It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some painting of mine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
External link, its a high-res version.

img519.imageshack.us...

Worked away at this for a solid month, had this idea one day and some little magic beans may have played a part in its creation. I'd look at and it would induce crazy thoughts and memories, overall fun and interesting for me.

I saw some of Alex Grey's stuff in a gallery here this summer and I think he uses acrylics like I do, and i said hell, I can paint like that, i just need some patience. I rushed too many art pieces last year I think.

There's some smaller versions of my other stuff on my site, i think its in my sig or in my profile, or if you go on deviantart.com cavemandd.deviantart.com...

cheers.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

I really like the nature of duality, and paradise.

You are very talented, but jeez, give some warning as when you go to deviant art, you as a skeleton pops up and I wasn't prepared for that.

Very nice work.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

That is a beautiful and moving work of art CDD.

Honestly I am very impressed with all the complex emotions conveyed within.

Thanks for sharing it with us ... you can be sure that, I for one, will spend some time contemplating it's beauty and power.

Fantastic stuff!

[edit on 3 Nov 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thanks guys, kind words.

haha, you would think i should give you more warning about the paintings, not the skeleton self. Is it wrong that I'm trying to induce seisures?

Again, and kind words, thanks guys.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
wow
now that's a painting I could stare at for hours and discover something new in it every min. I love how you worked in the symbolism.
Great job!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Really good stuff caveman, reallly liked nacromancer acolyte and nature of duality

You're very talented and I will deffinately check back when you put some new ones up

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thanks guys.

I always like showing my art here because of the themes discussed on this site.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I like that

what size is it - and what are you working with - oil?

edit: sorry - need to read more thoroughly - acrylics

still would be interested in the size though

[edit on 11/3/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

36 x 24 inches

Acrylics yes, with flourescent acrylics, some gold metalic paint, prisma colour pencil crayon for some of the fine lines. I was just going to get what I was going paint with it but I figured it looked decent enough to keep. I layered some paint over some lines, and some lines are just paint.

Its the biggest piece I've made yet. I need to go bigger though, take up wall space in a gallery or something, but you never know, i haven't tried yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

the color is really nice - it glows

sometimes oils "glow" better than acrylics :-)

but this definitely glows

did you just spontaneously dig in - or did you have a plan?

also - not sure how small you usually paint - but did it change how you worked when you went bigger?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

The whole painting itself took a lot longer then i was used to. And the only plan was the concept of a path with crazy distractions that lead us off the path. The path representing sort of the clarity to flow in the direction you're going, which seems obvious but through our distractions we often forget how sparkly, bright and simplistic it is. Basically the idea was like... i get these moments of dissatisfaction in life, and then I'll meditate or something and almost laugh about how silly my concerns were etc.

Sort of the madness of my mind.

I let the (censored topic) decide how it flowed, lol... almost every night except for the fine details. That matrix looking cube inside a sphere is something I saw... purple, covered in letters, you couldn't see the edges but they were implied, and i was like observing from inside the sphere. Everything else was in the moment of that 3rd eye pulsation if you will.

Yes I keep hearing about how great oils are, i will get into them one day. I'm getting fed up trying to produce a certain luminosity that acrylics lack, thats why i started mixing with flourescents. I only use flourescent orange when I need orange. If you want a bright green, flourescent yellow is the way to go, its practically green already. White and black are such annoying acrylics to work with, unless its airbrush paint. Airbrush black is DEEEEP, but i stopped using it.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

The whole painting itself took a lot longer then i was used to...

I get the feeling the whole thing was a new experience - size/time/approach - but it was fun - wasn't it? :-)

...And the only plan was the concept of a path with crazy distractions that lead us off the path...

Sort of the madness of my mind.

Everything else was in the moment of that 3rd eye pulsation if you will.

so mostly spontaneous - it shows - but in a good way

Yes I keep hearing about how great oils are, i will get into them one day.

they do have that extra magical quality...plus - they smell like art :-)

I'm getting fed up trying to produce a certain luminosity that acrylics lack, thats why i started mixing with flourescents.

have you tried working with different acrylic mediums/glazes? it helps - but a lot of extra effort for a similar effect

anyway - wasn't sure what to expect - but I really liked this piece

will be interesting to see what happens if you keep working bigger

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

After this one i'm doing now, I want to go gallery size, something much bigger, and possibly use oils or mix with acrylic.

And yes it was a very spontaneous piece. I find its good to plan what your doing but it can also work against you. You try so hard to make it something and get dissatisfied when you can't produce that, either that or the objects look so placed, it can lack flow sometimes. With this one I just tried to trust myself, you fear getting carried away in the spontaneousness and think you'll ruin the piece, and if that happens so be it, but you have to trust that vibe I find. Its expression right, its the same as talking for me, when I don't force what i'm trying to say, it usually flows out well anyway, so I try to do the same with art. I actually observed a lot how my room mate paints, he does very abstract stuff and just goes with the flow, I tried to adapt that yet still maintain the attention to detail I like.

I've been experimenting with 3D art but it can be a bit of a headache.

I have one painting on bristol board, then with 4 pieces of clear acrylic plastic separated 1 inch apart in front of it. I learned the plastic was very hard to paint on for one without mixing it with gesso or something. As well, the painting didn't come out the best, but I can always open it up fix it. Its encased in a wooden frame that weighs way too much and could also use a better look.

I was thinking of starting to frame my stuff in that glowing neon acrylic plastic. It would look cool in a gallery under a black light or something.

I like the use of neon / flourescent colour, because it makes it seem like its beyond 3d colour, beyond the colour wheel, like if it were another dimension and thats what colour was like lol...

Goin' for the ultra psychedelic gallery experience.

I'm working on one right now but its a slow process, its as wide but not as tall. I wanted to experiment with a more panoramic scale.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

:-)

I learned the plastic was very hard to paint on for one without mixing it with gesso or something.

try putting down a base of clear acrylic medium (a cajillion different kinds these days) first - let it dry - won't be clean/clear as just plastic - but still translucent - then you can do pure acrylic washes on top - light still comes through

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.

Always lookin' for new tricks.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
2 big thumbs up my friend!!!

Your skill with the medium of paints and brushes is something to be taken back by!
I really hope you go down that road where you use your art to make something of yourself!!
I must say, you are one of the most talented members on BTS/ATS that shares artwork with us here!!!

You make it look easy to paint such beautiful pictures!!!
We all have that inner beauty about us in some form.. And you have found that nich that shines through!!!

Being an artist, I know we are our own worse critic!
But let it be known man.. Your work inspires!!!

Zy5

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Nice work!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
First, great artwork! Love it, and I like the Alice and chains in the background too. I have a very artistic grunge friend, but he composes piano instead of painting, lol.

I was reading on your Deviant about how you are shaky so you don't want to use medium that smears/dries slow. Well I watched this video of Dali painting one time, and he uses this piece of wood that slides up and down the canvas so that you can rest your wrist on it and steady your stroke. Well I looked into it for my painting and it's called a Mahl Bridge. Something you might be interested in. Mahl Bridge

Keep up the talent.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
wow...i am really impressed by the amount of details in this work, u have one hell of a talent. that duality looks awesome, but the first thing that came to me was ''the path to enlightment'', dont ask me why....probably cause of that road headding toward the light. its greeeeeat!!

top topics

join