It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA to store a Yottabyte of your calls, email, etc...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In Utah, the National Security Agency is building a $2 billion storage facility that will house and analyze all forms of electronic communication...a potential yottabyte of everyone's (formerly) personal data. So how big is a yottabyte? CrunchGear puts it well:

There are a thousand gigabytes in a terabyte, a thousand terabytes in a petabyte, a thousand petabytes in an exabyte, a thousand exabytes in a zettabyte, and a thousand zettabytes in a yottabyte. In other words, a yottabyte is 1,000,000,000,000,000GB.

Link
gizmodo.com...

That's a lot of storage, what do you guys think of this?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by glan

I think that if you believe this hasn't been happening over the past several years, you are delusional. The NSA is in business for just this purpose. There is no way to sift through phone calls and save only the stuff they think might be bad. They keep it all. You have a file. I have a file. This post will be in my file. Hi guys! Don't say anything you might regret. They just ran out of server space where they were. Server farms have capabilities of holding unimaginable amounts of data. Think about it. You can buy a USB terrabyte drive for $100. Big brother has been watching for a while.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If the $2 billion they're spending is the American kind of billions, then it would be $2,000,000,000 dollars for approximate 305,529,237 Americans - that leaves just $6.55 per person. According to this random article, there should be a 1.2 Petabyte drive available for about $750 now. Let's say the government got an incredibly nice deal to get those drives at 10% of the cost, $75. They can buy 2666666 petabyte drives with their $2 billion - that's 26666.6 exabytes, 26.6 zetabyte, and .0266 yottabytes.
They can't even buy 1 yottabyte with $2 billion.

However, in this financially peachy plan, they would have .087 petabyte per person, or 87 terabytes - that is a wealth of information as well. All the data of all the computers I've had so far would fit on that space easily - add in all my DVD's, CD's, scan in all my files and you still haven't filled half of it. As harddrives get cheaper and cheaper, they'll be able to store more and more - even though they already have enough storage for e a wealth of information on everyone.

Hopefully there are no easy ways to scan through terabytes of data ;]

[edit on 3-11-2009 by scraze]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
"This one facility will burn through as much electricity as the entire city of Salt Lake "
Holy, oh my, wtf?
That article will not stay up on my screen. I refresh it and then it embeds itself in some weird code. At least I think that's the techspeak for it.
The mormons of Utah are rumored to have astounding geneological records. Some are said to go back to mankind's beginings.
Now the NSA has yodabytes. (is it me or did some george lucas fan get to name that thing yodabytes
:lol

The parallel being that the NSA will have files on individuals' lives and they will be right next to the mormon-based facility which keeps track of everyone's family lines. So the NSA can know everything about you and then run across the street to the mormon facility and find out everything about your family blood lines.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by glan

I think that if you believe this hasn't been happening over the past several years, you are delusional. The NSA is in business for just this purpose. There is no way to sift through phone calls and save only the stuff they think might be bad. They keep it all. You have a file. I have a file. This post will be in my file. Hi guys! Don't say anything you might regret. They just ran out of server space where they were. Server farms have capabilities of holding unimaginable amounts of data. Think about it. You can buy a USB terrabyte drive for $100. Big brother has been watching for a while.

This is absolutely hilarious. As if they haven't been working on this for decades now?

What do you think they were created for? Fun?

These agencies are specifically designed for spying.

Just as a poster did on that same page: Im gonna have fun with this.

Our president, is the bomb, cause he hates terrorists, that cause destruction, by bombing, major US cities.

There NSA: put that in your pipe and smoke it. Come get some!

There, I said all the major key words form a 1978 memo from IBM about security. You think they will come get me? Or flag my cpu? I hope so!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Imagine the things I could do with a yottabyte let alone them. This is yet another fleecing of our freedoms. Will they end?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by glan

This is absolutely hilarious. As if they haven't been working on this for decades now?

What do you think they were created for? Fun?

These agencies are specifically designed for spying.

Just as a poster did on that same page: Im gonna have fun with this.

Our president, is the bomb, cause he hates terrorists, that cause destruction, by bombing, major US cities.

There NSA: put that in your pipe and smoke it. Come get some!

There, I said all the major key words form a 1978 memo from IBM about security. You think they will come get me? Or flag my cpu? I hope so!

I agree with you all I think it's been happening for years, but we have this damn terrorist list, patriot act, and now it's all open that they will use that as if we didn't know and make it public. I know most of everything is cataloged if you will.

I REALLY do think it's just getting worse, and I don't think they are targeting "terrorist" just the everyday citizen, and for those of you who say "I have nothing to hide, go ahead and tap all my sh*t" that's not the point. If you don't get it now I hope you will 1 day...but that day may be to late.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I find it amusing how people have the "freedom" to pay for the liberation/removal of said freedoms.
They could save all that money [But then how would they justify our freedom to be taxed?] and just haul in random people and make examples out of them.
The disinfo/media machine can lend their overwhelming derogatory to the character of those people convincing us all how dangerous they are while simultaneously instilling the big brother fear complex in our collective psyche'.
(Oh wait) been there, done that too.
I guess the are just covering all the bases then huh?
Better make sure.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Reading this makes one wonder just exactly how advanced we are and why exactly the goverment isnt sharing that information with the public all of a sudden that matrix system makes sense

top topics

join