It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do YOU think is the future of the Republican party?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
Maybe, but who IS the leadership?

That's what we're about to find out over the course of the next 12-18 months.

Regarding Romney and Huckabee, I think those guys were always pretenders. They've managed some national prominence simply because of the 2008 election and the miserable field of candidates they had to compete against. As for Gingrich, he's done. He rendered himself irrelevant by admonishing conservatives in favor of a candidate who has now jumped ship to support the Democrat.

If I had to guess, once the dust settles following next years mid-terms, Pence, Cantor or Ryan will emerge from the House as the true frontrunner for the 2012 nomination and as the leader of the party.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

The GOP has already divided into 2 camps. The right wing conservatives composed mainly of the old angry white man faction and the more moderate yuppie upwardly mobile fiscal conservative but socially permissive log cabin, big tent types. At one time the religious right was a group to contend with and they may lean to the right but in the long run they may be more akin to the left wing crazies than anything else.

Regardless the GOP needs to find a contender that has a bit more charisma than McCain. That shouldn't be to hard.

Anyway the future election will resemble the "Anyone but Bush" model unless Oboma can pull something miraculous out of his hat because the blame is going straight to him for the mess we're in. Plus he didn't live up to his campaign promises; Just like the GOP candidate won't live up to his.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Maybe, but Huck polls well with party mucky mucks.
Rommney has the money and he was certainly the anoited one on 08.
Speaking of money, money matters in politics. Will the big money donors go with the teaparty crowd? I have my doubts.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Glenn Beck will become the new Rush. The party needs to have all new leaders and disavow the previous leadership in order for it to succeed. How many of you see Guliani still trying to show his face anywhere possible? We don't hear much about the rebuild the party effort, if you remember months ago all the GOP leaders parading around saying they would rebuild it better under a bigger tent.

Honestly, what they need is to drop the religious stuff, and embrace the moral highroad of checks and balances in government. Start supporting the intention of the constitution in the benefit of the people. A party that openly admits they have corruption and seeks to eradicate corruption by creating and supporting restrained powers of government will get the support of the people. This must be the focus. The people have lost faith in these parties that try to promise us the world at the expense of our liberties.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Regardless the GOP needs to find a contender that has a bit more charisma than McCain. That shouldn't be to hard.

Anyway the future election will resemble the "Anyone but Bush" model unless Oboma can pull something miraculous out of his hat because the blame is going straight to him for the mess we're in. Plus he didn't live up to his campaign promises; Just like the GOP candidate won't live up to his.

Once again, I will remind everyone that McCain was nominated because of his primary wins. In other words, the Repubs went crazy voting for him.
If anybody made a bad choice it was Repub voters.

I think it's too early for a real backlash against Obama, despite ATS and right wingers spin. After all, RW'ers hated Obama in the first place, naturally they are pronouncing him in big trouble. There's a long time to go, events happen fast, popularity rises and falls. I am sceptical that todays election are an indicator for Dems or Obama, I think it's too localised. I do agree that by '12 if things still suck, he will have an uphill battle. we shall see.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Romney's chances at this point look very poor to me. He may be able to buy his way into the field, but he still can't escape his inconsistency on gun rights and abortion with social conservatives, and fiscal conservatives probably aren't going to back him either after the failure of Romney Care. Not only that, but age is a factor. He'd turn 66 shortly after taking office if he were to win in 2012.

Huckabee? I do think he has a better chance than Romney, if for no other reason than the fact that he has a populist approach that will play well in many circles, but that was a problem with many fiscal conservatives last time around, as were his stances on immigration as governor of Arkansas. I wouldn't completely write him off as with Romney, but I don't think his chances are particularly good.

I expect that the 2012 GOP nominee will be someone who is relatively new to the general public and someone roughly the same age as Obama, if not younger.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
Once again, I will remind everyone that McCain was nominated because of his primary wins. In other words, the Repubs went crazy voting for him.
If anybody made a bad choice it was Repub voters.

I disagree strongly on this point. Republicans did not go crazy voting for McCain. They voted for McCain because he was the best of a poor field of candidates and emerged from the pack as the candidate that had the fewest weaknesses. Basically, McCain was Bob Dole v.2.0, with similar results.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

If we have ANY sense at all. I mean even the slightest, slim glimmer of sense EVERYONE will abandon BOTH the Republican and Democrat parties. If people havn't learned by now that we are being systematically screwed by BOTH sides then it doesn't matter for crap. We're all doomed and deservedly so. BOTH parties are dens of ethically bereft, self-serving, predatory, bottom feeders. Exactly how much proof do people need before they catch on?

Well said they are ALL pigs jockeying to feed at the trough. Just check on the increase in the wealth of a politician and it becomes clear they are bought and paid for.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Honestly, what they need is to drop the religious stuff, and embrace the moral highroad of checks and balances in government. Start supporting the intention of the constitution in the benefit of the people. A party that openly admits they have corruption and seeks to eradicate corruption by creating and supporting restrained powers of government will get the support of the people. This must be the focus. The people have lost faith in these parties that try to promise us the world at the expense of our liberties.

That would be noble indeed! I would support that.
Looking across 6th from my window in LA, I have a view of The California Club, which is a private club for really rich guys ( to put it bluntly). It's the watering hole for Old Money, and the California elite, mostly Repubs and mostly people you never heard of, but they ( and money) pull the strings.
Let me assure you, most of these powerful people really don't care about the above, they care about money and business. These are the people that finance the Repub Party. Liberty is not on their minds. They have allready got all the liberty money can buy. I just don't see these folks meshing with the Beck crowd.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
there is no conservative any more, no liberal either in politics. ron paul is our only hope in my personal opinon, but while the fed and other elitests own washington he wont be able to do much.. the differences between a republican and democratic president right now are very superficial

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

These are the people that finance the Repub Party. Liberty is not on their minds. They have allready got all the liberty money can buy. I just don't see these folks meshing with the Beck crowd.

That's right......

The real political mechanizations are worked out on the golf course and in places like you described. Rush and Beck are mainly vehicles to tag advertising on to. Much ado about nothing. Ideology candy for the kids that serve the same purpose as the NFL, NASCAR and Sponge Bob.

Still I get a big kick out of Rush!!

[edit on 3-11-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by glevel

the only thing legitamate about your thread sir is your lack of understanding about the monetary influence and the political process itself..TV? Me? maybe you should heed your own advice because that is where you got all your talking points from. THERE IS NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2 PARTIES EXCEPT FOR STYLE.

Umm...last time i checked, there isn't a "Conservative" party.

It's a republican party with members who consider themselves "conservatives"

I've never seen

President George Bush - C
President Barack Obama - L

No, it's D and R. Democrat and Republican.

Now, that being said, what will happen to the republican party?

I think it's already started happening.

What did they do in response to the 2008 democrat party?

They elected a black man to run the party
They had a woman to be VP

But both came in response to the dems first move.

They are mimicking. Copying.
Even RUSH LIMBAUGH agrees that the GOP is copycating the democrats.

So what becomes of them?

They splinter off like someone said before. Most become democrats because they realize that people are sick of the biggoted ways of the GOP

and the rest become ultra radicals screaming in a dark corner some where about how queers suck ass and guns rule.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

They splinter off like someone said before. Most become democrats because they realize that people are sick of the biggoted ways of the GOP

and the rest become ultra radicals screaming in a dark corner some where about how queers suck ass and guns rule.

I agree the leadership seems clueless.
Again, let me stress the money machine is not concerned with "morality".
They have gay kids, affairs, alchoholism, you name it. They know it's part of life. they will give their money to whoever serves them best, ideology isn't that important. if that's the Dems, so be it, they will finance them.
Where does that leave the Palins, the Beckians ( LOL), the tea partiers?
I guess just outta luck.
NOTE: THIS IS A REPLY TO SNARF! I SCREWED UP!

[edit on 3-11-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well, the electiona are over.
Despite the big Repub spin about Obama, nothing has really changed.

Interestingly, the "conservative" guy in NY lost, while the winning Repubs
are more traditional, even, dare I say it "RINO'S" in that neither based their campaigns on being anti-Obama.
Hmmm. Looks to me like nothing was settled within the party, but the results favor traditional Reps over the teapartiers.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Does it really matter what the repubs will do tomorrow when the focus should be on what the dems are doing today.

I doubt the repubs will go away any time soon if the dems keep shooting themselves on the foot.
I predict this time next year most of the same folks here will be crying "stolen election".

This vid says a lot.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
If we have ANY sense at all. I mean even the slightest, slim glimmer of sense EVERYONE will abandon BOTH the Republican and Democrat parties. If people havn't learned by now that we are being systematically screwed by BOTH sides then it doesn't matter for crap. We're all doomed and deservedly so. BOTH parties are dens of ethically bereft, self-serving, predatory, bottom feeders. Exactly how much proof do people need before they catch on?

Amen.

The GOP and DNC should BOTH be prosecuted under RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act).. if (when) found guilty, they should be dissolved as illegal while the 'leaders', ALL, spend lots of un-quality time in federal prison. (Add the CIA, Kroll, CFR, Tri-losers et al to the list of defendants... as a legal douche of the US political process).

A case can be made the GOP / DNC have conspired to not just violate the UN charter, which is the US 'law of the land'... but the dick'n bush neo-clown crew, obama, the MSM and all the elite scum agreed to sodomize, defile and penetrate with a foreign object the UN charter on national television when they belched out silly reasons to support / start a war of aggression -Vs- iraq.

Of course nothing of the sort will ever happen, as much as the GOP deserves to die.. the MSM will resuscitate the "right wing" corpse in order to keep the elites divide & conqueror machine in place... and there is still a plethora of mindless empty headed vessels who still believe they are "free", they have have picked the GOP, and whatever turd sandwich leader, as their "team".. and will vote for any polished turd with an (R).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join