It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NKorea claims to expand arsenal of atomic bombs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

NKorea claims to expand arsenal of atomic bombs

www.breitbart.com

Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency said North Korea had finished reprocessing 8,000 spent nuclear fuel rods, which experts say would provide enough weapons-grade plutonium for at least one more nuclear bomb.

The claim may not mean much, since North Korea is believed to already have enough weaponized plutonium for half a dozen nuclear weapons.
"North Korea is trying to show off its nuclear might as a way to pressure the United States to agree to the talks," said Kim Yong-hyun.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thenational.ae

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea "Building Atomic Warhead"

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Anything to bring the Obama Administration back to the bargaining table! Every time North Korea has negotiated with Bill Clinton, they have won big concessions. Kim Jong Il probably he can do even better with Hillary!

"North Korea has long sought direct nuclear negotiations with the U.S., believing that it is the easiest, fastest and surefire way of ensuring the survival of the totalitarian regime and win economic concessions to rebuild its moribund economy."

"North Korea is pressuring the United States to decide quickly whether it wants to resolve the standoff through bilateral talks or allow the (plutonium) to be used for atomic weapons," North Korea expert Koh Yu-hwan of Dongguk University said.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What do you do with N.K. these days??

We can't fight them, they've been digging in for decades and will use a nuke at the first opportunity.

They seem to know this as they now brodcast when they are building their nukes lol.

Good find OP!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

What do you do with N.K. these days?? We can't fight them, they've been digging in for decades and will use a nuke at the first opportunity.

To be sure we don't need to fight them unless they attack the US or their neighbors! The US and the world wins when North Korea is left to its own slow demise because of it policies and governmental greed. It already is armed to the teeth and has several nuclear devices plus the means to deliver them. What is to negotiate?

This sounds more like a good reason not to negotiate:

"North Korea has long sought direct nuclear negotiations with the U.S., believing that it is the easiest, fastest and surefire way of ensuring the survival of the totalitarian regime and win economic concessions to rebuild its moribund economy."

Kim Jong is playing with the world trying to scare its enemies to the table!
North Korea vs South Korea:

[edit on 3/11/09 by plumranch]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Lets play pretend for one minute. Since my knowledge of nuclear weapons isn't as good as my web building and drumming knowledge.

If NK were to use a nuclear war head, lets say directed at us, would we be able to react in time by intercepting it?! Some kind of nuclear scud?

Or do we just retaliate and we both suffer a huge hit?!

I ask, since I sincerely don't know. I'm curious.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by keepureye2thesky]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Little Kimmy can set off one of his nukes if he's having another tantrum but 5 minutes later, North Korea won't exist.

It's called retaliation and he's very stupid if he thinks he can ignite even one of them in anger.

I say let him jump up and down and not give in to him to see what happens.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think we shouldn't wait for them to attack.

North Korea has repressed it's people into the dark ages. No food, no water, no electricity.

I read some heartbreaking accounts of NK from journalists that traveled there.

With their activity in the drugs and nuclear arms trade, their belligerent defiance of human rights and irresponsible posturing I think there just needs to be an 'accident' that takes out their nuclear capability.

This sounds harsh, and I am generally against hegemony and imperialism but the only thing 'sanctions' do is further repress the common folks.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
Anything to bring the Obama Administration back to the bargaining table! Every time North Korea has negotiated with Bill Clinton, they have won big concessions. Kim Jong Il probably he can do even better with Hillary!

S & F

I'm surprised Obama has not prostrated himself before little Kimmy.
For all the Chest pounders out there. No, we shouldn't attack North Korea.

Little Kimmy just wants attention. He has farted around for decades. He wants recognition. It's as simple as wanting to be seen as a "Nuclear Power" For some twisted reason he thinks having this ability should gain him respect. Kimmy it's not what you have but how you treat your people and others.

The US should know this by now as well.

The negotiations have been drawn out for years. He wants to achieve some sort of 1 on 1 negotiations with the US only. Meanwhile the US stance has been and will be that all of the other members Russia, China, Japan, The US and South Korea should all be a part of the talks.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3362900057b.jpg[/atsimg]

Kimmy doesn't want that. Before anybody starts in with the BS about sanctions causing more harm than good. Remember Kimmy could have spent those Billions on food and medicine for his own people instead of spending them on achieving Nukes.

He has this paranoia about the US invading his country. Some say we have not attacked becuase of China or we haven't becuase he now has nukes. WHATEVER. The fact remains is that in either case if true we wont attack. So why is he still so paranoid?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db5ff0b5d72f.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

With their activity in the drugs and nuclear arms trade, their belligerent defiance of human rights and irresponsible posturing I think there just needs to be an 'accident' that takes out their nuclear capability.

So you think the US should send in the CIA maybe using South Korea agents, locate some strategic targets and send in some smart bombs or whatever it takes, maybe but one into Kim Jong's bedroom with him in it, right?

That'll make quite a buzz at the UN as they try to sort that all out!

This sounds harsh, and I am generally against hegemony and imperialism

Yea, it does, especially if you are someone like Fidel Castro or Hugo Chavez and other enemies of the West. They always get upset!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It's just Little Kimmy being Little Kimmy...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
To tell you the truth , as much as I don't agree with this administration, KJI won't get Shizno. This country, Hillary included, learned the game. She is a saavy diplomat. It is a shame Obama decided to closet her.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
At the same time, I believe he knows that no country is prepared to have to take care of a country of people who are as many have said, been oppressed into the dark ages.

That's one heckuva economic burden for any group or single country which wishes to overthrow him.

At some point, that is also part of his bargaining chips, as sick as it is.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
North korea, will be part of the change of the World. We will look back at it saying why did we not do this or that...

Guarenteed..

the bully taking lunch money...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The country to watch is China, as they are the closest ally of North Korea. They do not like that the North Koreans have nuclear weapons, but they are the ones who are keeping North Korea where it is.
I believe that what North Korea is doing a bit of sabre rattling right now. The leader can not afford to lose the confidence of the military and is ensuring that his son takes over as leader, so it is also a bit of politics.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Maybe i'm missing something here, but in what way could Korea "threaten" the United States when their weaponry probably isn't even capable of hitting Hawaii. Even assuming that they did have nuclear weapons...they would only be able to reach targets within a relatively close range...if they were allowed to go that far.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ravhen

Maybe i'm missing something here, but in what way could Korea "threaten" the United States when their weaponry probably isn't even capable of hitting Hawaii.

Maybe but...U.S. may be within N. Korea missile range in 3 years, official warns

So maybe they can just hit Japan or Australia right now but that would still upset a lot of people!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The nice thing about North Korea is that its a small country.

The US can pound them for weeks/months/years with conventional GPS and Laser guided bombs till there is nothing of any military value left.

We would not even have to invade them just let South Korea have at it.

Japan and South Korea are unlikely to complain about us using there bases to do it from.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

The nice thing about North Korea is that its a small country. The US can pound them for weeks/months/years with conventional GPS and Laser guided bombs till there is nothing of any military value left.

Or maybe not because the US has nothing to gain by punishing NK militarily and much to gain by letting Kim Jong Il destroy himself as an example to the world! He seems to be doing that very well!

But you are right my friend, we could and perhaps should, but not the Obama administration!

[edit on 4/11/09 by plumranch]

top topics

join