It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons Learned. Best Advice Wanted for 18 year old son.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The law of attraction. I wouldn't delve too much into it in a book for an 18 year old guy, but simply put, the law of attraction states that "if you really want something and truly believe it's possible, you'll get it", but putting a lot of attention and thought onto something you don't want means you'll probably get that too.
Try to be positive instead of negative. For every situation that you could run into, try to find the good in it. Even if the bad outweighs the good, try to focus on the good anyway. There is no reason to always focus on the bad and negative things in life. Why be anti-war when you can be pro-peace? Why be anti-anything when you can be pro-the opposite?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
when it comes to decision making do whatever makes you excited.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Play nice. When all is said and done, your acts of kindness and forbearance are more important than anything else you'll do. Wealth, power, fame, all that stuff is nice if you can get it, but kindness is far more important and will be remembered much longer.

We're all on our last man, so take good care of yourself. Enjoy life, but don't make yourself sick over it. Take it easy on the treats and pleasures, so that you can live to enjoy them longer. Too much too often will burn you out and leave you empty, and might even break you. You have to last a lifetime.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, I turned 18 years old not too long ago, and I can say that if there was something I really wanted my dad to show me, it was how to properly treat a female. Luckily, I was shown it through other perspectives (not modern day Sony/MTV media) which helped me obtain a female I could really love and cherish. Obviously, you have been married so you know what it's like.

So my advice: make sure he knows how to properly treat a woman, that she is not an object, and that mating for life is a key belief to have when entering a relationship if you want the most success. Of course, all the other things people have mentioned is important too, but I would also stress the importance of post-secondary education. I know that I will when the time comes for my long-off children to go to school. Best of luck, and Happy Birthday to your son!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's easier to regret something that you have done, than to regret something you haven't done.

As I get older, I find that one to be especially true.

Do it now. Whatever it is, do it. The next 10 years are the prime of life. The prime can be extended, but after 30 the aches and pains start to creep in, the responsibilities start becoming more difficult to manage, and things like getting your mates together for a kayak trip in Viet Nam become harder and harder to get to. Or so unlikely as to be impossible.

You can't go back to some things. Now will never come again.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Oh, and remember this when old guys give you a word of advice:

They tell you because they didn't listen when they were young, and some old guy told them. And that guy was also told, and didn't listen. And so on, back through the mists of time.

I imagine an elderly group of Australopithecine men sitting around the cave grunting something to the effect of: "I'm telling you, girls like that are nothin' but trouble..." to a youngin...

Break the chain. Someone has to.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
1. There is no such thing in life as a shortcut. Everything has a price, and that price will be paid up front, as you go, or on the tail-end, but the full price will be paid.

2. The only things you get to take with you are those things you give away.

3. Someone is always watching. Even when you think there is no way anyone will see you goof off or do something wrong, it's always noted. Always noted. To do very well when you think no one is noticing, and will never be appreciated, is a mistake. Eventually, all the effort, all the good will, all the concentration, all the effort - will not only be noticed, but will bear fruit.

4. Once you have a goal, a specific goal, never - ever - take your eye off it. Though the currents threaten to sweep you away, you keep your eye firmly on the shore and keep paddling. Nothing is impossible to one who always knows exactly where he's headed.

5. To build yourself up most quickly, push others up in front of you. Help everyone around you, those above, those below, those you may think can never be benefited, or in turn benefit you. He who selflessly enables those around him will float right to the top. Even help the assholes.

6. He who is most empty is most complete. That which we think we need, anchors our advancement. The more obtained, the more fear, the more limitations, the more narrow the vision. Every thing we acquire is a burden. More things, more burdens. Less truly is more.

7. What you plant, you will get back multiples of. You plant corn, don't expect to harvest wheat. And don't expect to get back the same amount as you planted. You plant twenty bushels of seed, you'll harvest hundreds of bushels of exactly what you plant.

You will receive many multiples of what you plant. So take care that anger, envy, strife, jealousy, selfishness, bitterness, and harm are not planted each day. Ask yourself what you would like to harvest in multiples, and then plant that.

That which you exhibit to others, the manner in which you treat others, that is what will be returned in kind, and in multiples.

Took me decades to learn these things. I would never tell a young man these things if they weren't 100% accurate, time-tested, by millions of people.

But it seems only a few each decade know them.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by dooper]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Choose your friends very very carefully... That's what I would advice.

Most people will turn you into just another happy drone of this society so be very careful!

Originally posted by dooper
1. There is no such thing in life as a shortcut. Everything has a price, and that price will be paid up front, as you go, or on the tail-end, but the full price will be paid.

There is because a lot of things in life are meaningless... Of course, you can also learn from other's experiences

Not that I disagree with you... Sometimes experience is the best teacher too!

[edit on 4-11-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver tongue devil
Be nice.

Be nice. Not a nice guy. Ever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join