It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Graphic Info) Placenta Teddy Bear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Why... That's all I got to say is... Why?

I had a hard time reading this for some reason. Not even sure if it's worth sharing.

What's next... Shrunk'n heads... make animals out of your apprendix? I know this isn't any worse than having animal skins and such, but there definitely is a "Yuck" factor!

Message to MODS... If this is to graphic for ATS, please feel free to delete it.

Source

Doing it for the Kids is a current exhibition put on by [re] design to showcase the latest, most innovative sustainable toy designs from around the globe. Among them, the Placenta Teddy Bear by designer Alex Green. A crafty alternative for those who don’t necessarily want to eat their baby’s placenta, but want to pay their respects to the life sustaining organ by turning it into a one-of-a-kind teddy bear. Green’s ‘Twin Teddy Kit’ ‘celebrates the unity of the infant, the mother and the placenta,’ and enables preparation of the placenta so it may be transformed into a teddy bear. The placenta must be cut in half and rubbed with sea salt to cure it. After it is dried out, it is treated with an emulsifying mixture of tannin and egg yolk to make it soft and pliable. Then, you craft it into a teddy bear. But is this not quite so cuddly creation cute or cringe-worthy? You tell us.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Oh. My. God.

I really don't know what to say about this. But you're right, x2Strongx... "Why?"

That about sums it up.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
this type of thing just cries out to maniacs everywhere.

"for those who don’t necessarily want to eat their baby’s placenta, but want to pay their respects to the life sustaining organ..."

What....the....hell....?

they act like it is some sort of magical hat or something.....how is eating placenta not cannibalism?

and would they eat someone's brain? that to me is even more life sustaining and amazing.

who would want to cuddle with a placental teddy bear?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
How is this any different from leather? Is it because when you have a leather jacket or any number of leather or animal hide uses in your hands, you don't care? Not likely I'm guessin', the fact is, is that that isn't really all that bad, humans are animals like any other and technically if bovine's had the same level of intelligence we do (Not saying that they don't for all we know) they'd be making "Human Skin Jackets"

But that is just my 2cents

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

yeah thats true, but people are generally held in higher regards than animals and such.

i guess what confuses me the most is why people are so obsessed with placentas.

also that bear doesnt look cuddly. its slightly frankensteinish looking.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You do understand where Parchment and Vellum come from, right?

Or where the primary ingredient in your hair care products come from, right?

In many cultures, the Human Placenta is not a waste product to be disposed of, but considered something sacred. Matter of fact, there are many health benefits to a newly nursing mother and child to eat her own Placenta. Many Americans I know either eat or save their Placenta. My daughter's mother and I planted a tree when my daughter was born and used the Placenta to fertilize the tree, burying it at the base of the sapling.

To the Made-In-China Consumerist Americans, sure a Human Placenta Teddy Bear might seem creepy and a little like something you'd see coming from a company owned by Hannibal Lector, but to a lot of Back-to-Earthers in America this is actually a neat concept.

I wouldn't get one for my own child, but I do know many who would consider it. It's not *THAT* strange of a concept.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This whole placenta thing is nasty. Now we get placenty-bears. THESE are the people that 2012 is meant to cleanse, if there was ever a reason for it. *blech*.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
This whole placenta thing is nasty. Now we get placenty-bears. THESE are the people that 2012 is meant to cleanse, if there was ever a reason for it. *blech*.

I beg to differ... the 2012 thing would likely cleanse the people who have forgotten that they are still animals, even if they *can* talk, sing, and do the cuban shuffle

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wait....People eat that? I think that is the most shocking part of the story!

Don't get me wrong making a teddy bear out of it is crazy, why would someone be compelled to eat it?

-Al

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

LOL!!!

What's next?

Stuffing Maw-Maw, and Paw-Paw, and putting them in the living room as conversation pieces?

No matter how sanitary these teddy bears supposedly are, it just makes ya wonder!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by x2Strongx

LOL!!!

What's next?

Stuffing Maw-Maw, and Paw-Paw, and putting them in the living room as conversation pieces?

No matter how sanitary these teddy bears supposedly are, it just makes ya wonder!

Yeah reminds me of the movie Devils rejects almost to the end, you know the part with Dr Satan. Or is that the other Rob Zombie movie?

-Al

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
Wait....People eat that? I think that is the most shocking part of the story!

Don't get me wrong making a teddy bear out of it is crazy, why would someone be compelled to eat it?

There is a recent article in Time Magazine about this practice and the shock and horror of one of their columnists having to psychologically come to terms with his wife's decision to eat their child's placenta. It's a rather humorous read.

Afterbirth: It's Whats For Dinner

Again, not saying that it's not gross and disturbing, especially to modern men who are squeamish about such things, preferring to be as far removed from where our food comes from, let alone traditional practices that are making a cultural comeback. However, it does gives a humorous insight into the mind of a man who loved his wife enough to be open-minded to her choice no matter how much the thought personally disgusted him.

Actually, the whole issue of using the Placenta (and even the Umbilical Cord) rather than discarding them reminds me of Native Americans who would not waste anything and would put to use every thing. Although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is something to be said about not being wasteful, rather than resorting to a disposable culture.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have read that there are several benefits to doing this like women that suffer from post-partum depression.

Now maybe if they were going to make it into a pill form or just synthesize all the nutrients that go into a placenta... maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Now would this be regulated by the FDA?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Where I live we don't even get to keep the placenta: it's retained by the hospital to use in medicine and beauty products. Isn't it so in America?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This is about the same thing as having your appendix removed and keeping in a jar of formaldahyde (or however you spell it).

Reeks a little of one's overly "specialness" if you ask me.

One's organ's are not meant to be displayed. Yuck.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

AWWW YOU TOOK MY JOKE!

Oh well, I'll say it anyway.

Didn't Hannibal Lector have one of these as a child? Yes, I beleive it was the special edition placenta baby!

Of all the idiotic ideas.......

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Theoretically, it shouldn't matter, but in practice we as humans have certain notions of what's acceptable, which help us live and work in our (vastly imperfect) society. Some taboo subjects are there for a reason.

I mean, if somebody decides to celebrate unity of lifeforms on planet Earth, they might want to mix excrement from mice, man and whale and make a giant sculpture of the globe, complete with continents. Wonder how many people would find it cute.

That whole teddy bear is exploitation.

top topics

join