he or she is extremely arrogant. The slang term is supposed to suggest that the person behaves as though he or she is God. People may use the term colloquially to refer to people who behave arrogantly and demonstrate little empathy and compassion for others, and also specifically to refer to people who have been diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). Whether someone actually has NPD or a simple God complex, there are ways to alter negative behavioral patterns to help that person function more successfully in societywww.wisegeek.com...

People in certain professions, such as surgery, are often accused of having a God complex. Individuals with a God complex tend to believe that they are the best at what they do, that they are entitled to special treatment, and that they deserve the best of everything. They may also behave with a high level of grandiosity or pretentiousness which draws attention to themselves, and they treat other people carelessly, using and exploiting them at will.

To be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder, the patient must meet with a mental health professional who can interview the patient and look for diagnostic criteria. All of the examples above are included in the diagnostic criteria for NPD, as is an appearance of an unemotional personality, the setting of unrealistic goals, and weak self esteem. Paradoxically, despite the way in which people with God complexes behave, they actually have very fragile and delicate self esteem, drawing their self esteem from the approval and attention of others. The sensitivity of people with NPD is often part of what drives them to behave so callously, because when they feel threatened or marginalized they may lash out.

It is usually difficult to get someone to recognize that he or she has a God complex, let alone NPD. People with God complexes generally feel threatened by the idea of psychotherapy, and they will not appreciate well-meaning suggestions from people who would like to help them. They interpret such suggestions as criticisms of their character which are designed to undermine them, rather than to support them.
www.wisegeek.com...

Ok. Lets break this down

1) When everyone is born, we are led to believe that we will be catered to for the rest of our lives.

That means every animal is born to think they are the center of the universe.

2) After a while we become disillusioned and recognize that is not the way.

We get older and realize every action has a consequence.

3) Abuse and trauma at the hands of others cause a defense mechanism to trigger
and causes one to reflect internally for comfort.

So far sounds like everyone I know.

4) This may lead to lack of empathy toward others and an obsession with yourself.

The word may is a speculative word. They did not learn lesson number 2 and
skipped straight to number 3, and for obvious reasons did not like
the fact that others would not cater to their needs. This in turn produced an
emotional response which triggered an offensive mechanism and causes one
to reflect internally for comfort.

Summation:

Its not from abuse or trauma at the hands of others that causes a God complex.
If that were true most people would suffer from it. The cause is from parents
who do not teach lesson number 2 to their children. They are use to getting
whatever they want, when they want it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and any replies or opinions is
appreciated.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by Conclusion]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
If you have any other reasoning for god complex please post your thoughts and reasoning as to why. Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
hmm i think the causes for just about any complex re not set in stone.

many paths can lead to one destination etc..

i can definitely see the abused person becoming overly defensive or offensive later in life as well as your theory probably can. i think part of it relies heavily on later periods of life, how people respond to their god complex.

i do like it when people who have a god complex can recognize it.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Yes I agree. It seems that experts, lol that word makes me laugh, suffer from a god complex. An this country is being ran by these so called experts.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Which one would you say would give more of a reason for a god complex scenario?

Someone who gets what they want, when they want it?

or

Someone who is criticized for what they lack?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
What I have seen in two different person who appeard to have a god complex, is that
the way they act towards others, the arrogance and all knowing attitude, is only there when they step out of their safe, private homes, or whenever they have to interact with strangers. Once you see these people interacting with their own familly or inside their own safe environment, they are as 'normal' as the rest of us.

So for those two people I'd say it is a defense mechanism they think they need to cope with the world.

I think in most cases the person feels insecure on certain aspects of their life or personal beying.

just a theory based on observation

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Very nice observation. If someone puts up a road block for their insecurities then they have no faith in themselves. I would say for a god complex to be real then it would be because the individual would be that way all the time. If they are not, then its just a lie and they know it. That implies no faith in their selves, where as a real god complex implies they have the a lot of faith in their self and none in others.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

That means every animal is born to think they are the center of the universe.

Just a thought, if quantum mechanics are indication that our expectations dictate our reality, could it not be that we are indeed the center of "our" universe ?

Just a thought

Nice thought provoking thread by the way S&F

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Wow. I do not know. Never thought of that. Star for you. Great observation.
You could be right.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

Wow. I do not know. Never thought of that. Star for you. Great observation.
You could be right.

Here's the kicker coming from me of all people lol. If I am by some miracle correct, then so was Jesus but the church didn't want anyone to know that.

"Did I not tell you ye are Gods?" (forgot who said that)

"Greater things than this shall ye do - --"

I have an ex wife that believes (but is not aware of it) that the world revolves around her lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I would say that someone who always gets their way is spoiled, but not necessarily narcissistic. In fact, some of the most spoiled people I know are complete socialites. I think that a God Complex is a more specific set of traits that are used as a defense mechanism to put a barrier between the person and those who they feel self-conscience around. Think about this for a second, usually the types of people who display this trait are people in fields that would have given them something of a nerd status when growing up, and they were probably ostracized through many of their developmental years.

Generally speaking, the popular athlete is not the type of person who goes on to become a famous brain surgeon, it’s the guy who could not play sports and took all the science classes. You know the guy I’m talking about, the one who always had to run the projector and be the lab assistant. So they never really learn to be comfortable around people, they never fully develop their ability to socially interact, and they fall back on their strengths in times of emotional duress (which to them might be as simple as being around new people who they feel are judging them). Their area of strength of course being more in the line of their mental aptitude, which comes off as arrogant and cold to others. Other people negatively react to that, and it becomes a worsening catch-22 cycle.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

That is true. And very funny about your ex...lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Very good point. Maybe the Knowledge equals power came for that line of thought.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Just from the responses so far, it would seem that this condition has various ways to come about. How many people, if any, does anyone know that has a form of this condition?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I don't have a God Complex, but damn I am so fantastic it's hard to believe I am not at least a cousin of Gods ...

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

S & F.

I believe that people with the God complex are damaged people.

I think they have the need to assert themselves because they were put down.

Other people who were put down go the opposite way.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I agree that it's definitely an early developmental issue... as are most things. Inevitably this will turn into a debate over nature and nurture... but IMHO, you can never take role models/guidance (or the lack there of) out of the equation.

I do have one question though. Are natural born leaders and God Complexes the same thing? Or are they different? If so, how would you define those differences?

IRM

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

I agree. lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

That can be the case. If someone is put down enough then they might excel in a field to prove their own worth. Good point.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Nice observation and great question.

Here is one mans concept of natural born leaders.

The myth of the natural-born leader would have us believe that leadership qualities are somehow bestowed at birth. Yet no doctor in a delivery room ever held up a new-born infant and exclaimed, "Well, looky here. We've got ourselves a natural born leader." The local paper doesn't report the birth of a seven pound six ounce leader yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon. The skills of leadership can only be learned through experience, and the decision to accept the role is personal.

In an increasingly competitive world, successful businesses need leaders, not managers, to handle the heat. Even so, an individual can't anoint him/herself a leader. Leadership is an honorary degree which can be bestowed only by those who are led. Top management can't appoint leaders any more than leaders can appoint themselves. The loyalty of those to be led must be earned through successful attitudes and behavior. Those who have been assigned to lead others, but lack the skills or motivation to do so, will forever remain mere managers.

Just as leadership can't be self appointed, neither is leadership scientific. Science requires hard evidence. Scientific facts are incontestable and empirically provable. It might be argued that the results of leadership are empirically provable. However, just what exactly caused the results is
always debatable and probably involves intangibles to one degree or another.

Since leadership involves people, a certain measure of inconsistency and unpredictability must be accepted. Human nature just isn't scientific. Knowing how to tap dance in tight spots can be a life-saving leadership technique. The great leaders resemble vaudevillians more than scientists.

Effectiveness as a leader is directly proportionate to effectiveness as a human being. Above all else, a leader is responsible for getting the best performance possible out of people. Regardless of how many people are involved, the leader is ultimately responsible. Quality of leadership is not determined by the urgency of size of the task to be accomplished. Some of the greatest leaders in business spend much of their time dealing with common details. What makes these people great is how they deal with ordinary details as well as major challenges. When searching for effective leaders, follow three steps.

1. Identify those who are willing to genuinely accept the challenges and responsibilities of leadership.

2. Identify who the people to be led will respect and willingly follow. It's not a popularity contest, but a nominated leader must be able to earn their respect.

3. Assess the leader's performance in real, non-scientific terms, understanding that people are not machines. Leaders must be merchants of hope.

Many people graduate from school intending to save the world by slaying a fire-breathing dragon. Once they discover how few dragons there are to slay, they must content themselves by campaigning against an occasional lizard. Nevertheless, the great ones fight lizards with tremendous style and vigor.
www.winstonbrill.com...

A lot of leaders down through history has been referred to as having a god complex. Hitler, Napoleon, ect.

It seems as if they were all bad people though.

Having is god complex is having the audacity to think that your way of doing things is the best way, always.

A great leader cares for the followers. Without them you will not be a leader. A great leader earns respect through his actions not his mouth. A great leader knows when to take council, understanding that his way is not always the best way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join