It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoffman concedes, Bill owens wins

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I stand by my choice of words, it was not a "clean" sweep.

That being said, yes the republicans did quite well, and this should give pause. The fact that the republicans weren't backing the republican candidate should be noted here. I was more surprised that owens won this seat to be truthful.

The most interesting take on it is how well the third party candidate did. I hope this inspires more third party candidates. Perhaps fiscal and moral conservatives can split, and define themselves more clearly.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I'm not really sure what to make of NY-23, given how the NY state GOP screwed it up from start to finish by selecting a candidate who ultimately went turncoat. I don't put much stock into the whole third party thing in this case, though. This was basically an odd instance of the GOP primary more or less playing itself out at the same time as the general election. Hoffman had earlier lobbied the state GOP leadership to be the nominee, but they picked Scozzafava instead.

Congratulations to Owens, but lets see if he can hang onto that seat next year.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by HotSauce

Yes I'm certain that all those dead people held up the lines.

No seriously what does acorn have to do with this?

Seriously, acorn has been involved in nationwide voter registration fraud. Where have you been?

And you have to understand that the dem only won because the RINO candidate dropped out and then threw her support behind her true party. She was. however, still on the ballot and siphoned off enough votes to hand the victory to the dem.

I think you'll see that events like this and acorn signing up dead people, felons and illegals will be just about the only way dems win in generally conservative areas such as this one in 2010.

Care to discuss the HUGE dem losses in VA and NJ? You know the ones obama personally campaigned for?

[edit on 11/4/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Care to discuss the HUGE dem losses in VA and NJ? You know the ones obama personally campaigned for?

I will

I think the lesson of those losses is that much of Obama's support last year was shallow and superficial. They elected a man much more than a set of policies or an ideology, and as a result, despite all of his campaigning in those two states for the party candidates, when Obama himself is not on the ballot, apparently they simply don't care.

On the other hand, if you look at the exit polling data for independents in these two races, they have to give the Democrats a bad case of indigestion this morning. You don't have a shift that large among independents away from the Democrats without some serious repercussions for the short term future, at the very least.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Actually Hoffman didn't lose altogether. In a few ways he won. He managed to oust a liberal republican who was really a closet democrat. That caused her to support the democrat (no brainer here). Even after the tag team of RINO repubs and liber democrats, added to an Obama year in a blue State, I would say, not bad... not bad at all...

Repubs will fear to run RINO's for office. People who vote repub will stay away from RINO's because they support the democrat agenda. And the message is still clear, we are not going to put up with it anymore.

Hoffman didn't really lose, the Repub high elite lost. The old boy backroom boys deal lost. Hoffman did well. No, he didn't win the election, but he has now clarified what conservatives want, and the Repub establishment is now listening.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yes I believe the polls showed a majority of people said Obama had no influence on their voting in their respective states. As stated above, Obama wasn't on the ballot.

Again...acorn...seriously?

Try to understand that voter registration fraud, is not the same as voter fraud. Acorn was required by law to turn in every registration it received, regardless of the obviously ludicrous dealings of private contractors. The law was broken by those who forged the forms, and they should be prosecuted.

You can register a million dead people to vote, but so far none of the dead have actually risen from their graves to cast ballots. Mickey mouse isn't casting. John doe from smalltown can't vote 40 times now matter how many times he is registered. He can only vote once.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
Yes I believe the polls showed a majority of people said Obama had no influence on their voting in their respective states. As stated above, Obama wasn't on the ballot.

I don't think its intentional, but in Virginia in particular, those people aren't being entirely truthful. Their major concerns were jobs, the economy, worries that government was overstepping its bounds, and concerns about cap-and-trade and healthcare reform.

What you're really seeing is the ages-old phenomenon of people being reluctant to admit that they were wrong. Instead, they took out their frustration on Deeds and the rest of the Virginia state Democrats last night. The final tally: The GOP took all three statewide elections at the top of the ballot and picked up seven seats in the state legislature.

You see the same thing in Obama's national poll numbers. His overall approval is running 10-15 points higher than on virtually every other major issue right now. The public is rejecting his policies, but they're not ready to admit that they may have blown it last year by voting for him.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Their major concerns were jobs, the economy, worries that government was overstepping its bounds, and concerns about cap-and-trade and healthcare reform.

This poll does not answer where they stand on the issues though. What if they think obama is just not effective enough?

Cap and trade is going to kill the democratic party, and if the baucus bill passes without a public option they may never recover.

The point I made, and you have also made and why I picked this particular race to start with; the parties are losing confidence. I see this race as a fine example of what happens when people think the party represents themselves and not the people. They see this on the democratic side now as they have the majorities in the three federal branches.

This give and take goes back and forth a lot in midterms, we'll see more republican wins in 2010, I'm certain of it. The level depends on how well the dems handle those key issues you've listed. So far they're not doing so well.

What I like about this race is the showing of the conservative candidate, and just how much of the vote he actually received.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Just had to add to your thread. It seems that the margin for the win is currently at 3000 and they are still looking at 10k absentee ballots. I wonder how many of those were filled out by Acorn.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Please seriously, and I ask this friendly. Would you go start a thread specifically on acorn, and we'll debate it then. It's become obvious there's things you need to get off your chest here.

And yes Hoffman had quite a turn out. Perhaps we're witnessing the rebirth of a true conservative party.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hoffman unconcedes on beck

I wanted to offer this update. Heard the recap on beck and searched, the huffington post was the only link I could find.

He says now he would like to unconcede given the numbers.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Now an update : Calling election stolen, Hoffman rescinds concession in New York

claims unions, acorn stole it

But by Thursday night, Hoffman's hopes appeared dashed. "It's over. Rep. Bill Owens, D-Plattsburgh, leads by 3,105 votes with 3,072 absentee ballots left to be counted," the Watertown Daily Times reported.

At the bottom of the article is a letter to his supporters.

edit: fixed link

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Seiko]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join