It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head Transplanting Experiments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Robert J. White is an American surgeon, best known for his head transplants on monkeys. (taken from wikipedia, let me post the rest of the wiki here)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ce71474f9ff.jpg[/atsimg]

the rest of the wikipedia:

"in the 1970s, after a long series of experiments, White performed a transplant of one monkey head onto the body of another monkey, although it lasted just a few days. These operations were continued and perfected to the point where the transplanted head could have survived indefinitely on its new body, though the animals were in fact euthanized. The problem with this operation is that since no one currently knows how to repair nerve damage which would arise when the spinal cord is severed during the head transplant process, the recipient would become paralyzed from the neck down.
The transplanted heads can see, think, feel, and taste and in short can function in all the ways that they could when attached to their original body, they simply cannot control their new one. The importance of head transplants is that if performed in humans they have the potential to save lives from almost any disease. Anything that afflicts the non-head regions of the body, be it otherwise inoperable non-brain cancer, multiple organ failure, heart disease, diabetes, etc will be removed if the head is transplanted to a non-afflicted body. If one is paralyzed already and has these illnesses, then nothing much would really change when the head is transplanted. If one is not paralyzed, then one would have to decide whether to live paralyzed until a cure for paralysis can be developed, or to die of one's affliction. The bodies could be obtained through organ donors as is already the case with heart, lung, and kidney transplants. See the articles titled whole-body transplant and head transplant for more information.
White has also pioneered now widely-accepted spinal cord and brain cooling techniques, which now allow for therapeutic procedures not previously possible. For 40 years, he was a neurological surgery professor for Case Western Reserve University medical school, but is now retired."

This is a soviet experiment (this particular one was not done by Dr. White)
After the experiments the test head (or the head planted onto the body) would wriggle and try to free itself from the other body, even bite the scientists and once made one of the host dogs yelp when it bit its ear.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09b964675b50.jpg[/atsimg]

I think this whole subject is pretty interesting, but only interesting because it disgusts me.
I love animals and its shocking anyone would do this to any living creature.
If you didn't read any of the above, head transplanting is possible and they actually have the test subjects live for quite some time.

I read somewhere that during the French war in Indochina that human prisoners were used as experiments in head transplanting. This is definitely worth researching some more but I just had to post this information now as I watch the videos myself.

More can be read (as well as the videos) at HERE

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

[edit on 3-11-2009 by The_Zomar]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
the experiments are pretty messed up.
but who knows, maybe they will learn how to keep people alive as heads in jars if their organs fail or something. (think Futurama) it would definitely allow for smaller homes to be considered acceptable my modern standards.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Unless there is brain dysfunction I would much prefer to have my brain transplanted into a clone of myself or a donor body.

Brain transplants not head transplants are the way to go.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

well that technology is a long way off and probably will be expensive. head in a jar would be a more economical and reasonable approach.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
ehhhh if the body is effed, I'd rather risk going through that big pineapple in the sky then live with a #ed up body. Do you know how long recovery would be if they could ever find a way to repair nerve damage? The only correct way to do that is by the body repairing itself, and any artificial way would be inferior and/or prone to potentially devastating errors. I don't trust computer technology to save my nervous system when it can't even save my operating system.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm very curious as to the fact whether any of the tests in the french war in indochina actually survived the tests.

join