It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
either way there not going to stop gay people being gay so there just winning a losing battle

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
as a gay man, i can honestly say that y'all can keep your marriage. for me, it is ALL ABOUT being DIFFERENT. i dont want to be like you. TBH, your lives seem pretty awful and sad to me. i am reminded of a speech from the final episode of "Queer As Folk."

"...and what would be practical? to get married and move to the suburbs? become a home-loving, child-raising, god-fearing imitation heterosexual?

and for what? so that i can become another dead soul going to the mall and dropping my kids off at school and having barbeques in the backyard?!

oh ho. no. thats their death. not mine."

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

So does that mean we can count on you to vote down gay marriage? If so,

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

DP

[edit on 4-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The Government has no right to legislate marriage, either hertosexual, or homosexual, Period.

This arguement is a perfect example of the type of political jackassery going on in America today. Totally pointless......

[edit on 4-11-2009 by aravoth]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You can quote that to someone else. I'm not interested in that person's opinion or viewpoint.

EQUAL is EQUAL - - every citizen deserves the same equal rights. That includes minorities.

People evolve - society evolves. At one time soldiers took young boys to war with them to take care of their sexual needs. Multiple wives - concubines - etc.

I'm more then aware why this country leans toward Puritanical narrow mindedness.

Fortunately - that is changing - slowly but it is changing.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth
The Government has no right to legislate marriage, either hertosexual, or homosexual, Period.

This arguement is a perfect example of the type of jackassery going on in America today.

^^THIS * 1,000,000!

It's always good to have another who understands government on threads like these.

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick

Originally posted by aravoth

This arguement is a perfect example of the type of jackassery going on in America today.

^^THIS * 1,000,000!

It's always good to have another who understands government on threads like these.

-Edrick

Then why is there a problem?

To me its simple - EQUAL is EQUAL.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

EQUAL is EQUAL - - every citizen deserves the same equal rights. That includes minorities.

Except the rights that are reserved for married people, right?

Those are only for the Special "Privileged" class?

Gay people claiming they want the same benefits as married couples implies that married couples enjoy more rights than single people.

If we are all, as you say... EQUAL, then why are married people MORE equal than single people?

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Gay people claiming they want the same benefits as married couples implies that married couples enjoy more rights than single people.

If we are all, as you say... EQUAL, then why are married people MORE equal than single people?

-Edrick

EQUAL RIGHTS - FOR EQUAL BENEFITS

Yes - there are different rights for married and single. That is fact.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

EQUAL RIGHTS - FOR EQUAL BENEFITS

Yes - there are different rights for married and single. That is fact.

So, you are saying, that we are all Equal, except for those who are married, who are in fact SUPERIOR and more deserving of rights than the rest of us?

Do you not see how this is discrimination?

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Then why is there a problem?

To me its simple - EQUAL is EQUAL.

There is a problem becuase the government regulates who can be married, when they have no right to do so. An issue like this should never be brought to ballot.

As for equality, do not confuse being "created equal" with "ending up equal".

We might all come into this world butt-naked and screaming our asses off. But we arn't going out the same way. People are not equal, and it is a wonderful thing that we arn't. That is what makes our species strong, our differences, not our equalities.

The battle cry "all people should be treated as equals" is the lepers cry of an approaching fool, hell bent on mediocrity.

It is a good thing, to be exceptional. And that is what all people, regardless of whatever collectivist identifier is applied to them, should strive for, not equality.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by aravoth]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by tgidkp

So does that mean we can count on you to vote down gay marriage? If so,

SO Hot Sauce tell me human to human

what is your PERSONAL/Private problem with gay marriage?

Funny thing is I was raised by two women in a gay relationship back in the 80's-early 90's when it was a virtual CRIME... I was was teased to all hell and learned the true
meaning of friendship. Never once did it make me consider being gay, I like what I like
....you know...

I call one of my "moms" Manish Mother cause she reminds me of Clint Eastwood
(less the stubble)

I am a product of gay cohabitation and regular marriage (father+stepmother)

Believe it or not it was the conventional marriage and tons of abuse from a straight step mother that has taken its toll on my personality. I've been through some uniquely
cruel stuff, the gayness I was privy to was NOTHING compared to being mind $#@$
for the fun of it or being locked up in a closet without food or toilet...

Best part is my father and abusive stepmother tried to take me away from my mom because of her homosexual relationship

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

WEll my condolences for the abuse you suffered. I can relate. I had to divorce my crazy wfe because she was abusive to our kids.

I am agianst gay marriage, but not civil uniions. I am aganst gay marriage because if you begin to let marriage be redifined then it opens it up to any group who can get enough support to get inclusion, ala people in love with animals, people in love with children, polygamy etc..

And before one of you with rabit ears flips your nut, I am in no way saying that gay people are any more into animals or children or polygamy than straight people.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Except the rights that are reserved for married people, right?

Those are only for the Special "Privileged" class?

-Edrick

You two should get married...

So do you think two men should be able to get MARRIED in a church, with rings, dresses and afforded the same legal considerations as a regular marriage?

YOU personally - ???

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

i guess i am torn on the issue, because apperently i ought to be in support of my gay bretheren and their supposed "agenda". but i really am not.

on the other hand, i dont want the anti-homos to consider this as a "big win". for many people, this type of government action reinforces their bigotry.

why do people insist on mandating others' behavior through govt action? i say this: leave me the hell alone, and i will return the favor.

(btw, hotsauce, i have found your behavior in this thread to be less than savory.)

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
When one group of people, be they the majority or minority has separate rules and rights, then it is not equality under any sense of the word. When a man and a woman chooses to get married, there are certain rights and acknowledgments that go along with such, to include financial, medical and general powers of attorney. When wills are made, there is no question of legality or right of the surviving spouse. With those rights being denied to gay people, you are in short setting a class of people as second class citizens. Fair but equal under the law. If the country can not let them marry, then they should have the right to determine how their taxes are spent. After all according to the last census that was taken there was an estimated 4 million people who were out of the closet and were gay by definition. That is not including the bisexual and transgendered population either.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by HotSauce

why do people insist on mandating others' behavior through govt action?

If you notice the claim is it is not governments issue to decide -- "WE ARE AGAINST ACTION"

Ah, but it yields the same result and I suspect the desired one at that.

Very clever way to argue something from a different angle to hide the true motive.

I think hot sauce is more honest than some of these folks

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

When a man and a woman chooses to get married, there are certain rights and acknowledgments that go along with such, to include financial, medical and general powers of attorney.

Why should married people get rights that are denied to single people?

Does not this create a second class citizenry of single people?

-Edrick

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

If you notice the claim is it is not governments issue to decide -- "WE ARE AGAINST ACTION"

I keep trying to hammer this VERY SIMPLE CONCEPT into your head, but you are resisting knowledge WAY TOO MUCH.

*I* am not against government action.

I believe that the government SHOULD take action on this topic, and that ACTION should BE:

Remove ALL LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR MARRIAGE FOR ALL PEOPLE.

You know those "Rights" that gay people keep fighting for?

Yeah, those... I want those "Rights" removed from society.

-Edrick

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join