It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourists in Australia warned of 6m 'monster' shark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Tourists holidaying in the Australian state of Queensland have been warned to stay out of the water by authorities who fear a giant six metre-long shark might be prowling the coast.

Concerns were raised after a 3m great white shark was found dead with two huge bites taken out of its body. Experts believe the bites were made by an even larger predatory fish.

Swimmers have been warned to stay out of the waters off Stradbroke Island, north of Brisbane.

"It certainly opened up my eyes. I mean the shark that was caught is a substantial shark in itself," Jeff Krause of Queensland Fisheries told the Sydney Daily Telegraph.

Surfers have reacted to the news of the shark attack with shock.

"Whatever attacked and took chunks out of this big shark must be massive," said Ashton Smith, 19. "I've heard about the big one that's lurking out there somewhere.

"We're all being very, very cautious."

Australia is entering summer, a period of the year when shark attacks on humans increase because of the higher number of swimmers in the ocean.

The country's most popular beaches are protected by nets and what are known as drumlines - a series of baited hooks that hang from buoys placed in a line about 500 yards from the shore. However, neither guarantee that sharks cannot get through.

Since the net and drumline programme was introduced in Queensland there has been only one fatal attack on a protected beach.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Was this likely just a bigger Great White Shark? What else could it of been?

Someone on another board mentioned that it might be a Megalodon attack, but wouldnt a Megalodon cause a lot more damage?

[edit on 2-11-2009 by FoxMulder91]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Orcas have been known to kill Great Whites. I'm not sure if there are any populations by Australia, though.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Surely if megalodons existed it would have eaten a 3 metre Great White whole.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6d9d87b370e.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ee01d1b7d31.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7195dd8224b0.jpg[/atsimg]

Freaky..

There is another discussion on this here.

I think a larger shark did it, just putting it out there. Surely, for them to have come to the conclusion that there must be a 6 metre lurking around, they would have examined the bite radius etc.

And check this out!

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
What the authorities aren't telling you is that there were actually 2 giant whites tackling that smaller one at the same time. Talked to a mate of mine who's brother was on that boat and although they couldn't get photographic evidence both giant whites had hold of the smaller one on opposite sides at the same time and hence the smaller one was nearly cut in half.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Please add to existing thread Here

top topics

join