It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran shuts down leading newspaper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Iran shuts down leading newspaper

www.edition.cnn.com

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Iran's leading business newspaper was shut down Monday for repeatedly breaking the country's press laws, state-run Press TV reported.

The paper called Sarmayeh has been critical of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's economic and monetary policies in the past, according to Press TV.

The paper's editor, Saeed Laylaz, was also arrested in the aftermath of Iran's June 12 presidential election and charged with instigating post-vote unrest, the network reported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It seems this is not the firs time Iran shuts down a newspaper that is critical of it's own government.

Newspaper, Etemad-e Melli, was ordered closed in August for what had been described as "publishing unlawful and criminal material," local news outlets reported at the time.

The newspaper is aligned with Iranian reformist Mehdi Karrubi, who lost in the controversial presidential election.

That newspaper was shuttered shortly after Karrubi printed accusations that post-election detainees in Iran were raped behind bars.

I wonder what would happen if the US took the same root? We would not have very many news outlets left in this country would we?

Does anybody think this comes on the eve of the 4th for a reason? Perhaps to deter any who would dare protest in large groups?

~Keeper

www.edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I wonder what would happen if the US took the same root? We would not have very many news outlets left in this country would we?

We don't have any real mainstream news outlets left in this country. The only place to get relatively unbiased news today is blogs and other non-corporate internet sources.

The US did not take the same route as Iran -- but we ended up in the same place anyway. Corporations bought every mainstream media outlet. On top of that, the CIA owns everyone of any importance in the news industry. Double whammy. Mainstream journalism died many years ago.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The White House "Going to war with Fox News" is the first thing that comes to my mind when I read this. Though I guess in Iran the government can get away with shutting down a newspaper because they don't have a Constitution that guarantees rights to their citizens. Makes me thankful to be an American citizen. The Constitution in this country remains a thorn in the foot of those who would seek to silence opposing viewspoints - kind of like the current administration.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by praxis

Yes I have to agree, however the take over in the US was more "covert" and is still sold under the guise of real journalism.

What I was referring to was a flat out shut down of business by the government, which I think in the future could potentially be a reality if your rights as American's are continually stepped on and destroyed in the name of "security and freedom."

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join