It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clashes reported at Iranian rally

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Star for you.
Most of the protesters are carrying out what THEY feel is right. View some of the videos. I don't see just "Students" but a wide cross section of the populous.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
there's an Ap story here...Iran opposition protesters return to streets
I especially like that part where it said

People chanted "Death to America" and walked over U.S. flags outside Washington's former embassy. Meanwhile, hundreds of opposition marchers in nearby Haft-e-Tir Square denounced President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with cries of "Death to the Dictator" and trampled a poster of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, witnesses said.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It will be interesting to see how this plays over the next few days.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
there isn't anything you could call real news coming out of Iran...
That is other than a few cell phone vids and twitters...

Just scanning my eye over those twits you can quickly pick out two distinct camps...

Peaceful Protesters clash with government
or Protesters hijack Government Rally...
looking at a master list of all recent twits both sides are posting an equal number... guess they learned their lesson with the rigged election?

Might be days before we find out what's really going on but something sure is

to show the contrast in reports this is the official state vid showing their version of the rally they even have a catchy howdy doody type song

Looks almost Mayberry RFD like...

But that is the State's Take other's have a different prospective

[edit on 4-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Not much on PressTV webpage
Thanks for the vids.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Alright Slayer, help me out here.

Why hasn't Mir Hossein Mousavi been arrested, killed or made an example of?

Seems to me he is involved in calling for some of these protests.

I would have anticipated that the leaders of Iran would have made an example out of him to help put a stop to any rallies.

Yet, he is still out and about.

Are these rallies being staged?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I think they realize there is a real division within Iran and knocking him off would seal their own fate.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I think Slayer called it right on this one...
Mousavi has a pretty big following... they risk Turing him into a martyr and we all know a dead Idolized martyr is one of those forces that no amount of reason can quell...

still Iran is so tight lipped about there own internal affairs we might not know what's happening until after we have a regime change, or all those mass graves are filled in

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
re: Mousavi
Per twitter: rumors he is under house-arrest (during rally only?) I wonder...

By targeting student and other protest organizers, the regime is actively trying to deter protests by making examples out of those who dare to criticize the govt. and those who are daring to do so are answering the call of Mousavi, to rise up and make their voices heard. The regime is arresting, torturing and sentencing some of these protesters to death. In doing so, the regime is still (even if it thinks it can't touch Mousavi) creating *martyrs* and continuing to fuel the fires of discontent. Each time a protester is made example of, the fires are fueled a little bit more. Information is passed out en masse, via such avenues like Twitter and FB and the next time Mousavi and his organizers call for a protest/rally it becomes that much larger.
It is odd that he hasn't had an accident, yet.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Iranians blame regime for hardship

Amid Wednesday's street protests marking the 30th anniversary of the takeover of the US embassy in Teheran by radical students, Iranians are voicing angry criticism of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the regime for exacerbating economic hardships in the country.
This photo, taken by an...

This photo, taken by an individual not employed by AP shows plainclothes Iranian security detaining a man during an anti-government protest, on the sidelines of state-sanctioned rallies to mark the 30th anniversary of the US Embassy takeover,
In telephone interviews from Teheran, several citizens accused the government of placing ever-heavier economic burdens on what one interviewee called "the shoulders of the hardworking masses."

"We have all suffered a great deal," said one Teherani who, like all those interviewed, insisted on anonymity. "Not only are we deprived politically" - a reference to the contested June presidential election results - "but now we are barely putting food on the table."

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
French Foreign Minister Calls Situation in Iran 'Dangerous'

PARIS — France is worried about the latest violence in Iran as well as Tehran's failure to reply to U.S.-backed proposals to export most of its enriched uranium for processing into fuel for a nuclear research reactor, French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said Wednesday.

Kouchner appeared impatient about Iran's reticence with regard to proposals to ease concerns over its nuclear program and firmly stated that Israel and the international community would never agree to allow Iran to have nuclear weapons.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Iran: Reporter Detained in Tehran

An Iranian reporter for Agence France-Presse was detained by the Iranian authorities during coverage of events observing the 30th anniversary of the takeover of the United States Embassy, the news agency said Thursday.

The agency’s acting bureau chief in Tehran said the reporter, Farhad Pouladi, left, was taken into custody Wednesday as he headed out to cover a state-sanctioned rally outside the former embassy. Not far from that rally, antigovernment protesters — still incensed over the presidential election in June — clashed with riot police officers in a counter demonstration. Iran has imposed wide-ranging restrictions on media that include bans on firsthand reporting of street demonstrations and other events not authorized by the authorities.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Slayer, thank you for keeping us up to date with this and for your thoughtful and erudite analysis of the events.

This is what makes ATS so bloody amazing

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Now this is what I call police brutality:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Did you notice the Government guy standing behind the cops with a hand held camera? He comes walking in from the right at or around :35
I would love to see his video recordings of the events.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Situation Update

Iran says over 100 people detained at anti-U.S. rally

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranian police detained more than 100 people for "disturbing public order" during a rally this week to mark the anniversary of the seizure of the U.S. embassy, the official IRNA news agency reported on Saturday.

Security forces clashed with supporters of Iran's opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi in Tehran on Wednesday when an annual state-organized rally marking the 30th anniversary of the storming of the U.S. embassy turned violent.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Yeah.

The most disturbing thing about that video is that the people getting beaten up just seem to be minding their own business, don't seem to be involved in any rallies or anything.

Do you think they're just going after anyone that looks affluent? Or, just random people to make everyone else afraid?

Is this what state terrorism is really about?

Do people who've watched this video still want this government to have nuclear weapons?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join