It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by galatea

It doesn;t hurt anyone. My issues with it is if you redifine marriage everytime some minority group with enough clout comes along then marriage will basicallly become meaningless. It has always been thought of as an institution between a man and a woman.

Personally, I am all for some sort of federally recognized civil union that gives them shared benefits and all that. I just don't want marriage to become redifinable for every new sexual preference that comes down the pike.

No one is trying to redifine your personal interpretation of what marriage is. And it's not about giving marriage rights to any sexual preference that comes down the pike. It's about allowing any two adults who are attracted to the same sex to have equal legal rights. You and many others here seem to believe that "protecting" a word is more important than human beings having equal rights.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by joeofthemountain

GO AWAY. YOU WILL ALL SOON BE DEAD ANYWAY BECAUSE HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN EVOLUTIONARY DEAD-END. IN A WAY YOU DO US A FAVOR BY CLEANSING THE GENE POOL OF DEFECTIVE DNA.

THERE: NOT A SINGLE RELIGIOUS ARGUMENT.

DARWIN RULES AND SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST IS THE RULE OF NATURE. YOU ARE DEAD-ENDS. PERIOD.

Um, if homosexuality had only just appeared recently, one might wonder about its sustainability.

As its been around since the beginning of time, and is still here, well, I guess that shoots your theory.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

It is about sexual PREFERENCE.

Sorry, you are implying that at some point people who are gay made a choice and decided they preferred to be gay. That is simply not how it works. They did not choose to be gay any more than a black person chose to be black.

Saying they experience no discrimination is wrong. How many times have anti-gay marriage posters here made derogatory comments about even the way some gay people talk or walk? The discrimination is real, and pervasive.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bosko

You would get the same rights from a civil union. You actually could have the same rights now for the most part it would just take you drawing up a few legal documents first.. but I shouldn't get off track anymore than I have.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Saying they experience no discrimination is wrong. How many times have anti-gay marriage posters here made derogatory comments about even the way some gay people talk or walk? The discrimination is real, and pervasive.

Is it discrimination to make some coment/jokes about how someone walks or talks. Are you saying no one makes comments about how white or black or straight or gay or chinese, etc people talk?

Maybe the problem is oversensitivity and thin skin. It is not discrimination it is just part of everyone dicusing difference among groups. Most of the time it is in jest, but I think whatever gene is behind homosexuality also damages a persons sense of humor and makes them unable to take a little playground antics even when they are adults.

You don't see white guys running around crying discrimination everytime somebody says gay men dress better than straight men do you?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

Is it discrimination to make some coment/jokes about how someone walks or talks.

Its not discrimination until decisions about hiring or firing are based on those things, or decisions about whether or not you can live someplace are based on those things.

While some people may just make jokes, others do take it further and deny essentials and/or rights. Yah, we might not always have a sense of humour about this, but once burnt twice shy so to speak.

Once you've been burnt by someone making irrational judgments based on their perception of your sexuality you tend to be on the watch, and sometimes overreact.

Thats the rub. What we really want is just to be able to live our lives without always having to watch over our shoulder for who is going to judge you next, and possibly attack you for something you can do nothing about.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Thats the rub. What we really want is just to be able to live our lives without always having to watch over our shoulder for who is going to judge you next, and possibly attack you for something you can do nothing about.

Well redefining marriage won't solve that problem. Truth is you already have legal recourse if someone attacks you phyically or discriminates against you.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Gay marriage has nothing to do with the state or any person other than the two people who want to marry.

Anything else is you attempting to control another's life because of your beliefs. I don't believe in god but I don't try to stop you from going to church. How would you react if that was the case?

Anyone who is anti-gay marriage, really needs to step up and admit their homophobia.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Welll I respectfully disagree. Even straight people have to apply and receive a marriage license before they can be married.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by joeofthemountain
Are you homophiles kidding us???

YOU ARE THE ONES FORCING THIS ISSUE ON THE REST OF US.

Nobody forced this issue on you, who made you get up and vote?

YOU ARE SO SELFISH YOU FEEL THE NEED TO "MARRY" A CLONE OF YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU CANNOT TOLERATE THE OPPOSITE SEX.

No, we just want to marry the people we love. Your selfish for preventing than and not seeing through your own ignorance.

YOU ARE THE HEIGHT OF NARCISSISM AND YOUR IDIOTIC ATTEMPT TO FAKE A NORMAL MARRIAGE IS EITHER A BIG JOKE OR A DEMENTED ATTEMPT TO EXTORT EXTERNAL LEGITIMIZATION/VALIDATION OF A LIFE YOU KNOW TO BE INTRINSICALLY DISORDERED.

How exactly is being gay a disorder? We function like every other human being. Most people you can't even tell are gay unless you walked up to them and asked.

GO AWAY. YOU WILL ALL SOON BE DEAD ANYWAY BECAUSE HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN EVOLUTIONARY DEAD-END. IN A WAY YOU DO US A FAVOR BY CLEANSING THE GENE POOL OF DEFECTIVE DNA.

Homosexuality has been around as long as the human race has been around. So, sorry. We aren't going anywhere. And I'll see you in hell.

And homosexuals have kids to, sorry to bust your bubble, that shows exactly how much you DON'T know about homosexuals.

NOW GO FIND A CIRCLE JERK AND LEAVE US ALONE.

Your the one that came to this thread saying your opinion. So you leave us alone and quit disturbing the thread. I've heard all of this a million times before and you know what it means to me? Absolutely nothing.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Abuse? How about Walmart's discrimination against women's pay and management advances. Now that is real abuse in a legal workplace. I bet they have accidents in the workplace too.

That is one of the most stereotypical things i've heard on this thread by for, straights, gays, and lesbians all spread STD's. It knows no gender or sexuality. The chance doesn't matter, all that matters is that they are just as capable of spreading it. And unprotected sex spreads diseases. Alot of homosexuals have safe sex, just as many do as straight people. And don't pull out a survey or anything to show there is a higher prevalence of stds among homosexuals because you simply can calculate that, because no one knows how many homosexuals there are in the world, for the most part most are still in the closet, and I haven't had anyone doing a survey asking me if I was homosexual, did the count me when they came up with those figures?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

So now you are trying to say that if you shop at Walmart you risk AIDS and Herpes infection unless you wear a biological hazard suit? You are stretching things a bit.

NEWSFLASH!! Straight people get aids and herpes to!

I know, it's a shocker isn't it!!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Is it discrimination to make some coment/jokes about how someone walks or talks. Are you saying no one makes comments about how white or black or straight or gay or chinese, etc people talk?

Posters aren't put up all around the state pointing out these differences, So yeah I think it's different.

You don't see white guys running around crying discrimination everytime somebody says gay men dress better than straight men do you?

How is that offensive? Just about every straight guy i've met agrees with that statement, most come to me with fashion advice, and I live in Alabama where this gays are hardly accepted. But this is simply incomparable to posters being posted city and state wide pointing out the differences in gay, making fun of them.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't give a crap if gay people want to marry. God bless them if that what makes them happy. I wish them a good happy, healthy life. HOWEVER, to be honest, I don't want it promoted in schools for my future kids, and there is no reason to flaunt it all over. People should all have a right to do what they want but keep it to yourself. I don't want my kids being "swayed" to be gay and that is how I feel. That is not hate, it is my feelings.

I also don't want gay people or minorities getting into better colleges because of "affirmative action." I feel the same about blacks and every other sector of our country.

What happened to "equality." I really do look at all people equal. I have white, black, and spanish friends. What bothers me is when one group feels they need to validation, and then get special priveleges.

Lets all stop being so sensitive and move on with life. At the same time, all the people that want to bash gays and other groups need to move on and get a life as well and let people live their lives.

The government should have NO part in deciding these kind of rules without the people. End of story.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Tmd111]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tmd111

What if I want to be with a horse??? I want to marry that horse, it should be legal!!!!

Ok I was enjoying and agreeing with your thread up till here. Why did you feel the need to say that. There is a difference between two consenting adults getting married it's simply not comparable to bestiality.

I don't want my kids being "swayed" to be gay and that is how I feel. That is not hate, it is my feelings.

Sorry, You don't choose who to be attracted to or fall in love with, it's something that just happens. I didn't even know what gay was when I realized I was attracted to guys, I was 8 when I started looking at guys, I live out in the country in Alabama so I didn't know gay people and had never heard of him so no one turned me gay.

The government should have NO part in deciding these kind of rules without the people. End of story.

Why should the majority vote on something that is only going to effect the minority exclusively? I can't vote in a different citys mayor election because it doesn't effect me, that's the argument i'm making.

[edit on 11/8/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

What if I want to be with a horse??? I want to marry that horse, it should be legal!!!!

Ok I was enjoying and agreeing with your thread up till here. Why did you feel the need to say that. There is a difference between two consenting adults getting married it's simply not comparable to bestiality.

Why should the majority vote on something that is only going to effect the minority exclusively? I can't vote in a different citys mayor election because it doesn't effect me, that's the argument i'm making.

I agree my comment was not relevant and sounded hateful so I am removing it. I didn't realize the wau it looked.

With your second comment, I will eat my pride again I really didn't think before I made this post. I guess people are not swayed to feel emotions but I still think people should keep things private, straight or gay.

I would rather have the majority of people vote for the minority than the government vote for a minority. I honestly have no beef against a choice that the majority of American's decide, whether I like it or not.

All in all, I think the government should stay out. No matter whether people are gay, straight, whatever. If saddens me that the government wants to dictates peoples lives, but it also bothers me that people make such a big stink about things....Life is too short!

I honestly just want everybody to just go on and live their lives no matter what other people think.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Tmd111]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Trying to have a rational discussion about this is futile. The subject doesn't even merit a discussion. Oh yeah, I'm not the "Baby Boomer". Wake up people. (Sheeple)

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pilotdavems

That's your opinion and frankly it don't mean # to anybody but yourself.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

All in all, I think the government should stay out. No matter whether people are gay, straight, whatever. If saddens me that the government wants to dictates peoples lives, but it also bothers me that people make such a big stink about things....Life is too short!

I honestly just want everybody to just go on and live their lives no matter what other people think.

Do you have any clue how confusing and mixed your posts are?

Its like you say one thing politically correct - then reveal your true feelings.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pilotdavems
Trying to have a rational discussion about this is futile. The subject doesn't even merit a discussion. Oh yeah, I'm not the "Baby Boomer". Wake up people. (Sheeple)

Drivel

I agree the subject should not need to be discussed - - - as all people are Equal under Rights of being.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join