It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bored To Tears
Leave it up to the courts so that they can pass things that the majority doesn't agree with?

Let's go through some history.

Had slavery been put to a vote, black people would still be owned today.

Had racial equality been voted on, black people would still not be able to vote at all.

Had racial equality been voted on, then black people could not marry whites.

Had sexual equality been voted on, women would not be voting now.

Had sexual equality been voted on, women would still be "barefoot and pregnant" year round.

Oh, also, medical marijuana has been voted in by the majority of the people in California. Then why is it still technically illegal in that state?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

BTW what gives homosexuals the right to force their wants onto the entire population?

--Charles Marcello

Forgive me, but this is an odd statement considering what happened. While fine, the government should stay out of it- at the same exact time what right does one group have to push their beliefs on another.

So people think love between two consenting adults is 'icky' and horrifies some part of your psyche. Okay, well what gives how exactly does that give people the right to tell others that they aren't allowed to marry?

I think marriage is a ridiculous social construct (no matter the gender make up of the spouses), does that give me the right to say no one can marry? No, of course it doesn't.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Originally posted by Anesthesia

I think marriage is a ridiculous social construct (no matter the gender make up of the spouses), does that give me the right to say no one can marry? No, of course it doesn't.

It DOES however give us the right to demand that ABSOLUTELY none of our tax dollars are spent on this institution in Any way, shape, or form.

Prevention
Recruitment
"Rights"
Etc...

It needs to stay outside the realm of the publicly funded.

Marriage is a private affair, and should be treated as such.

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Leave it up to the courts so that they can pass things that the majority doesn't agree with?

Had racial equality been voted on, black people would still not be able to vote at all.

Had sexual equality been voted on, women would still be "barefoot and pregnant" year round.

Oh, also, medical marijuana has been voted in by the majority of the people in California. Then why is it still technically illegal in that state?

Drag up whatever you want, but the fact is that the minority still lost. You don't like it then I guess you and your ilk should campaign a little harder next time.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
When you say "Gay Marriage Rights" what you really mean, is the Privilege of having the government give you a tax break because of who you are being "Intimate" with.

When you say "marriage" what you really mean, is the Privilege of having the government give you a tax break because of who you are being "Intimate" with.

The government is not obligated to provide this supposed "Right" to anyone.

Exactly. So when do I get to vote on who you are able to "marry" and who you are not?

When do I get to vote on black rights? When do I get to vote on womens rights? When do I get to vote on YOUR rights?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Pardon my ignorance here but other than tax purposes what does government care if you're 'married' or not?

I'm sure you can find some justice of the peace or religious authority or whoever to say a few words and wave his hand. Then go have your name changed. Viola! You're 'married.' Just about anything else can be taken care of between the married couple and a lawyer with creative language. You can go around saying you're married all day long.

As far as I know govt wont come and arrest you for having a non-government sanctioned 'marriage.'

With the exception of the IRS nobody needs to know what you're doing or with who you're doing it.

I can take my significant other out in the middle of the woods and announce "we are married" and as long as we and our friends and family believe it it's true. Why give a priest or judge or town anymore money than you already do?

Even with the IRS I'm sure after a name change you can work around it using 'dependents' and 'shared expenses' and all that to get the same benefit as govt recognized 'marriage.'

The whole thing is a pointless farce. Rather than battle against stupidity you should just ignore it and do what you want to. Especially since no one is going to come and arrest you for it.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

These are nothing more than (your) opinions of what might have happened, and yet you try to state then as if they are facts.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Drag up whatever you want, but the fact is that the minority still lost.

And is exactly why putting basic human rights to a vote is the dumbest thing ever concieved.

And don't give me the crap about voting in Obama. That wasn't about human rights. That was our electorial process for deciding our new president.

You don't like it then I guess you and your ilk should campaign a little harder next time.

The point is that me and my ilk shouldn't have to ask you for permission to have the same rights as you.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

When you say "Gay Marriage Rights" what you really mean, is the Privilege of having the government give you a tax break because of who you are being "Intimate" with.

When you say "marriage" what you really mean, is the Privilege of having the government give you a tax break because of who you are being "Intimate" with.

Exactly. So when do I get to vote on who you are able to "marry" and who you are not?

When do I get to vote on black rights? When do I get to vote on womens rights? When do I get to vote on YOUR rights?

Simple, as soon as you draft the appropriate ballot measures and then get enough (legitimate) signatures to have your measures placed on the ballots for the states where you want the vote to take place.

Of course, with that you will also need to learn how to (graciously?) accept defeat if your measures do not prevail at any point in the legal process.

Oh, and you do understand that the idea of marriage being between a man an a woman predates our government - in fact all governments and religions by thousands of years. Just wanted to give you some idea of what you might be up against with your ballot measures.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

These are nothing more than (your) opinions of what might have happened, and yet you try to state then as if they are facts.

Well, then let's put it to a vote since we want to vote whether other people have equality or not. Put up or shut up. Let's vote on it.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You are missing the Point entirely.

Marriage should not be a legal institution.

Here... I have provided a Youtube clip of a comedian explaining this position PERFECTLY:

(NSFW Language)

As you can see... Arguing for "Gay Right to Marriage" is a complete contradiction of terms.

You are not arguing for any right that everyone does not already have.

You are arguing for the Federal Government to LEGISLATE your relationship.

That is not the government's Job, nor should it be.

A government that has the power to GRANT you the "Right" to marry, is a government that has the power to Take that "Right" away.

IF you want to be with someone for the rest of your life... then just DO IT.

Stop asking the government for permission, it is not theirs to give.

YOU have the RIGHT to not have to ask the government for permission to marry ANYONE.

Furthermore, you do NOT have the right to demand special consideration just because of your relationship status.

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

More whining from the losers.

You don't complain before the vote. You guys always welcome a vote and then get your panties in a bunch when it doesn't come out in your favor.

I'm done with you, I can't stand to associate myself with whiners.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Oh, and you do understand that the idea of marriage being between a man an a woman predates our government - in fact all governments and religions by thousands of years.

Really? Care to back up that statement?

And do you really want to return to the original definition of "marriage"?

For most of European history, marriage was more or less a business agreement between two families who arranged the marriages of their children. Romantic love, and even simple affection, were not considered essential.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Marriage should not be a legal institution.

I agree. That includes EVERYONE.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You don't complain before the vote. You guys always welcome a vote and then get your panties in a bunch when it doesn't come out in your favor.

Aside from the inflammatory way you put it, I think it begs a question. For all of those ridiculing the process by which this issue was decided, would you be so quick to do so had this vote turned in favor of the position you support?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well, then let's put it to a vote since we want to vote whether other people have equality or not. Put up or shut up. Let's vote on it.

It's your issue. So, you put up or shut up by starting a ballot measure. Then I and many others will be happy to no doubt quite handily defeat you at the polls.

[edit on 11/4/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Aside from the inflammatory way you put it, I think it begs a question. For all of those ridiculing the process by which this issue was decided, would you be so quick to do so had this vote turned in favor of the position you support?

"Panties in a bunch" is a figure of speech, has nothing to do with the gays.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

More whining from the losers.

How am I a loser?

1. I don't live in Maine so their laws don't affect me.

2. I don't want to be married so their laws don't affect me.

So, call me all the names you want to to feel better about yourself.

You don't complain before the vote.

I've been complaining about voting for people's rights way before this vote came out.

You guys always welcome a vote and then get your panties in a bunch when it doesn't come out in your favor.

I never welcomed a vote. BTW, I don't wear "panties". Maybe you should stop fantacising about me?

I'm done with you, I can't stand to associate myself with whiners.

Always the last refuge of one who has no argument to stand on.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It seems to me, since the majority of people in the US are against gay marriage we should either amend every state constitution and/or the federal constitution to ban gay marriage in this country permanently. Power to the People!

[edit on 4-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

LOL, I know. I was just trying to indicate that I wasn't intending to be as hostile to the poster you were originally responding to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join