It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US children face worst poverty in Western world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

US children face worst poverty in Western world

[url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/us-children-face-worst-poverty-in-western-world/story-e6frf7k6-1225793815321]www.heraldsun.com.au[ /url]

NEARLY half of all US children, including an overwhelming majority of black children, will eat meals at some point during their childhood paid for by food stamps, an indicator of poverty, a study showed.
"If you get food stamps, you are by definition in poverty and your household doesn't have many assets," study co-author Mark Rank of Cornell University said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I never thought the figure would be that high! Wow...

Here's a couple of solutions for those children:
1 - Join a gang! Everyone else does it, so why not!

2 - Join any of the US Forces. Free board, clothing, food. Free funeral as well.

At what point will it all bubble over and burst? The stark contrast between haves and have-nots can't continue indefinitiely...

[url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/us-children-face-worst-poverty-in-western-world/story-e6frf7k6-1225793815321]www.heraldsun.com.au[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Perhaps, and I'm just going out on a limb here, black people in poverty should stop having multiple children of whom they cannot support.

Oh sorry, impoverished African Americans.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well, we can thank over zealous Liberals for that. This is not political trolling, but think about it. They started welfare to help people who did not have a penny to their name. Then liberals wanted to give blacks "equal" opportunities by trying to increase their "cost of living". Then it became a way of life for them. They started pumping out kids in record numbers to support themselves and their drug/alcohol problems. So now people dont even try to get jobs, they depend on welfare and so the vicious circle continues as their kids do the same thing or end up in prison.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is the cost of the "American dream". The system is flawed and only benefits the rich! When will Americans wake up and realize they are nothing but slaves for their elite?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
Perhaps, and I'm just going out on a limb here, black people in poverty should stop having multiple children of whom they cannot support.

Oh sorry, impoverished African Americans.

The last thing that should be done on ATS is mention race, because you are certainly not the most tolerant bunch. Especially the threads where this place turns into a white supremist hate site.

Let's try to keep this thread from going there, as there are REALLY black americans on ATS, and folks that are tired of the garbage, OK?

Unless you truly understand why there are what you call "black people in poverty" in America, then you should not put in your two cents.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I would like to reiterate the exclusion of racial stereotypes as the answer to the threads premise. There are many impoverished families from all cultural ancestories throughout the entire nation.

Please be mindful of this and hesitate prior to making blanking statements that are in many cases untrue.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was listening to a report about how some schools were considering closing because so many children are getting sick with H1N1 in some isolated areas, but those opposed to closing schools argue that if the schools close many children will have no food, the only meals they get are the free and reduced cost meals at school.

I really didn't listen to the rest of the report because I was so blown away by the revelation that things are actually so bad now in places that school meals are the only sustenance for many children.

Sad times, and getting worse.

Get a government job now if you can, or consider getting involved organized crime... combine both if you can and you will live well while everyone else suffers.

[edit on 2-11-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

This isn't a sign of anything other than we have a nation that is getting less intelligent and undereducated each and every year, regardless of race.

If you cannot work enough to feed your own children then you shouldn't keep having them. The best thing we could is do some sort of forced but reversible sterilization on anyone receiving welfare for more than a year.

A couple should be able to work at Taco Bell and be able to pay the rent and feed their kids, but there are so many peple that would rather by drugs, alchohol, or a new set of rims or a gold tooth grill before they feed their own kids. Why is this? Because they know the taxpayer will take care of thier kids.

[edit on 2-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Race has nothing to do with it, and there is no "secret" that poor black people know other than laziness is rewarded through welfare.

Also, how does one become "REALLY" black? I suppose if I were a REALLY white American, which I'm not, I would feel insulted by your implying that White Supremacy is bad.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TeddiRevolution

There are lots of poor white folks who have too many kids. It's not a black/white issue.

Also, how does one become "REALLY" black?

I believe MegaCurious meant that it's not just white people who come to this site, --really.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

This is the cost of the "American dream". The system is flawed and only benefits the rich! When will Americans wake up and realize they are nothing but slaves for their elite?

Don't the rich pay most of the taxes in the US?

If so then aren't the rich supporting the poor people on welfare.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

WRONG
Lets take a look at the figures for California
If you are lucky enough to get 30hrs a week at Taco Bell, which is rare.
That's $240 a week $960 a month.

The average one-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles rented for $1,397 a month at the end of last year. Prices vary per location.
source
Another source

In a recent survey, the National Low Income Housing Coalition found that individuals need an income of $51,000 per year or $24.69 per hour to reasonably afford the rent on a basic two-bedroom apartment in San Jose. Surprisingly, San Jose rents have softened slightly within the last few years. In 2003, the average fair market rent was $1,821. Today, in 2007, that number has decreased to $1,450. These figures were calculated by combining the average rents for all types of apartments-everything from studio units to three bedroom apartments

So then what do you do about electricity, food, gas?

[edit on 2-11-2009 by calstorm]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Oh now do I look stupid? Don't answer

You picked one of the priciest places to live in America. If you are only capable of working at Taco Bell it would be wise to move to the Midwest.

Plus if Cali wasn't ran by a bunch of crazy cannot have enough rules and regs and taxes liberals it probably wouldn't be so expensive there.

If you are only capable of working at Taco Bell then you have to make sacrifices about where you live in the USA.

[edit on 2-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I've only lived on the west coast all my life, so I am pretty ignorant on what the cost of living is in other states. I also know moving take money and its pretty hard to make enough money to afford to move. I call Cali the great sand trap. they get you her and make it impossible for you to leave.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I've only lived on the west coast all my life, so I am pretty ignorant on what the cost of living is in other states. I also know moving take money and its pretty hard to make enough money to afford to move. I call Cali the great sand trap. they get you her and make it impossible for you to leave.

Well maybe Pelosi can get you guys a bailout so you you can bail the hell out of that Liberal hell you are living in. I wish you luck.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I would like to reiterate the exclusion of racial stereotypes as the answer to the threads premise. There are many impoverished families from all cultural ancestories throughout the entire nation.

Please be mindful of this and hesitate prior to making blanking statements that are in many cases untrue.

Thank you.

The article did say the majority of the nearly 50 percent of children living or will be living in poverty is black.

I would think race plays a major factor in this thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Well neither should you. Oh and "Blacks" isnt socially acceptable, its "African American". You should take your own advice... If someone else brings up race, it doesnt mean its ok for you too.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

Why are you focusing on color? Single parent familes headed by a woman are more likely to be poor regardless of color. Even exceptionally well educated and well connected women have been impoverished by divorce.

[edit on 2-11-2009 by eradown]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

As I stated earlier.

The article is the one mentioning race.

I am one of the few who can discuss race. I feel bad for the rest of you who feels like it is a taboo subject.

If you feel uncomfortable discussing race (calling others racist doesn't count) then I don't think there is a need for us to keep replying to each other.

Goodnight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join