It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

So do you think two men should be able to get MARRIED in a church, with rings, dresses and afforded the same legal considerations as a regular marriage?

YOU personally - ???

Why not?

Is there a problem with that?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Lets keep the discussion about the topic of Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law and not each other.

I understand it is a volatile subject but lets try to maintain some civility.

Courtesy is Mandatory

Further Off Topic and posts about other members will be removed.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Very clever way to argue something from a different angle to hide the true motive.

yes, exactly. there is a very ugly monster hiding under the facade of the status quo.

as i said before, i myself am NOT for gay marriage. others on this thread have also expressed that notion, and i respect their viewpoint insofar as it is a rational argument. but i think the vast majority of anti-gay-marriage folks are motivated solely on irrational hatred. the bigotry MUST be defeated. it is for this reason alone that i would vote in support of gay-marriage, against my own better judgement.

death to bigotry.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

death to bigotry.

That phrase, and your mindset, is the very reason why Bigotry will thrive.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

i agree that anti-bigotry is itself a form of bigotry. a conundrum. but i insist that there is a way to rise above it.

my mindset, as stated before, is this: you leave me the hell alone, and i will return the favor.

i am not trying to tell ANYONE for ANY REASON how to think or behave. honestly, you will never find a more open-minded and less-bigoted guy than myself (and i am super nice and smart, too.)

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
reply to post by Annee

EQUAL RIGHTS - FOR EQUAL BENEFITS

Yes - there are different rights for married and single. That is fact.

So, you are saying, that we are all Equal, except for those who are married, who are in fact SUPERIOR and more deserving of rights than the rest of us?

Do you not see how this is discrimination?

-Edrick

I am not saying that - YOU are. Superior? Who is talking Superior besides you?

EQUAL RIGHT to marry has nothing to do with whatever benefits it affords.

(insurance benefits - survivor benefits - inheritance benefits)

Apparently - you have a personal issue - that you think you are getting shafted by being single.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well then, civil unions for gay people should be just fine then.

Since different levels of benefits are ok with you, and all.

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
you leave me the hell alone, and i will return the favor.

i am not trying to tell ANYONE for ANY REASON how to think or behave.

Well put.

The issue here is not gay marriage, the issue is the enforcement of a moral code. The regulation of marriage by a Central Government is the problem. The Central Government grants special privilages to a particular group in doing this, and in the process, excludes another.

The solution to this problem is not to add another regulatory action to the issuance of a marriage licsense(such as voting on the legality of homosexual marriage), the solution is to abolish the regulation entirely. Thus removing the Central Government's ability to enforce the moral code of a tyrannical majority on the minority, and destroying forever a pointless debate that never should have been had in the first place.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by aravoth]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

HEAR HEAR!

(Second line is full of secondy goodness)

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

-Edrick

You might start by reading what is said - - rather then twist it to fit your interpretation.

Equal Rights are about Equal Rights.

Back to Maine.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

Funny how everyone wants the government to stay out of our lives, but when things don't go the way we want them we want them to step in.

Funny thing, it wasn't your life the government was affecting by the original measure, it was gay people's. Now for sure, the government has stepped, and trounced on the lives of people who are gay.

But that is OK by you, because its them and not you. A tad hypocritical.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Ignoring what I said, and then calling me a spinster does not help your position.

Let me run the whole thread by you again... because I can see you are having trouble.

YOU:

EQUAL is EQUAL - - every citizen deserves the same equal rights. That includes minorities.

ME:

If we are all, as you say... EQUAL, then why are married people MORE equal than single people?

YOU:

EQUAL RIGHTS - FOR EQUAL BENEFITS

Yes - there are different rights for married and single. That is fact.

ME:

So, you are saying, that we are all Equal, except for those who are married, who are in fact SUPERIOR and more deserving of rights than the rest of us?

YOU:

ME:

Here is the problem, You are stating that Everyone deserves equal rights.

You AGREED that Married people have more rights than Single people.

And you think that EQUALITY is Giving these rights to Homosexual couples, but leaving single people out of the equation, with less rights than their married counterparts.... This is the definition of Inequality.

Therefore, your own position is Self defeating, and contradictory by your own admission.

I am not twisting your words.... I am QUOTING your words.

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janitor From Mars

This isn't about "winning" or "losing".

The rights of people should not be UP IN THE AIR FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO DECIDE!

What part of this is hard for you to grasp?

Of course its about winning. The reason its about winning is because I didn't see, hear or read about homosexuals and their posse griping that its going to be voted on.

Everything was fine until they lost the vote. When they lost we finally started hearing about it. Now that you lost the vote you say its not about winning its about others voting for same sex marriage and how that is wrong.

Guess what, it didn't show up on the ballot over night junior. If you and others thought it shouldn't be voted on then you shouldn't have waited until after the vote to whine about it being voted on.

What part of that can you not grasp?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yeah they were all pumped when they thought they were going to win because it was in one of the most Liberal states in the nation. As soon as reality had set in that they lost they couldn't scream out hate fast enough. It is like the little kid that throws a fit everytime he strikes out in kickball.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

Funny how everyone wants the government to stay out of our lives, but when things don't go the way we want them we want them to step in.

Funny thing, it wasn't your life the government was affecting by the original measure, it was gay people's. Now for sure, the government has stepped, and trounced on the lives of people who are gay.

But that is OK by you, because its them and not you. A tad hypocritical.

Yep thats me in a nutshell.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

-Edrick

Seperate but equal is not very equal.

Second line.

[edit on 11/4/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Here is the problem, You are stating that Everyone deserves equal rights.

You AGREED that Married people have more rights than Single people.

And you think that EQUALITY is Giving these rights to Homosexual couples, but leaving single people out of the equation, with less rights than their married counterparts.... This is the definition of Inequality.

Therefore, your own position is Self defeating, and contradictory by your own admission.

I am not twisting your words.... I am QUOTING your words.

-Edrick

Where did I say Married people have MORE rights then Single people?

Where did I say anything about leaving single people out of whatever equation.

Those are things YOU are saying.

EQUAL RIGHTS - stay single - get married - doesn't matter - - as long as everyone has that choice.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I cannot for the life of me understand why people would vote against gay marriage and take that opportunity away from another person...so the masses arent in favour of gay marriage? FINE! then the masses will not marry people of the same sex! if you dont like it...dont do it. but PLEASE do not take away that opportunity from another person. people need to live their own lives the way they want to. and STOP trying to tell other people how they can and can't run their lives. This whole thing is completely ridiculous. why is it that marriage between people of the same sex is such a bad thing? are you afraid that seeing 2 men (or 2 women) kissing or holding hands in public will make you uncomfortable and uneasy? well...then don't look at them! its really not that hard of a concept to understand. if you dont like the way something looks...STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO IT! Gay people are humans. ALL humans deserve to have the same rights. it doesnt matter what colour a persons skin is, where they came from, what sex they prefer, what they do in their spare time...none of that has any effect on whether or not someone is HUMAN. and all humans are equal. if you dont believe that...then please hurry to your grave. because the world is not going to move forward while you're still breathing.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
I guess the general populace just isn't ready to accept this yet. At least not until the Baby Boomers die off completely.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by sos37]

Maybe the gay people will die off if they try to breed with themselves. If they want more votes they should turn straight so they can reproduce. You see most the voters voting were the product of heterosexual behavior.

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by sos37

Can you prove scientifically that they are not?

Can you prove scientifically that there is no God? The burden of proof is on you to provide proof that a baby was born gay.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join